walkin is no fun!!! Help with waterpump info please

MeAndMyBaby

Can I Borrow 1.4 Bhp off anyone please
Reaction score
Car started overheating nearly two weeks ago, fans were working and coolant level seemed ok. Took to the garage as the MOT needed doing anyway and booked it in under a cancellation for the wednesday after. Car went in and passed MOT straight away. :rockwoot:

However.....they could not diagnose the problem to definatly be the water pump and instead said they would need to strip it including timing belt etc in order to find out. If it wasnt the waterpump i would need to pay the labour anyway and for the new timing belt. (Not Happy)

Anyway i gave consent as i figured theres not much else that could cause the overheating and left em too it, rang back the next evening to be told they hadnt even started it yet and was told the next day....rang the next day and bla bla bla, now were on tuesday following week and i still dont have my car back. DONT EVER GO TO ALPHA AND YAPP GARAGES IN CARDIFF IF YOU LIVE HERE

What i wanted to know is why is it that this is my fifth car now.....and the fourth one which i have had to have the waterpump changed, I know the plastic propellers are prone to fault on my model but is it to do with my driving style.....or do i just have bad luck!

My previous cars were amazing models.....listed below incase it sheds anylight to my problem

Ford Fiesta 1.6 si
Rover 216 Gti
Metro 1.4 Gti
(all of which gushed water all over the floor whenever i drove more that 2 miles)

Anyway, I have yet to have my car back and dont dare call them because i dont want to here come back tomoro as i have for the last week. Wish me luck!!! ps i only had the Master cylinder changed on the clutch changed by these peeps two weeks ago, its not related is it? i know it sounds daft to ask.....

Fairly easy to tell if the water pumps kanckered. If the engine is hot or overheating and the radiator top hose is cold then water isn't circulating therefore pump and/or thermostat needs replaced.
If you're replacing the pump then ensure it's a GSF one with the metal impellor then change the cambelt & tensioner at the same time as the labour is the same so save an expensive job later on.

More news not that anyone cares :motz:

car still isnt home!!! one week later, grage called saying they couldnt get the timing belt back on, turns out the waterpump was faulty and now i'm driving round in a nissan sunny which has seen better days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

whats up with these cars, is noting ever simple?

it is simple if you take it to a proper garage, not the numpties you take yours to!

Ps some real nice rides there! lol

Sounds like you seriously need to change garages, cambelt/water pump change is 4 hours work, not 4 weeks! The fact they couldn't even identify it was the water pump says it all.

Yeah sounds like the water pump, i think if you go to german and sweedish motor company and bnuy ythe parts water pump metal 1 and cam belt too, i wanted to change my cam belt and changed both coz sods law change one and the other goes,i have a mate who works at audi and he charged me £80 to do the job

yeah, they are my "appppprrrroooooovvveeeeed warrantee dealer" so it makes it easier for me coz i dont have to pay for it now! still the warranty company is making me chip in £60 for the cam belt and fitting as a part charge so its ok, i think your right though, i wont be back there again in a hurry. I've been messed around by 3 or 4 garages now but at least they got the work done! still, will be fun to get back in my car after drivin round in this nissan sunny for a day or two, it'l be like a rocket woooooot.

ps "simch" you smell, my list of rides is awesome. lol

Those aftermarket warranty's are just great aren't they?
End up waiting 4 weeks to get a 4 hour job done by a bunch of inexperienced saturday boys - money well spent.

well.............yes and no. I had the master cylinder changed on the clutch only two weeks ago and now the water pump and cambelt too. the garage i take it to is actually an alpha romeo dealer so they should be good in all fairness but now i'm not so sure, at least the belt is done now and i've saved money on a much needed job at 60k mileage. wont be extending my warranty though in october