Engine Issues

Scrappy

Reaction score
I've just spent a fortune on fixing my engine with a new head gasket a new cylinder head etc etc. It's a 1.8T A3 Now I have a really weird intermittent engine problem. I can't explain it very well to the garage and they just hook it up to the computer and there are no error codes, so I can't blame them and get them to cover the cost of fixing it.

Basically the car just decides when it feels like it to misfire at low revs, and there's a loud knocking coming from the engine which sounds like one of the cylinders misfiring i'm told? I've also had one person state that they thought it was one of the coil packs, but my garage say it cdould any one of the four or one of the injectors and with the computer bringing up nothing it would be very expensive to replace them all!

Problem is leave the car for a while and then use it again and it'll drive for hundreds of miles before randomly doing it again. Trying to therefore get it to the garage at these times is very difficult. It doesn't seem to be linked to being hot or cold, just does it totally by chance. Anyone have any ideas as to what it is? Or heard of anything similar before? Thanks...

I've had the RAC out and as far as we can tell, it's the fourth coil pack that is faulty. Now I need to try and find somewhere to order a replacement from, anyone got any good websites?

The stealers seem to be just as cheap for coil packs and you wont have to pay postage.

The stealer was charging £32 last time I bought one, but yeah you will save on post.