AMD Top company & staff.....

Kipper

Reaction score
Just a quick note to mention what top people AMD have proved to be, Had my car remapped and it was o.k. but not how you would say "what i was expecting" power delivery was down and i was dissapointed....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
had a chat and talked about what i required from the conversion then booked it in to be done again, the deal was that if i was still unhappy then all would be returned to standard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

After another session the final results are fantastic,
before remap:240 bhp!!!!
230lbft torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifas stated BEFORE REMAP!

after /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif290.1 bhp
304.1 lbft torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Truly a custom remap, with fantastic low down pull right thew the rev range makeing the car a real pleasure to drive, so hats off to the boys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif very proffesional & curtious and will come highly recommended by another S3 fan.

AMD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love_4.gif Thank you!!!!

For all considering a remap, have a good chat 1st and discus your requirements.

I did think they where impressive at the time, but can only quote the figures i have been given and have the plots to prove, dont know how to upload but if someone wants to help i will forward them on a mail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

email them to me and ill see what i can do... you have PM

I can't say I saw this particular car but I CAN say with absolute confidence that AmD DO NOT conduct some kind of swd/fwd fix to 'get the numbers'.

AmD have changed some of the maps (they are constantly being developed, learning from each custom map we run) but the additional cooling we now run has led to an increase in numbers on some turbo charged cars.

Bottom line is that cars need airflow and this is especially important for tubos as air intake temps are crucial for power. Putting a little fan at the front of the car is not going to replicate real world airflow and your air intake temp is going to skyrocket and your bhp number measured will be lower. Most RR's 'adjust' for this so the numbers at least look normal.

AmD doesn't have a little hand blower.....we use an industrial grain dryer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif This is essentiually a fan that sits underneath the mahoosive grain silos and blows air through to dry the grain (you dont want to know how much it cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) Even with this fan (which generates approx 120mph wind) it only replacates about 40% of real world airflow. What has changed at AmD is the new ducting which means airflow can be concentrated on different areas of the car for more effective cooling. My own VX has jumped from 265bhp to 280bhp on a before and after test with no change to the remap, for this we directed the blowers more effectivly towards the air intakes.

Bearing in mnd the RR is AmD's life blood further plans are afoot for self calibration equipment to ensure accuracey along with a doubling up of capacity on the rear rollers to otain a true 1000bhp capacity.

There are also issues of weather conditions which affects results......but you all know those /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So, have you recorded actual intake temperatures with your grain silo cooling system and proven that there is a significant drop in cooling?

I have seen my own car run on a different dyno with an actual intake temp starting temp of 30degrees against 60degrees, and it produced 3bhp more on the cooler run. Logging the intake temps in the "real world" I see on average an intake temp of between 40 and 60 degrees on a cold day and thats with "40%" more cooling than on the rolling road. What I am saying is that the intercoolers on the standard car are not effcient enough to benefit from all that extra cool air and to produce up to 30bhp more (I refer to the S3 with 290bhp) as a sole result of airflow alone. I suspect that if you packed the intercoolers with ice, and lowered the temps further you still wouldn't get 30bhp. A FMIC on an S3 is perhaps worth a handful of BHP, dropping I/C temps down to the 20 degree range (and there is dyno proof of the same), but to imagine that cooling alone is worth all that power is sheer folly. Anyhow, assuming the cooling results were acurate, surely these figures are misleading anhow, as manipulation of the rolling road environment is the sole factor to account for the high figures (i.e. one would expect a competitors product to perform at a similar level given the same RR?). Torque on the S3 is very proportional to boost, so by definition, to produce 300+lb/ft with a remp alone, you'll have to increase the boost past the maximum level of the standard K04 turbo.

I have seen a graph that was "manipulated" by adjustment of intake temps (not on the AmD rollers I might add) and the graph in question was running an intake temp of the high 50degrees. Compared to a similar non manipulated graph, this car produced about 10bhp more. The figures don't add up really, especially when if you consider what has been said about RR intake temps and standard figures on standard cars. Surely a standard car (obeying your points above, Thorney) should produce significantly less than the manufacturers bench figures given the poor cooling on most rollers, rather than the usual of at least manufacturers figures or more commonly a bit more.

Is the cooling system you refer to was the one in place at the audi-sport RR day?

I would be very interested to put a "290bhp" S3 against a 250/265bhp on the road and see the real world difference.

David.

the intake/ and exhaust fan arrangement has changed since the audi sport day.

it used to be hooked on to the left...

I have been up there on 2 other RR days since and on a couple of other occasions.

DSCN5858.JPG

All,

The car boosts well, and now pulls right threw the rev range and is a joy to drive.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :

David r has the torque curve,and will post soon (i hope)

I just thought i would share the info i have as i have never had a car on the rollers?

so why all the BITCHING!!

If I had known it would cause this much ****, I wouldnt have bothered!!!!!
me.

Kipper,

Dont worry mate, its not bitching, we are all enthusiasts and like to know the ins and outs of these things!

I have a question to add to this thread too. I had my car on the rollers at AMD yesterday, and my car produced 260.6 bhp and 301.6 lb/ft, running a Revo remap. Now these figures are pretty good, but I would really like to know how AMD can get an extra 30 bhp from just a remap.

I am not questioning AMDs ethics or anything like that in any way whatsoever (who are as the thread title says a great company and the guys are really helpful there), but I know my car is no slower than other chipped cars (AMD, MTM, APR etc), give or take a few bhp here and there, but I would expect a car with 30 bhp more to pull car lengths on me in a straight line.

30 bhp is a hell of a difference and my 260 bhp figure from yesterday is consistent with AMD, MTM and APR results from the same day.

If the mapping is changed to get 290 bhp - that is impressive and obviously I would like to know more about how that is achieved.

Dunc

The graphs look pretty good to me, so has anyone else got any comments? I am still intrigued how so much extra bhp can be gained just be rechipping?

Torque wise, compared to my Revo graphs from the AMD RR, they are similar in terms of power (I got 301 lb/ft) but my peak power is 301.6 @ 4039

Dunc

Hi,new to the forum.I noticed you guys talking about fwd drive versus 4wd power figures.All figures produced by a rolling road are taken from torque from this the power is calculated by using revs(divide 5252 or something)thats why torque and power curves always cross at the same point.All the figures quoted by amd and others is fly wheel horsepower which by it's nature is guesswork.The figures that are actually true are the four wheel horse power(if the dyno is accurate).The transmission losses are then calculated by the run down after the power run has finished.This percentage usually 15-18% for 2wd cars and 25% for 4wd cars is added (called correction) to give you "estimated" fly wheel hp.For example i used to own a 283fly hp 2wd car which made 240whp.A evo that went on after me made 325fly bhp but also had 240whp.If you want a true indication of your cars power ask for the 4whp graph because this is what is transmitted to the road.I would also like to say that you can also give any car a falsly high reading on the rolling road if you so desired.I think that the torque curve is the most important feature of any dyno graph or "the area under the torque curve" which gives a better judgement of the cars tuning,regards Ryan