homemade heatshield for open induction kit

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hey just thought id post up my creation, whether it will help keep some of the heat air out i dont know but was bored so thought id make one. Got the idea from the neuspeed air filters that use a heat shield similar to mine pic here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300132246790&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020 any idea what the little breather is for, do i need one?

heres some pics,

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

having trouble routing a decent cold air feed to the filter at the moment ive left the original one from the old airbox, looks like theres no room at all.

any ideas

Thanks

Allan

any ideas where to feed the airfeed guys im off 2day would like to have a go.

thanks

Can I add a few thoughts...

The filter looks quite small for a mapped S3?

The heatshield will do nothing...as it's not sealed.
That filter will still pick up the same hot air that's in the engine bar...the heat shield will only prevent some radiated heat - not the main problem for an open filter on an S3.

For a cold air feed...to fit a duct big enough to actually supply enough air, you need to be looking at a 100mm duct.
I don't think it's possible to fit one with the standard SMICs in place. I managed to get a 100mm duct up from behind the bumper through the hole that the pasenger side SMIC pipework used to come up through...then along between the battery housing and the wing, and into the airbox.

fitting a duct to the set up you have isn't going to do much...as you'll only provide cold air to the hot engine bay...where the filter picks up from.

Better to try to seal the shield to the wing and bonnet, then feed that with a 100mm duct.

ok ill probably leave it then. Ya i thought it looked small when i saw it, bought it off ebay for cheap, maybe the seller mugged me off. Oh well its only temp still got the original airbox i can put on.

If my mot and tax hadnt cost me 350 quid i could have bought a decent closed ik.

never mind, thx for ur input.