multiple issues with A3 1.8T (Not S3)

Scrappy

Reaction score
If i'm reposting other things, then it's only because of all the problems i've had with my car, I need advice on all of them!

1. Squeaking drivers front wheel, squeeks when driving slowly through town, and is very annoying, squeek speeds up as I do, but over 40mph you can't hear it anymore.

2. Rear brake lights keep getting warning they're out, have changed the bulbs, and the warning is still intermittent. I get one rear light and half the strip lighting up when the warning light is on, but drive for a bit, the warning disappears and all the brake lights work again.

3. Had a mis-fire and it was knocking really loudly inside the head, have had loads of work done replacing a new cylinder head, head gasket etc. not long ago, and knocking came back, follwed by occasion where I pulled away and car jerked really heavily then shuddered badly. Was told it was a coil pack, but the problem was really intermittent, and when I got a new coil pack we swapped them all round and it wasn;t that in the first place. Changed the ignition coil and that seemed to solve the problem. Car seemed much faster, now I have a new problem, in that the car is very sluggish, until it heats up to about 90C then it is fine, boosts quickly and is like normal.

4. When driving hard once it has warmed up, somtimes, (intermittently again, jsut to be annoying) I accelerate and if I slightly come off the accelerator I get a big jerk, but then it's fine again...

5. Weird noise sometimes coming from the fans inside the car like a screeching noise, stops when i turn the fans off, also is intermittent and doesn;t always happen.

6. Has anyone else noticed that if sat in traffic, and you turn the auto air con on, the car engine noise dips slightly as if a loss of power due to the air con being on?

If anyone can help with these problems at all i'd really appreciate it, I bought the car for 3800 a while ago, and i've spent about 1500 so far fixing the thing!! Just want it to work properly!!

oh and forgot to mention that when I am sat at the lights if I pull away fast in 1st and change to 2nd, sometimes theres a big grind in the gears to get to 2nd..

The gear grinding is fairly normal on vag cars

air con causing revs to change is normal too

Squeaking is probably just a brake pad, maybe grease it.

Brake light problem sounds wiring related

Cant help with anything else lol

with regards to number 4, mine did this too however after having the throttle body cleaned it went away, so that might help

3. What year is the car, this could be the ignition control module...

4. Could be MAF, Throttle body, N75 or boost leak. Clean MAF and throttle body as per guides found when doing a search on this forum, and check ALL vaccuum pipes for splits or wear.

5. Common, happens on all models.

6. Again, happens on all models.

thanks for the help guys, will look into the above and let you know! fingers crossed.. although the luck i've had with it so far, it'll probably be something much worse!

cleaned throttle body, but haven't cleaned the MAF yet. I changed the coolant temp sensor too, and again no change. Can't work out why the temperature takes forever to go up to 90 then when you come off a motorway and into traffic again, it goes right down to 80, and takes ages to pick up. It's keeping the turbo from coming in as well, if I've been on a long journey i.e. over 1 hour, it'll warm up and then the turbo is fine, but anything less than that and it doesn;t heat up in time and so no turbo. However, somtimes if I have a journey of say 40 mins, then arrive, turn off the engine then back in the car 5 mins later, it'll heat up fine and turbo will run ok.... i'm so confused!!