CLUES?

S3 SAF

Reaction score
every time i go over road humps i can hear noises from the front of the car as if something is loose and it gets worse after driving it for a while! not to sure any one have any :think: clues? i was thinking it mite be the ARB and shocks but not to sure.

From your description it sounds like it might be the ARB drop link? I had the same on mine - easy DIY job to fit (need to jack whole front of the car up so the ARB isn't twisted) and about £20 from the dealers IIRC

I was going to suggest worn ARB bushes! £9.00 for a pair from Audi, normally have to order them in! Oh you have the S3 so you will need the 19mm ones not the 17mm!

Thanks guys i aint got any tools of mine but ill try and get it sorted by this week. :icon_thumright:

I would go with jcs356 and say its the drop links, the symptoms you describe are exactly how I would describe them and I've changed mine twice!

ah.... sounds like the noise im getting too.....

I have the the same, although it only started on my car just after I got it back after having new discs, pads and tyres all round, and the tracking done. Not sure if anything here could cause these symptoms?

if you can feel the knocking through the steering wheel and it sounds kinda hollow check the bushes on the lower suspension arms.... just done mind and its solved the knocking noise and made a world of a difference too how the car drives. but ARB bushes should be the first thing to check

It sounds like it's coming from the NSF wheel. It normally occurs on bumpy roads and when i pull into my drive which is slightly uphill, then drops.

Or again on an uphill section, almost like the knocking is more prevalent when the front suspension is relatively unloaded.

How can i visually check under the car for drop link or ARB bushes? Will i be able to see the bushes are worn? Do i have to jack the car and wobble wheels??!?

i have this same kind of nocking/rattleing on the same wheel...be good to see what is the cause.

The near side is always more prone to damage/wear due to sunken grids, kerbs etc.

If it's coming from the near side only I would again suggest it's the drop link. Fortunately this is the easiest and possibly the cheapest part to replace.

You could easily replace this yourself with little or no mechanical knowledge.

s3 saf did u get it sorted in the end? seems i have the same problem as u.

I'm getting a clonk or knocking noise in mine when I go over a bumpy road - could this be the same thing, and how can I check?

im off to audi to get a new droplink and new arb bushes, hopefully they have them in stock so i can fit them in a bit.

Meza said:
I'm getting a clonk or knocking noise in mine when I go over a bumpy road - could this be the same thing, and how can I check?

I am not sure if this is the same as I had but I had a snapped spring on the front NS corner. It made a metallic clanking sound when I went over a bump.