Which turbo for an S3??

Greggers

Reaction score
Evening all...turns out that my turbo is completely shagged - due to oil starvation - and the work that was going to be carried out on it can't happen anymore.

I was looking at the K04 being taken to a stage 1 or 2 hybrid (looking for a reliable 270-280bhp), and wondered if any of you have an opinion on what I should go for instead??

Am considering just buying a second hand turbo & having it rebuilt to the same spec I was looking at previously, but with a second hand turbo, is it any K04 I can go for, or are some not appropriate for my '99 S3?
i.e. I've seen a TT K04 for sale, and I'm assuming this would bolt straight on?
But howabouts these ones I'm seeing that are advertised for VWs etc - would these bolt on / are they the same internally?

And otherwise, any other suggestions would be most welcome - looking to spend up to a grand, all in.

Thanks a lot,
greggers :)

it has to be one for the s3 or tt i think , as they are mounted at the back of the engine , dont think vw ones will fit , get a s3 one , and get it sent of to have it hybrid ed , should see over 300 bhp with the right manifold , ie equal length

Greggers said:
Evening all...turns out that my turbo is completely shagged - due to oil starvation - and the work that was going to be carried out on it can't happen anymore.

I was looking at the K04 being taken to a stage 1 or 2 hybrid (looking for a reliable 270-280bhp), and wondered if any of you have an opinion on what I should go for instead??

Am considering just buying a second hand turbo & having it rebuilt to the same spec I was looking at previously, but with a second hand turbo, is it any K04 I can go for, or are some not appropriate for my '99 S3?
i.e. I've seen a TT K04 for sale, and I'm assuming this would bolt straight on?
But howabouts these ones I'm seeing that are advertised for VWs etc - would these bolt on / are they the same internally?

And otherwise, any other suggestions would be most welcome - looking to spend up to a grand, all in.

Thanks a lot,
greggers :)

Its a K04-023 you need if you were going down the second-hand route. The one from the TT should be fine.

If you wanted to go for a hybrid, then it seems like an equal length manifold, like the one JBS do, is the thing to get. Otherwise you might not noticed too much difference over the standard mapped k04. You'd probably need to look at the intercoolers and exhaust too. If you're only spending a grand you might not get much gain for your money.