K03 to K03s upgrade

abdus

Top Gear
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
is it possible to use one from a VW engine?

and from which car should I be looking for?

Thanks

For FWD and not Quattro? (Apparently the quattro gearbox causes some clearance issues)

If FWD then you can use the K03s off loads of things, VW, Audi, SEAT.

The part number should contain 0052 0r 0053

Go look on www.ukmkivs.net in the Mk4 tuning section for a K03-K03s writeup....

Thanks Dave

just registered there :)

and it's for a FWD

I found one on eBay for £150, then a week later Prawn got one with all the pipes for £150.

Dead easy, they are all over the place....

what ahppens if the car is remapped, the turbo is upgraded, will it need remapping or the remap will adjust to the new upgrade?

will need remapping to get the best out of k03s

no, I meant will it need remapping AGAIN(car is already mapped before turbo upgrade) when the turbo is upgraded?

If its already remapped, the agressive settings on the current remap will make the K03s bring in more air and then cause the car to run lean, and hit limp mode, and backfire as it can't do anything with ignition timings.

So yeah, as nikquatty says, it does need another remap.

And it needs a proper custom remap too, as its a K03s and I'd imagine your car isnt a drive by wire?

Remap is approx £500. The costs soon spiral out of control....

abdus said:
no, I meant will it need remapping AGAIN(car is already mapped before turbo upgrade) when the turbo is upgraded?
yes if you want best from the upgrade, swapping with the map for k03 has made no difference so needs to be remmaped for the k03s

engine is AGU, not DBW...

BTW, can I fit the turbo myself? big job?

Same thing as I just performed then.

Yeah, you can do it yourself, theres a couple of times when another pair of hands is useful, but its perfectly possible to do the job yourself.

Took me about 3 days as I wanted to do everything 100% and got coolant in my eye many, many times.

You need the turbo, new TIP, remap, and a whole loads of gaskets and bolts. Plus new coolant and Oil.

Although thats just for a basic swap, which is pointless really, you might as well do the FMIC and Downpipe whilst you're at it.

Look at the ukmkivs thread...

nikquatty said:
you can if your good with spanners and have small hands:icon_thumright: , it is quite big job took me around 8 hours that is on a quattro. the fwd does have a lot more room though

the FWD still really requires the downpipe completely removing and the driveshaft taking off to get the required room to remove the turbo in one motion.

Thanks guys...will do some more reading...and see whether I can do it.

Will keep you updated :)

Dave, can you post the link to the K03-K03s thread please.

Thanks

Depends on the power figures you want to see.

The standard downpipe is definately restrictive and it'd be a sensible thing to replace it with a 2.5" downpipe and sports cat, or if you're going all out, a 3" downpipe and decat.

As for the FMIC, the FMIC simply cools the exhaust air from the turbo, so if you kept the standard one, the air would soon heat up, you'd be pushing 50 degree air into the intake, so the power would be down as the engine adjusted its ignition to compensate for the added heat.

By using an uprated SMIC or a FMIC temperatures would stay lower for longer thus you could sustain maximum power for a lot longer.

OK, thanks

not in the budget right now to get the sports cat and FMIC, but definitely in the plans :D

so I can still use the K03s until I uograde the downpiep and cat and PMIC...

Yes but the remap wouldnt then take advantage of it, and your current remap will make short work of your engine if you fit the K03s and drive it.

So its best to do the K03s and downpipe, then get it mapped, the FMIC you can add later no worries.

OK...

so the option is here then...I'll start collecting all the parts and upgrade (maybe all at once) and get a custom remap....

Thanks again...

Hi, this is very good info for me.

My K03 died, and now its the time to get a new turbo :motz:

I'll get a K03s instead of the stock K03, the remap will come latter as well
as the fmic and the down pipe.

Very good info that we can find on this forum.

Thank you all.

and the others replying the questions and providing the very useful info....:hi::salute:

can somebody post a tutorial on how to do it please.

thanks

regards

luis.filipe said:
Hi, this is very good info for me.

My K03 died, and now its the time to get a new turbo :motz:

I'll get a K03s instead of the stock K03, the remap will come latter as well
as the fmic and the down pipe.

Very good info that we can find on this forum.

Thank you all.

be very careful running the ko3S on a ko3 map, as for a given boost, the ko3S will be flowing a lot more air, and theres an obvious danger the car will run lean if you push it....

somebody please posta tutorial and what is need to change the turbocharger...I mean gasket etc...

want to get it done before the remap :D

I see what your sayin, and it is a difficult job, but if everybody followed the "I ain't done one (turbo, cambelt, ARB) before, I don't want to screw it up so I'll get somone to do it" logic, nobody would DIY anything!

Don't think there's a tutorial as such anywhere. Get a Haynes manual, and use your common sense. If you've got a good tool kit and more than one pair of hands, it's in you. You just gotta have the balls to take the jump!!

Best of luck!

ChriS3 said:
If you need a tutorial should you really be trying it?

LOL I understand your point. I was just asking it for some more easiness....

I've got a haynes and proper tools, just need to do it now...I'll take some pictures while doing it if possible. and post here. might help other members who want to have a go at it. ;)

:)

Thanks LaSarthe&Back :)