Warranty and Rust

recomdos

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi all. Just after a spot of advice/opinions.

A couple of months back I spotted a blemish of the dreaded rust syndrome at the bottom of my driver side door. I thought I'd chance going to Audi and see what they say, armed with the knowledge of others and their experiences. Spoke to a nice chap, who didn't seem to be able to shed much light - except that he had whitnessed the same on an S3 - which got sorted.

He sent the pics off to the Body shop and they called me back. To my delight they said it will be booked in. Great. I was actually expecting Mr Audi Warranty to come and inspect the car, but no need.

My car was due to go in today, though the body shop called on Friday to say that they couldn't supply a courtesy car - and I had to call them back on Saturday (message on phone). I called all morning on Saturday, though typically nobody picked up as no doubt they finish early and wanted to get away (which I can understand, but they could at least answer the freakin phone).

I call first thing this morning to be greated by the voice of a nice lady. I explain the dilemma and she states: "it's my first day today, and nobody else is in yet" (this is around 9.15 - I was NOT impressed). So I said I'd call back.

I called back at lunch time, and spoke to someone whom could help. Dealt with her before and she's very thorough. Apparently someone had booked me in for tomorrow (Tuesday) - really?...this is news to me...and also totaly out of the question. I stressed this was not good enough and that I had took holidays especially to sort out this problem in the first place. Sheesh! She then tells me that the warranty claim can actually expire and that I need to reschedule quickly to get it back in (a bit complex with my diary at the minute :( )

In the meantime I decided to wash the car today as I got a few new toys to clean the car with - brill! On completion of washing and drying, I noticed to my horror that the front arches are also beginning to go! :crying:

So now what do I do?

1.Do I approach Audi (the guy I first spoke to) and tell him about the problem having developed.
2. Do I inform the body shop of the extra work (although I have a feeling they will say it has to come from Audi)
3. Do I perhaps call Audi UK? Initially I did this before even popping to the local Audi garage and they were pretty useless staing it's up to the independent dealer. I guess it would be good to at least get them to make a record of the situation so far. Almost proof of acceptance.

Basically I have been approved for the doors, but the arches are simultaneously also going - more than a coincidence if you ask me. I don't want to run the risk of having to go through it all again (and being rejected) but I also doubt that it will be approved if I spoke to Audi after having the initial doors done. That's just more hassle for everyone!

If anyone else has experience of the arches going on theirs and claiming with Audi I'd be interested to hear. I think I will forewarn the bodyshop that I think more work is needed and that it needs authorising.

If only it was there (or I noticed it) a couple months back. Grrrr!

Here's some pics:

Drivers Side

Passenger Side

closer

and one more

Sorry for the long post everyone. Any advice, or opinions on how to tackle this one would be great. In the worst case the warranty could expire and I'll be left with rusty doors and wings! :(

Cheers,
Rob :)

My arches went exactly the same as yours are. I would personaly make a new claim and get them to look at the both doors and arches. Is it collbrook and burgess your dealing with? would try and get it all done at once or your going to be messing around for ages waiting for courtesy cars etc. Just my 2ps worth.

Just to add, they gave me a right hard time over the arches. Apparently its not very common and they had to get the main dude up from down south to give the go ahead.

petewon said:
My arches went exactly the same as yours are. I would personaly make a new claim and get them to look at the both doors and arches. Is it collbrook and burgess your dealing with? would try and get it all done at once or your going to be messing around for ages waiting for courtesy cars etc. Just my 2ps worth.

It is mate. Did you get yours done under the warranty too? If so that would be pretty handy to know - as I could quote a previous customer on their premises if it came to it...and if you'd be willing for me to do so of course.

Did you get both the doors and arches done? How did you find C&Burgs anyway?

Thanks,

Yeah got them done under warranty mate. They did have to get an inspector to come out and have a look as the guy from C&B reckoned the arches were resprayed, the inspector checked that paint and confirmed it was the original paint job and that they would cover the work.

The service overall was ok, I was given a nice brand new A3 sportback to use while mine was in getting painted although it did take a while for the courtesy car to become available.

I must say though Im not that impressed with the job they done. Initally I thought everything was ok but Ive recently noticed some very fine specks of black paint and the arches look like their starting to go again.

So really you shouldn't have any problems getting them to carry out the work but if you do let me know and I will assist anyway I can.

Good luck :thumbsup:

What year is your car mate?

Can't believe a so called quality car manufacturer like Audi can have so many corrosion problems, i had a 11 year old Vauxhall a few years back with no corrosion at all, i had that car nearly 5 years.

My S3 is a 52 reg, no corrosion yet, not even behind the bottom door trims, makes me want to sell it before the problems start.

Interesting, I read these threads with morbid curiousity, as my car is a 1997, and not one single spot of rust on it....

I wonder why, maybe previous owners of you peoples cars didnt use wax?

What year is your car mate?

Can't believe a so called quality car manufacturer like Audi can have so many corrosion problems, i had a 11 year old Vauxhall a few years back with no corrosion at all, i had that car nearly 5 years.

My S3 is a 52 reg, no corrosion yet, not even behind the bottom door trims, makes me want to sell it before the problems start.

It's 1998 T Sport. Must admit it's made me think about upgrading to the S3 or not as the case may be.

Interesting, I read these threads with morbid curiousity, as my car is a 1997, and not one single spot of rust on it....

I wonder why, maybe previous owners of you peoples cars didnt use wax?

That's great Dave :) Hope it doesn't develop. Make sure you keep a close eye out! The rust is due to a design fault - well the major cases are, such as the lower door trims. I guess other areas may have helped been prevented by previous owners waxing them up etc.

Cheers,

A friend of mine had a 51 reg Golf GTI turbo, he was washing the car one day and as he used the hose pipe to rinse it off 2 chunks of paint fell off the rear quarter, just a normal hose pipe not a pressure washer, car was approx 4 years old at the time, just left 2 patches of bare metal

From my experience Rob, I only enquired about a small patch on the passengerside rear quarter where it joins the roof, but to my delight, once the car was in the bodyshop, they checked both sides, resprayed the whole roof and complete rear quarter panel.

silly question but my car is a 1997 A3 and today i noticed that my arches were begining to go am i still covered under the warrenty or am i just wishing for to much...

jojo said:
From my experience Rob, I only enquired about a small patch on the passengerside rear quarter where it joins the roof, but to my delight, once the car was in the bodyshop, they checked both sides, resprayed the whole roof and complete rear quarter panel.

Hi Jojo - now that's a result! It's funny how some dealers are different to others. I mean, I had no problems with my initial investigation - almost too easy as I didn't even think the chap took decent pics to represent the corrosion (in fact I was a bit narked off as I thought 'give me the camera - I'll get in their good!' lol). Looks like I have to visit Audi again, then they forward the images off just as the first investigation. I'm going to take along my pics on with me, as they demonstrate the problems well. Hopefully the chap will use them...we'll see. I'm going to specifically ask for him, as having dealt with a few 'claims' investigators in the past they can be right obnoxious so and so's.

cheers,

dan.obi said:
silly question but my car is a 1997 A3 and today i noticed that my arches were begining to go am i still covered under the warrenty or am i just wishing for to much...

you should be. I think it was 1997 when that policy of 12years came into light. Again there's been a mixed number of results. Some yes, some no. Your only method is to go and enquire. Look for any 'patterns' of the rust coming through. Be polite and state you're aware of the problem and many others are in the same boat.

good luck.

recomdos said:
Hi Jojo - now that's a result! It's funny how some dealers are different to others. I mean, I had no problems with my initial investigation - almost too easy as I didn't even think the chap took decent pics to represent the corrosion (in fact I was a bit narked off as I thought 'give me the camera - I'll get in their good!' lol). Looks like I have to visit Audi again, then they forward the images off just as the first investigation. I'm going to take along my pics on with me, as they demonstrate the problems well. Hopefully the chap will use them...we'll see. I'm going to specifically ask for him, as having dealt with a few 'claims' investigators in the past they can be right obnoxious so and so's.

cheers,

They didn't take any pics of mine Rob, he just had a look, measured the paint thickness with a paint probe and told me too wait for the greenlight for the work to be done from Audi UK.

What about trying another stealer mate? Maybe you'll get a better result that way? Just a thought?

Spuddie :)

My car is clean except for on the top of the boot lid but just below the windscreen. I notice a couple of bumpy pieces of metal comming up throughn looking rusty - this should be covered yes? Am i better off waiting a little while to see if it forms anywhere else though to get it all done at once?