Spark Plug - upgrade?

Clach

A3 - 1.8Ts
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade the spark plugs on my A3 -1.8Ts (2000), any thoughts, I heard the platinum ones were no-use...!?

Sorry to start a new thread on this, but I need a quick answer as my service is the tail end of this week, and I may need to order them in ...Cheers. :icon_thumright:

Clach

I got NGK R in mine at the moment and I cant fault them. I bought a new set of NGK standard VW spec but I dont want to change them...

The standard VAG parts are NGK Platinum's; you can get them cheaper over at www.spark-plugs.co.uk - if you order today/tomorrow then you should get them by Thursday.

The platinums are fine, if you want to "upgrade" then you could go for a set of DENSO IK20's which are supposed to be good for 50K miles - I'm running my S3 on IK20's, no complaints here. Some people us regular copper NGKs and change the plugs more often.

You can replace them yourself (10mm spark-plug socket) and plenty of patience, you don't want to cross/strip the thread on the plugs!

IK22 are great on mine, but then I've a seriously remapped car so the heat range colder makes a difference to me...

I assume spark-plugs.co.uk is still the best place to get them?

So what is the difference between Denso IK 20 & IK22 then, would either part fit my A3> Just thought I would make sure before purchasing...!?

Cheers agian,

Clach:keule:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Thanks for all your help folks, a set of Denso IK20'S are now in the post, along with Philips Xtreme's, H4 AND H7's, a new leather armrest...and I just got paid..lol, oh and I nearly forgot, off to Fontain Audi in Iver for my 40k service, could need a loan soon!

:hubbahubba:

ik 22 is a colder plug than a 20. same as an ngk6 stock is hotter than an ngk 7!
But bosch do it the other way a bosch 5 is cooler than a bosch 6!Think Champion is the same.
Basically the effect of copper stock style plug as opposed to a platinum plug is copper acts like a "half" point cooler......the wider electrode on the copper caused less hot spots and tends to draw out a bit more heat.

If your car is remapped I'd go for ngk 7s or IK22s, both about £35 a set+..... but on my BT s3 I run NGK BKR7E plugs, stock copper and they cost less than £2 each!! Runs sweet on 1.6bar!