new A3 QT advice needed?

AudiSport

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm blooming excited as I pick up my new car next week, a 2001 A3 1.8T Quattro. I just couldn't afford an S3 so went for the next best thing.

However, I noticed on the engine 5V - or was it V5.. Is it a different engine to my old 1.8T Mk4 golf? I my short text drive it sure felt loads more punchy - but thought this was just beacause I've been driving round in a BIG V6 Audi 80 Cab for the last 6-months..

I'm looking forward to doing a few things to make it feel my own, is there any recommended mods for this car?

recommended mods depend on how deep your pockets are?

yea its 5V turbo (5 valves per cylinder, 3 intake valves, 2 exhaust iirc) same engine as the golf but with 30bhp extra to account for the 4wd

so, 180/ 190 bhp..That all be why it pulled harder than my old golf..

Well i'll start 'small' I think.

It's the 2001 facelift model and the (6-speed) gear knob is horrible, any suggestions? Also, maybe a change of filter to help the engine breather correctly?

AudiSport said:
Well i'll start 'small' I think.

It's the 2001 facelift model and the (6-speed) gear knob is horrible, any suggestions? Also, maybe a change of filter to help the engine breather correctly?

the way most people go when tuning their cars is to make changes to the induction and exhaust, get more in, get more out, start by putting induction mods on first rather than exhaust (for the fact that you get more out when you put more in) then get a decent turbo back exhaust, and a custom map from one of the various tuning companies, should see you around the 230bhp mark

ANDYTQ said:
I have a beetle sport one fitted from vagparts,it looks great.

Yeah, just had a look and that looks nice. Did it fit straight on, or was there some modification required..?