Turbo question K04-022

oversteer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just had my turbo replaced on my 01 S3. I managed to find a K04-022 the shop fitted it for me and retuned the old unit to me... Funny thing is it looked slightly different? The model number on it said K04-023... and when I do a search on the net I found that my car came out with the K04-022?

So these are both BW KKK turbo's.... however! With my new one fitted my car feels stronger and when I liftoff below 3000rpm i hear a flutter.

Anything to be worried about?

The 23's have a silencer I think?

Do you have a larger output on the shell portion of the tubo, looks like a big can?

No difference though, between silenced and unsilenced (except the obvious) but the flutter would worry me...

Big can... are you refering to the wastegate?
The 022 looks bigger in comparison... but like I said the flutter is only when I drive slow...

I spoke to my local tuner (nxgen) and they said they normalyhave the same affect when they remove a stock turbo and fit a bigger aftermarket on to a wrx...

The wastgate is internal on the K04, the wastgate actuator is not, but thats not big, or can shaped.

This is on the output of the turbo, the hot side if you will, and whereas the old K04 will have been a straight pipe coming out, now it will have an extra thick piece just before it joins to the intercooler piping.

When you say flutter, is it flutter, or like wastgate chatter, which can point to your DV/N75 being dodgy.

Cant recall seeing any extra pipe on the hot side...

...the fl;utter sounds like the track cars or rally cars even.

ive been told it could be the air banging against the empeller?

This is a K03s with silencer but you get the idea:
6c8c_1.JPG

K04 without silencer:
42c9_12.JPG

bit off topic by how much does it silence it with that unit

I can only do a comparison with the K03 based turbocharger, silenced and unsilenced, but quite a lot, you dont hear the spool up sound, in fact on my car, you only hear air rushing in and around the Forge TIP, no spool sound as I was used to before.

so the spooling sound is heard on pressure side only

Ok my turbo 022 (on my car now) looks exactly like the one you have in the 2nd pic... I have no silencer... actualy ive never seen anythiing like that...

i do hear the spool up and dump...
What are the differences - power wise....?

Silenced and unsilenced have NO difference in power or flow.

Your old turbo was knackered then obviously? which is why you got it replaced?

The 22 and 23 were just different year turbos but no actual power difference.

The flutter noise is weird, its definately a flutter and not like a rally car chatter then?

For the record,
Audi S3 Quattro 2001 154kw
Forge DV
Samco hosekit
Acuamist 2d
Revo sps3
decat downpipe... 63mm zorst
New K04-022 turbo
New oe Clutch stock
BMC cone filter
New coilpacks OE 115R
New oe aux water pump

The old turbo broke... the shaft snapped and cracked the exhaust housing... bending the empellers on either side....

Dave_Bayern said:
I can only do a comparison with the K03 based turbocharger, silenced and unsilenced, but quite a lot, you dont hear the spool up sound, in fact on my car, you only hear air rushing in and around the Forge TIP, no spool sound as I was used to before.

another difference between your setup and mine...... ive got an unsilenced ko3S to go on......

couple that with my exhaust, and it might end up quite noisey :S

the k03s on mine is unsilenced one spool sounds nice , not mapped yet though