Problems with BOSE CD Changer??!!

simondavidr

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondered if any one could help me out with a problem - i have a 1998 Audi A3 1.8T Sport which has the awesome BOSE sound system although the CD changer does not seem to want to work?? The guy i bought it from said he had experienced no problems with it - if you load the magazine it then individually loads each cd but then reads 'CD Error' on the headunit.
I have tried turning the cds up the other way and even putting lens cleaner cd in but to no avail - the radio is starting to get a tad boring!!!!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Si

There is no such thing as a BOSE CD changer, BOSE refers to the speaker system. The changer is an Audi changer as fitted to any A3 whose owner ticked the option box (which is good news because you will be able to find a cheap second hand replacement if it is bust). Are the CD's original or copies some CD changers don't like CD-R's. Check the wiring is connected properly, otherwise take it to reputable car audio fitter and get them to check it out.

mine does this when I accelerate hard, I'm guessing its somthing to do with one of the connectors

You can get an original brand new boxed replacement for 250 quid from www.fontain.co.uk

Also, I am not sure whether it applies to CD changers, but when my stereo was knackered I got a reconditioned one for cheap (well, cheap by audi standards)off of audi as part of some scheme that they do.

Also, watch the volume control on the concert stereo. They are notoriously dodgy and once broken cannot be repaired. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do about it. One of the components just burns out and you lose all control of the volume.

yep, i have no volume control either.

its not all bad tho, me and my passengers have had some great sing songs as a result.

If you're getting "Errr" displayed this means the changer can't read any of the CD's. This is typically because the lens is dirty, try using a lens cleaning CD or, if you're semi technical, remove the changer cover, locate the lens (usually pretty obvious to locate, but you probably won't be able to see the actual lens), use a cotton bud dipped in lighter fluid to wipe over the lens. This trick worked on my mates Audi changer. Worth checking before fault finding the other areas.
Also, no after market changer will just simply plug in to the Audi loom (as Audi being Audi, use a bespoke connection), you will need the appropriate adapter for the changer, available from www.icd-ltd.com

Yes, but they use different connector (just to be difficult), thus the need for an adaptor.

Cheers guys - loads of good ideas but its finding the time to try them - will definitely try and sort this weekend.

Si