OEM headunit options?

PorkyWill

Reaction score
I've got the cassette headunit in my 2001 S3 with the Bose speakers but since I haven't owned a cassette for many years I'd like to change this to a cd headunit. What are my options as I don't want an aftermarket one?

Cheers,

Will

You could buy either an aftermarket or OEM CD Changer to go in the boot

If you go for aftermarket you will need a Connects2 interface so it can talk to the headunit.

Yes CD changer is your best option. If you go with a Concert2 HU (the CD version of wht you have already) then you can get problems with CANBUS and ignition on. The only other option is a Symphony, but this is double DIN so whole bunch of other console issues.
You can get a OEM changer on ebay for about £80, just check you have the bus lead already installed in the left cubbyhole in the boot. It's right at the back (towards the front of the car), past the rear seatbelt reel. Should be clipped to the bodywork.

I don't think mine has a Bus lead - where can I get one from? I'm putting my OEM HU back in and taking the Sony out becuase of the annoying buzzing and becuase it is the wrong colour to the rest of the dash.

Will an IPOD work with Chorus tape headunit? I also have a Parrot bluetooth will that still work with the OEM headunit?

I have the lead and a changer, but the changer was not attached to the car when I bought it....doesn't seem to work when I plugged it in so I don't know if it's broken or I'm a fool...usually the latter!!!

I'd prefer a cd HU as I'm so indecisive I like to bung a cd straight in and the boot is just annoying!!

What are the problems with double din as I wouldn't mind doing that (can I have a screen?!!!) as the flappy storage bit keeps pinging up anyway!!!

Cheers,

Will

To go back to this, there was a yellow S3 at Edition38 this weekend that had the climate control at the bottom of the centre console with a double din screen/HU above. This all looked perfectly factory finish and not like anything had been cut to fit...

Any ideas on this??

Cheers,
Will

Isn't that the new A3/S3 though? Is there one for the first shape? I want it to fit properly and look correct!

Cheers,

Will

RNS-E's can be cut to fit the 8L with a slight gap above the unit. The color match is a little off though. If absolute fit and finish is important, then go for a double din conversion and RNS-D retro-fit?

EDIT: beaten to it!

heres what the 8l sat nav looks like

satnav.jpg

Yeah that's the one I've seen...now, where to get one???

Will

dealer, scrappy, classifieds or ebay. There used to be a chap on here who could supply and fit them.

Do they do different versions of sat nav - I've seen out on trader/pistonheads with a rectangle screen. Ill try and find it.....

Found it.....

235856-6.jpg

Thats the RNS E unit found in the new A3/A4, they can be retro fitted to the 8L Audi, but as pointed out you are left with a small gap at the top of the unit.

Whats needed then? Is the wiring and the cage the same? Personally I think it looks a lot better than OEM. OEM looks a bit dated IMO

Cheers for all that guys!

Does look good, if a little off colour?

Does anyone know what the name of the single DIN cd headunit is?

Cheers,

Will

Kiwi shoe polish is suppose to change the colour a bit for a better match.