Don't tell me i've killed another turbo!!

leecs3

thinking about stuff
Reaction score
Got a strange rattle at 1800ish rpm if i blip the throttle and on the way home there was alot of boost noise but no real increase in forward motion. The car has a Hyperboost so can't be a DV problem. Last time i had these issues the turbo failed 4 weeks later. Not not like the car is thrashed, once a fortnight i have a little bit of a spirited drive. Any thoughts?

jojo said:
Sounds like a boost leak, check your hoses.

God i really hope so!! Not started to make the whine of death it make last time, do turbos rattle or are the rpms to high? Feeling sick as a dog as the moment as you can imagine..I'll ring Awesome tomorrow and hope for the best.

It won't be your turbo mate, you will get smoke, lots of high pitched whining and generally no performance.

It sounds like a hose somewhere popped off. The DV may be fine but the recirculation pipe may have become loose, as was the case with my car.

Yeah think your right. Its definately boosting at the moment (just driven to work in it) and no whine like before (yet!). There is more noise when it comes on boost and this dam rattle, possibly the cat? It did struggle with the emissions at mot time, may have always been there but as i'm not listening for problems its more noticeable. Fed up with S3's, nothing but problems and i really look after my cars too.

Dubplate said:
it could possibly be a loose baffle in the cat....

It's a very common thing for the the heat shield around the CATs to come loose and rattle due to the nuts rusting away, just get it/them welded...

I seem to have the same problem.. it sounds like the boost is 'leaking'.. with this being my first Turbo car and I'm not exactly mechanically minded anyway, could some one try point me in the right directions to which pipes it could be? Is it behind the block? What is it that goes down into the drivers front wing; the intercooler?

Sorry!

Just because you have a hyperboost valve does not mean there is not a problenm with it.
Piston valves are prone to sticking in this hotter weather, as tolerances tighten up. My new bailey was junked because of this.

Of course as it can stick open, closed or in the middle, it can easily knacker a turbo.
I have a new audi tt diaphram one now and am considering an evo 8 version bosch valve. At least if they fail its safe and noticeable immediately.