CV boot - front nearside - how much

S3_MCD

Reaction score
Quick question.

Its split, in with dealer for MOT....going to do it for £100, sounds fair.

Could probally get it cheaper, but would also have to factor picking car up, DIY/taking it elsewhere and cost of re-test.

Thoughts?

you serious?

a universal cv boot is approx £5 and 30 mins max fitting time.

1hr to get the car, find a weekend where i can get time out from the kids, 1hr take it back, retest and pick it up.

was meant to be £122 by book.

I know its cost more than I could do it for, just wondering in the greater scheme of things whether its worth it.

Ehhhhh - free mot retest

£40-50 absolute max at another garage to get it done

no brainer for me its a rip off

the kit is aprox 18 quid from audi and you get the boot , clips, grease and a new stretch bolt. Takes about 1 hr but they may remove the bottom ball joint so may have to realign that side. so with audi rates 100 quid sounds ok

cheers all, went with it.......... I know I could have done it, but decided by the time I F'd around and got it sorted my time would have cost me more.

Anyway, she back from service and MOT (time spent not book time, which saved me a bit of £) all clean inside and out.

If thats all that you needed for the MOT then thats pretty good.
although the cv boot is easy to fit and the free mot re test is valid up to 7 days after the test allowing you to have the work done somewhere else / yourself.

my old golf needed a new tyre and wipers for mot so i took it away to be done cheaper than VW and saved £ss. then had the free retest at VW

garratt83 said:
Sorry to soun stupid but whats a CV boot???
:think:

it's the rubber cover that goes over the c.v joint

my local audi dealer has just failed my S3 for the same thing, but my offside front boot is split. they want £211 to fix it

is it more work than the nearside or is that just a rip off?

Ehhhh what exactly are they doing????

If its the driveshaft and boot they're replacing then fair enough because that's say £80 in parts plus scandal dealer labour.

If its just a new boot it costs about £10!!!!!!! plus labour of about half an hour. Tell them to shove it take it somewhere else for the work then get your free retest

just done the one on my spare car... took longer than an hour due too a few parts needing replacing... and cleaning the bearing and hub out properly... but easy enough job