is 72k is high mileage ????

jpda4

Reaction score
went looking for a change of car today in between rain showers.......
only managed to get to one dealer so far and his trade in price for my september 51 plate 1.6 se 5dr was..........£4200 aparently it would be more but the mileage is the problem....... always thought 12k per annum was average mileage
hadnt given anythought to day about the price i would expect for mine but 4200

this was at a skoda thinking about changing for an octavia vrs

oh just had a thought as im typing....... that low mileage 55 or 06 with 15k on, surely he must have meant high mileage ...... could try that to get more off the price

any thoughts on an acceptable trade in
or do i walk and see what audi say for a new 56 A3

51 plate is approx 6 yrs old

people will normally work out average between 10-12k

equals 60-72 for average miles

your 72k i would say is up to 12k over average at the most which i would say £500 off the trade in price (average miles) at the most

long mot and history will be useful

I'd say that was a little low, considering the dealer will probably try and sell that car around 6kish

I'd be pushing for at least 5, or a big discount off the VRS

If it were an independant then 4.5k is probably a realistic trade in, assuming that the car you were buying would be cheaper too.

I'm also assuming that the VRS is quite a bit more expensive than your £4,200, if the car you're buying is priced at for example 6k you have n ochance of getting a decent trade in, imo.

FYI, MK1 Skoda 05 plate VRS with 18K on the clock cost me £9995. Traded in a MK1 Seat Leon Cupra 52 plate with 45k on the clock for £7000

thanks guys,

current car has just been serviced and cambelt change. MOT due mid september tax till feb

the car id be lookign at getting is around £15k

salesman told me they would sell it on straight away as they have someone who buys this type of car off them

may hold off a few weeks longer

jpda3 said:
thanks guys,

the car id be lookign at getting is around £15k

salesman told me they would sell it on straight away as they have someone who buys this type of car off them

True but this is just a sales tactic to try and get you to buy it.
they will try anything to get a sale.

when you go to showrooms to look at car i bet you everytime you ask if anyone is looking at it they will say yes someone is coming back etc.

But as per one of the replys above try towards the end of the month where they will be desperate to get thier figures.

every car there is a range of sale where the sales person will try to get the highest price for thier commision. for example on a car for 10000 they may need to get 8000 to cover cost and anyting over 8500 sale they get a percentage of. so never accept the first offer and only mention the part ex later in the deal.
also try to get them to throw extras in like warranty deals / full tank / mats.
also take the tax of your old car and claim back off dvla. dealers arent bothered about this.

Let me know if your getting it on finance and i can also advise you there. But if not on finance try to get at least 3% off as this is what delears get charged from the fianance company.

best of luck