Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: CLUES?

2nd Gear

Status

Thumbs up CLUES?

every time i go over road humps i can hear noises from the front of the car as if something is loose and it gets worse after driving it for a while! not to sure any one have any clues? i was thinking it mite be the ARB and shocks but not to sure.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Brum brum

Status
    From your description it sounds like it might be the ARB drop link? I had the same on mine - easy DIY job to fit (need to jack whole front of the car up so the ARB isn't twisted) and about £20 from the dealers IIRC
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Taking it easy..

Status
    I was going to suggest worn ARB bushes! £9.00 for a pair from Audi, normally have to order them in! Oh you have the S3 so you will need the 19mm ones not the 17mm!
    J

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks guys i aint got any tools of mine but ill try and get it sorted by this week.

thats me

Status
    OR cracked sleve on arb
    red to red black to black blue to bits

3rd Gear

Status
    I would go with jcs356 and say its the drop links, the symptoms you describe are exactly how I would describe them and I've changed mine twice!
    Last edited by Stewart; 8th August 2007 at 17:14.
    Rarrrr! I'm not Lesdyxic!

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

2nd Gear

Status
    ah.... sounds like the noise im getting too.....

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have the the same, although it only started on my car just after I got it back after having new discs, pads and tyres all round, and the tracking done. Not sure if anything here could cause these symptoms?
    1998 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo with black leather and Bose

A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!

Status
    if you can feel the knocking through the steering wheel and it sounds kinda hollow check the bushes on the lower suspension arms.... just done mind and its solved the knocking noise and made a world of a difference too how the car drives. but ARB bushes should be the first thing to check

Daz - Audi A3 - 18" rs4 alloys - Weitec ultra gt 30mm kit - pipercross panel filter - tints all round - facelight rear lights - clear side repeaters - german style plates - flip out dvd touchscreen hu

1st Gear

Status

I too have knocking

It sounds like it's coming from the NSF wheel. It normally occurs on bumpy roads and when i pull into my drive which is slightly uphill, then drops.

Or again on an uphill section, almost like the knocking is more prevalent when the front suspension is relatively unloaded.

How can i visually check under the car for drop link or ARB bushes? Will i be able to see the bushes are worn? Do i have to jack the car and wobble wheels??!?

Diesel Power!

Status
    i have this same kind of nocking/rattleing on the same wheel...be good to see what is the cause.
    Audi A3 52 | 1.9TDI Quattro | Chipped 175 BHP | Hids |

3rd Gear

Status
    The near side is always more prone to damage/wear due to sunken grids, kerbs etc.

If it's coming from the near side only I would again suggest it's the drop link. Fortunately this is the easiest and possibly the cheapest part to replace.

You could easily replace this yourself with little or no mechanical knowledge.
    Rarrrr! I'm not Lesdyxic!

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

3rd Gear

Status
    s3 saf did u get it sorted in the end? seems i have the same problem as u.
    2001 Audi S3 - Facelift - Revo remap - Forge 007p DV - BMC Panel Filter- Type R Ariel - Aero wipers - n75j valve.

Neutral

Status
    I'm getting a clonk or knocking noise in mine when I go over a bumpy road - could this be the same thing, and how can I check?

3rd Gear

Status
    im off to audi to get a new droplink and new arb bushes, hopefully they have them in stock so i can fit them in a bit.
    2001 Audi S3 - Facelift - Revo remap - Forge 007p DV - BMC Panel Filter- Type R Ariel - Aero wipers - n75j valve.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Meza
    I'm getting a clonk or knocking noise in mine when I go over a bumpy road - could this be the same thing, and how can I check?
    I am not sure if this is the same as I had but I had a snapped spring on the front NS corner. It made a metallic clanking sound when I went over a bump.