Diverter Flutter

HTC

Reaction score
Website
www.b3ta.com
I'm sure this has been dicussed before, but I'm having no luck with the search.

The diverter valve on my A3 makes a fluttering sound as it diverts air back into the inlet.

Is this correct, or is the diaphragm f**ked in the valve?

Car is 1998 1.8T (AGU engine code).

Ta.

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
I'm sure this has been dicussed before, but I'm having no luck with the search.

The diverter valve on my A3 makes a fluttering sound as it diverts air back into the inlet.

Is this correct, or is the diaphragm f**ked in the valve?

Car is 1998 1.8T (AGU engine code).

Ta.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diaphragm is f**cked!

Rich

Ahh poop. I'll swap it out for a new one then.

Just one other thing, will it cause any damage running in this state? I won't be able to sort it out till the weekend and I need the car all week.

Thanks.

I had to run mine for three weeks before I could change it and, apart from a slight loss of power and fuel economy, it didn't do it any harm.

Mines doin the same , has been for a while. outta interest Harry ,you goin for the standard bosch valve or a fancy carlos fandango gadgy?

I'm not sure yet. I originally thought about an upgraded valve, but the car isn't chipped. So now I'm thinking, I can get an audi TT DV and N75 valve for the price of an aftermarket DV and fit them both while I'm under the bonnet.

I'm fairly new to the Audi scene, so I'm going to do a bit of reading on the forum to see what best suits my application.

It's pretty quiet, and certainly doesn't sound abnormal. Just a subtle flutter if I give it some gas and let off, changing gear casually - e.g. into 2nd, gas to 3500, clutch down, change into 3rd in no particular hurry. I'd hear the flutter when dropping the clutch to begin the change.
I don't remember if I hear it when trying to change more quickly, but might have a listen out on the way home.
If they're 20 quid and a doddle to replace then I'll mention it next Thursday when I'm getting my battery and anti-roll bar bushes done - see if the guy has any comments there.
I know people often upgrade (e.g. AMD Viper, etc) but do most people have cause to replace this anyway?

[ QUOTE ]
bk1 said:
but do most people have cause to replace this anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

More so on S3's and Chipped A3's from what I know, the higher boost pressures tending to take there toll on the DV. I remember when I was at RSD they had stack loads of Bosch DV's stacked up, which I think most had come off standard cars.

Would a faulty DV only be noticeable at higher boost, or could it have an effect at lower revs as well (and at idle?)

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
More so on S3's and Chipped A3's from what I know, the higher boost pressures tending to take there toll on the DV. I remember when I was at RSD they had stack loads of Bosch DV's stacked up, which I think most had come off standard cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, this is interesting as I've been chatting to a workmate today who owns an S3. He says his flutters as well.
We both like the sound of it and thought it was normal.

I'll let him know that his is duff as well!

His car has only done 25,000 miles, but he drives like the stig from Top Gear, so I guess he's killed it. I'll recommend a piston type for him!

Well this is the thing - does a bit of flutter actually mean a problem? Having read some posts on another site, guys in the US seemed to be hinting that a slight flutter was normal, but that noises of a bad DV included honking ("like a kazoo") and sqeaking/quacking etc.

(I'm still interested to know if anyone thinks a DV would affect the lower revs by the way??)

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, this is interesting as I've been chatting to a workmate today who owns an S3. He says his flutters as well.
We both like the sound of it and thought it was normal.

I'll let him know that his is duff as well!

His car has only done 25,000 miles, but he drives like the stig from Top Gear, so I guess he's killed it. I'll recommend a piston type for him!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well let him know he can get a forge valve for £64+vat from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Goes for anyone else who is interested!

Rich

Hmmm, thats a good price. I may take you up on that one.

BTW, I love all the onomatapias (spelling??) to describe the sounds these things make.

QUACK........MOOOO.......WOOOF. Sounds like a farm yard!! :)

Sorry to bug you guys with questions that have probably been answered before, but what is the difference between the standard forge DV and the cheaper (fast road) DV?

Thanks again for all your help.

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
Sorry to bug you guys with questions that have probably been answered before, but what is the difference between the standard forge DV and the cheaper (fast road) DV?

Thanks again for all your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what the difference is but the one to go for is the FMDV007P.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
bk1 said:
Well this is the thing - does a bit of flutter actually mean a problem? Having read some posts on another site, guys in the US seemed to be hinting that a slight flutter was normal, but that noises of a bad DV included honking ("like a kazoo") and sqeaking/quacking etc.

(I'm still interested to know if anyone thinks a DV would affect the lower revs by the way??)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to say without being there to hear it, but I don't think my standard DV was ever audiable on my standard A3T and maybe someone with an S3 can confirm that theirs is quiet. The standard induction system does a good job of covering up the DV noise so it shouldn't be audiable.

Have added it as something to be done next Thursday, so will be able to report back on whether it had any effect.
I checked the standard part on vagparts and it works out as about 18 pounds including VAT. (06A-145-710N part).

When I said to the guy just now "I get a chakka-chak noise on gear change - I think it's the diverter valve, let's replace it at the same time as the other stuff", he said "mmm, yeah, does sound like it - they should have them in stock so that's no problem to do".
I'd do it myself with the part from vagparts but this guy is good, and he might spot something else that needs attention while he's putting the new DV in place (bad hoses, loose clips, or whatever) that I wouldn't notice.

Thanks for all the help.
<"Gambba wins "super-helper" award for attentiveness to audi woes...">

[ QUOTE ]
bk1 said:
Have added it as something to be done next Thursday, so will be able to report back on whether it had any effect.
I checked the standard part on vagparts and it works out as about 18 pounds including VAT. (06A-145-710N part).

[/ QUOTE ]

Would suggest picking up a 710P version of the Bosch DV as used on the RS6 IIRC, which are improved over the 710N and earlier versions, therefore more realiable in theory.

Just refering back to the aftermarket DV part of this post, this is my review of the Hyperboost DV (Basically the same as the Forge piston DV).

As for the super helper bit, well this is basicaly my job...except I think my boss would prefer if I kept strictly to forklifts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif