facelift headlight upgrade wiring help

What rich did was use the old round connectors from the old units, grafted it onto the new square block on new lights, thus preserving the old loom.

The only way to do it properly is to use a multimeter and see which wires go live at which button press.

If you just cut the loom like I did and crimp in the new plug, you'll find it isnt as good and sidelights especially glow dimly.

Dave_Bayern said:
What rich did was use the old round connectors from the old units, grafted it onto the new square block on new lights, thus preserving the old loom.

this is the bit I need to find out...pics will prove helpful..

Anyway thanks again Dave...:)

Its easy once you know which wires activate what.

If you bought the kit as per Rich's post, you will have some yellow wires from the dealer.

Remove the old connector from the old light units, insert yellow wires into holes, then, insert yellow wires into new square block, making sure wires match pin to pin for correct switching.

The only hard thing is which wires do what, and I found out the colours on my loom didnt match those on Rich's car, so pictures were useless then :-(

ok thanks :)

off to the dealer soon to get the wires and the wiring done....

will keep this updated :)

Yeah its really easy once you get down to it, just be careful when you're crimping etc as ive managed to wire my lights so that the left sidelight comes on with my indicator lol - dead easy will just be two exposed bits of core touching, only i cant be bothered fixing it now that the lights are in and working.

And also remember crimping is preferable to soldering, as the point of stress is less with a crimped terminal.

seems pretty straightforward tbh, just need to get the bits.

1 wire though: the grey one (fog light i suppose) on the old lamps, is it possible to NOT connect it at all...?

if you crimp you need the crimping tool. i tried it with pliers, and ended up soldering them. i found the stick thread was accurate with regards to the pin numbers relating to the light function. (the colours also matched on mine).

yeah you can leave the grey wire not conected, i just wraped it up with tape. and no waring lights or anything...
i have a spare set of wires and plugs from the dealer if you want them..(got a second set in the cruddy fixing kit from german ebay- not worth it alt all!) say £10 delivered. i can post em today if you have paypal.

I used 2 different sizes of male bullet connectors to plug the new 'D' connector into the old 'round' connector.