Transfer box oil leak

S3 Dave

Now running on Heavy Oil
Reaction score
Hi Had MOT today which passed with flying colours!!
I noticed though there was a small amount of oil on the rear of the transfer box where rear diff comes out. Its not a lot and the guy said not to worry. What do people think???
Also what oil is in the box? Gear oil or is it fed from engine?!? It didn't smell like gear oil?! Anyone else had this or rectified this??................

That would be the Haldex clutch?, so you are looking at Haldex oil, needs servicing every 20k miles and a new Haldex filter every 40k miles.

check there isn`t a bottle of oil stuck next to the spare wheel with a leak as there is a gromet there that allows the oil to run down to the haldex to make it look like its leaking.

I had this .............. and so have a couple of others........... big relief when you find it not so when you first see it

Sorry people a bad description!
On the back of the gearbox Where the prop shaft comes out of the what I would call transferbox I have oil here. I would of thought this box would contain gear oil but it does not smell like gear oil!?!?. Could there be a leak above dripping down onto the moving parts?? From a turbo oil feed hose etc??.....................

This is called the bevel box as far as audi is concerned. Its fed oil from the gearbox but has it's own drain plug.

I have a leak there too and also a rumble which sounds like my front RH wheel bearing, which I cant fault. Going to check g box level tomorrow as I have a feeling the oil feed to bevel box is at the top thus if the level is low it'll be starved of oil. If it's ok it must be my wheel bearing.

This is called the bevel box as far as audi is concerned. Its fed oil from the gearbox but has it's own drain plug.

I have a leak there too and also a rumble which sounds like my front RH wheel bearing, which I cant fault. Going to check g box level tomorrow as I have a feeling the oil feed to bevel box is at the top thus if the level is low it'll be starved of oil. If it's ok it must be my wheel bearing.

have the same on mine, what was it in the end???

good shout on the oil in the spare wheel bay.
i noticed an oil leak on garage floor this morning , on further investigation i found fresh oil dripping of ehaust heat sheild at bak.
after looking on here i found the leaking bottle of oil in boot , so thanks guys for saving me again lol

have the same on mine, what was it in the end???

Despite the noise 'obviously' coming from the offside it turned out to be the nearside. Got the NSF whee bearing cx. It was like a getting a new car, didn't realise how bad it was as the failure was so gradual!!