Speaker advice

walder

stuck behind a tractor...
Reaction score
ok i need someone to recommend maybe from past experience but i need to upgrade my front door cards basically , its a full bose system (one with teh sub in boot??)

so if anyone could recommend a specfic set it woudl be great and in return i will do a how to with pics

cheers guys

:rockwoot: steve

Both Bose and non-Bose systems have subs in the boot.
If you after better sound then you'd be far better off upgrading the sub. The front speakers are 4" components with a 1" tweeter mounted on the flimsy door card so the quality of any speaker fitted is seriously compromised.
You can squeeze 5.25" units in there using an adapter as long as they're fairly slim (50-55mm depth).
Ideally you want 2 ohm impedance units as well as the Bose speakers are 2 ohm. While still running off the Bose amp people have had mixed results, so don't expect any huge transformation.
If you need to replace the Bose fronts because they've blown then I'd suggest getting some Bose replacements off ebay.
Also cutting the earth going to the Bose pin on the back of the HU can improve the very flat EQ of the Bose mode, by putting the HU into normal EQ mode so the treble and Bass controls have more of an effect and a far less woolly sound.

thanks cause my HU jvc one , 50x4 is too much for the speakers it just sounds like their coming away at the cone and i just want to change them now so i can listen to my music without distorting,

how do u recommend upgrading the sub, does that mean using the existing audi amp or fresh install all together...?

cheers again

The Bose system runs it's own amp so your HU cannot be too powerful for the speakers (unless you've bypassed the Bose amp), and changing just the speakers will have little effect.
Upgrading the sub means new amp, new enclosure and new sub. Replacing the tupperware sub with a proper one means you don't run the cabin speakers so hard which improves how they sound as well as giving you proper clean punchy bass (not the woolly rumble the Bose unit delivers).

A3/S3 with Concert/Symphony Bose system
18mm MDF custom sub enclosure (satin black with gold speaker terminals, brackets, wiring & wadding) - £95
JL Audio 6.5" sub (JL-6W0-4) fitted & tested- £85
Alpine V12 MRV-T505 2ch amp 300wrms amp - £80
40 amp fused power cable & earth - £20
Audi loom to RCA wiring adapter - £20
P&P via Parcelforce48 - £15
TOTAL £315
Optional Installation - £60 (Southampton)
The subs are brand new from CarAudioDirect, the amps are secondhand, sourced off ebay and fully tested.
SubCollageMidcopy.jpg

SubInstallS3Bosemid.jpg