Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Problems with "Door Open" display on dash

Hi , i was wondering if anyone can help , i own a 2001 Audi A3 tdi sport and have recently been experiencing a problem with my dash display showing up that my drivers door is open when it isnt ...the only way i can get it to go out is by constently opening and closing the door until it goes out....any ideas ? ....if it wasnt for the fact that the interior lights come on when the door open display is showing i could probably live with it ...! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    its really commen mate, loads on here! its the micro switch in the lock unit, you can clean it with contact cleaner etc but it'll eventually die! ive just bought a new one from audi for 39.97+vat part no 8L2837016B (DRIVER SIDE S3 MIND) surely a small repair but a bit job stripping to door down....
    Audi S4 Black on Black. 1999(T)facelift, Aluminium Mirrors, KW Varient 3 coilovers, AmD remap, uprated D/V's, 315bhp375Lb/ft torque, milltek down, 100cpsi cats an back, S4 B6 18" Oem runnin toyo T1-R's. Rs4 B5 front brakes still to fit...

Andy

Status
    Yeah I've got this problem too on my 1.9 TDi (2001).

4th Gear

Status
    it's occurs most frequent when the car has been sitting a while with the sun on it i've found

Audi S3 (2000)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by buckas
    it's occurs most frequent when the car has been sitting a while with the sun on it i've found
    yeh mine does the same, park in the shade and its fine

va va voom

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by buckas
    so true

i cant justify spending 40+ just to fix it, i can live with it, just switch interior lights off, and as soon as you sit in press the dis controller so it shows somthing else

but i heard the alarm isnt fully armed or somthing
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

hud at ye bam

Status
    Same issue here. I find that a little WD40 sprayed into lock works for a few days, otherwise slamming the door several times seems to sort it, especially after a mile or so of driving.

Riks suggestion is equally as good.
    [/sarcasm]

1st Gear

Status
    About the alarm, from what i've heard if you lock the door with the door problem the red lights don't flash on the doors and I think the internal sensors are disabled

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
    51 reg A3 1.8 Sport, 17"TT Alloys, Centre Arm, Leon Spliter.

Stockport

17 - Pug206, 19 - Punto, 23 - A3

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...rst_widget.pbw

3rd Gear

Status
    i find opening the door wide open and slamming it once makes it go of , never seems to go of when i just open and slam the door , i have got to fully open it

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Glad other people are having this issue as i thought it was just me.
    I have noticed the sun thing too does the micro switch overheat or something??
    I have just got used to shutting the door firmly whenever i get in or out of the car and also making sure the red lights are flashing when i leave the car.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Revo Stg 2 & Select+, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

1st Gear

Status
    Yep i have this problem as well.
    I re aligned the door a few weeks ago and it does not do it as often now.
    Again i just turn the interior light off and press the dis button go get rid of the door open display.

Just gonna live with it

4th Gear

Status
    Yes, it's a stunningly common problem. I had mine done by Audi (under warranty fortunately) last month. The dealer confirmed that the alarm does not arm if the car thinks one of the doors is open, so you're compromising the security of your car by not fixing it.

Mind you, the A3's alarm is pretty feeble...
    03 A3 (8L) TDi quattro Sport, Aluminium Silver with leather, armrest, cruise, xenons and me at the wheel

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks for all your posts guys ...well helpfull apart from the cure !!!! ...does anyone know what causes this problem ? where is the micro switch located? what does it look like? is it a big deal to replace? if it isnt too hard a job ,has anyone come across the possibility of a 2nd hand one being fitted?

6th Gear

Status
    If it is the same as efflicted the Mark IV Golf it is one of two things :

1. The micrososwitch that confirms that the door is close / open is gunked up with spray lube from when the locks are lubed. (part of the lock mecahnism)

2. A dry joint on the circuitboard in the lock mechanism.

On the Golf if it was the drivers door, it has been know for people to lock their keys in the car as they would unlock the car chuck the keys on the seat, and shut the drivers door to get something else, and as the alarm didn't realise that the door had been opened the autolock reactivated, locking the keys in the car.

You have been warned.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

Diesel Power!

Status
    yep i had this prob now..i squirted loads of WD40 init and i havent had it since...it did seem to occour during hot days tho,,, and as we hanvent really had many of those this year i dont know if its because of that!
    Audi A3 52 | 1.9TDI Quattro | Chipped 175 BHP | Hids |

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by garratt83
    About the alarm, from what i've heard if you lock the door with the door problem the red lights don't flash on the doors and I think the internal sensors are disabled

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
    yeh, because it thinks the door is ajar, then it doesn't arm the alarm properly, as when you lock it, the red lights or indicators dont flash

drew

1st Gear

Status
    Well thought I would see if I could get the microswitch and clean it today.

Took the side of the the door off but then was stuck couldn't find anything to clean.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
    51 reg A3 1.8 Sport, 17"TT Alloys, Centre Arm, Leon Spliter.

Stockport

17 - Pug206, 19 - Punto, 23 - A3

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...rst_widget.pbw