Advice please guys!

spannah

Reaction score
Guys,

i have spotted an A3 1.8 T on a 1997 plate going for £3000, it has 91k on the clock with full audi service history. I called the guy up and asked about the cambelt and if it has been changed his reply was it doesnt need to be changed until 120k.

I was like huh? Does that mean you have had it changed and the 120k mark is the second cambelt, and he was like no its never been changed. Shall i keep away from the car or haggle him down to the price of what it costs to replace it?

I may go and view it to see what its like how it drives etc, but is it worth my while to check it?

91k and not been changed, I would want it changed before I drove it away.

Sods law you pay for it drive it a mile and it snaps....

Thats so true, and that kind of thing would happen to me as well.

I think the 120K figure refers to kilometers. I think the correct figure is 80K miles.

If it has never been changed it needs doing URGENTLY as a 10 year old belt is a major risk!

Thanks for the feedback guys, i will tell him to get it done if he wants what hes asking for

spence_star said:
Thanks for the feedback guys, i will tell him to get it done if he wants what hes asking for

Ask for proof positive it's been done as well, also the water pump should be changed at the same time.

At that sort of mileage it needs doing 20k miles ago at least!

If I was buying it, I would probably have it taken away on transporter and negotiate a price difference to include the cost of Belt kit (inc tensioners), water pump and transport.

dont touch it!

The belt needs doing at around 80k!

it is a 120,000 , or every 5 years , or 3 years not sure which one , but that is way overdue

no its 120,000 km as already said, which is roughly 80,000 miles but in reality you want to be changing it at 60k - or every 5 years. My car didnt have the belt changed till 83,000 ish and it was not looking in good shape, i'd suggest getting it lifted away as well and asking for £500 off the car.

Oh and not that its in any way likely to be the same for all A3's at this age but in the past year ive had to replace

Steering column(well i should have replaced it still not done it)

PAS Pump

Starter Motor

Aux Belt

Camshaft position sensor

Abs Sensor

Clutch is on way out

Doors and roof channel have the famous rust

2 new Carriers/bearings

Unknown ABS fault(not really anything to do with age i suppose)

2 front springs(again could happen anytime)

There's more but i cant remember what it is - i do most of the work on my car myself but if you cant do that then you're looking at a fair old bill shoudl you get similar problems.

Car is a '97 with 100k