AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    5th Gear

Status

Changing Spark Plugs on S3

Has anyone done this on their S3 & if so, is it hard to do? I think you have to remove the coilpacks to get at them (is it worth replacing these at the same time and does anyone know how much coilpacks are likely to cost?)

Can anyone recommend a decent plug make to replace the OEM (Bosch i think) ones with - NGK / Champion etc?

Thanks in advance

Mike

(apologies for the stupidity of this but i've only ever owned diesels)
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

Aky
    Aky

Status
    Easy job - took about 30 mins as cylinder 3 & 4 need a little more effort involved as you need to move a bracket which is bolted in over the coilpacks. The Coils then pull out once you have diconnected them. I cahnged mine for NGK Platinum (which I think is OEM)

Neutral

Status
    I replaced the spark plugs myself it's easy.

Howerver I have the same question regarding the coilpacks, price ?

At what mileage should I replace them ?

And should we replace with the stocks ones ? Or is there a replacement part that performs better ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks, madvw, thats a useful write up - my only query is that it's specific to the BAM engine code and mine is a 10/2000 AMK engine code but i'd assume the plugs are in still in the same place?

ok, last question is can anyone recommend any good spark plugs and if it's worth doing the coilpacks at the same time? - any prices would also be useful
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

6th Gear

Status
    anyone tried the denso or ngk iridium plugs?

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    Coilpacks aren't a service item, there's no need to change them unless they are playing up. That said when one of mine went I changed all 4. they are around £28 each (for my APY engined S3) from the dealer and a little cheaper from VAG Parts.

3rd Gear

Status
    i put audi s2 spark plugs in mine , doug at mrc told me he puts them in all his high bhp s3s etc ,

2nd Gear

Status
    i ran denso iridiums on old golf. no problems.
    as for coil packs, i only replaced when one let me down (replaced all four at same time). paid about £22 each for them from vw (2 years ago, maybe cheaper now)

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    On my second set of denso iridium's,no problems.
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO ST2 MAP ,MILLTEK CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER,034 INTAKE PIPE.

3rd Gear

Status
    I use NGK RS4/RS6 plugs as they are a heat range colder.
    Rarrrr! I'm not Lesdyxic!

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

Aky
    Aky

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    I use NGK RS4/RS6 plugs as they are a heat range colder.
    Do they make any difference or is it down to personal choice?

3rd Gear

Status
    Well, it makes sense that when mapped or running other mods that a driver will, on average drive the car harder than normal. So, it follows that cylinder temps will, on average, be higher (this doesn't take into account the fact that the map is forcing higher boost levels and more ignition advance = higher cylinder temps). Therefore, it also follows that using a colder plug will help keep things in the 'optimum' working range.

I'm on my second set of colder plugs and discounting any placebo effects can say that it definitely helps to reduce the effects of heat soak. This is testing over numerous trips to the Nurburgring and other tracks and various times in the year.

I'm not saying it's a performance mod but I can without doubt notice the difference over the standard, slightly hotter plugs.

I have also tried the Bosch Super, 4 electrode plugs which made no difference at all.

I must say that during cold start and warm up the engine is not smooth and almost hesitant under load but I only have to endure this for no more than 5 mins, even on the coldest of days.
    Last edited by Stewart; 30th July 2007 at 23:13.

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Denso iriduim ik22's are also a heat range cooler.
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO ST2 MAP ,MILLTEK CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER,034 INTAKE PIPE.

6th Gear

Status
    Try a copper electrode standard heat range plug and they should effectively run cooler than the stock platimum plug, the electrode is wider and pulls out more heat.
    I run copper electrode NGKs, heat range 7, not 6 as stock, on my BT s3. They allowed a degree extra timing. They dont last as long, really need replacing every 5k to 10k miles, but they cost about £1.70 each not £10 each like the platinum ones can be.

3rd Gear

Status
    The Audi standard for A3 at least are NGK R/NGK, I had NGK R in my A3 and bought some replacements from Audi, they offer Bosch, NGK and another make I cant remember (its german but the technician there didnt recommend them) got just standard NGK. I read up on the iridium plugs before buying my sparks and read they arent really good in cars that run high boost will try to dig up the article...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpaceCowboy
    The Audi standard for A3 at least are NGK R/NGK, I had NGK R in my A3 and bought some replacements from Audi, they offer Bosch, NGK and another make I cant remember (its german but the technician there didnt recommend them) got just standard NGK. I read up on the iridium plugs before buying my sparks and read they arent really good in cars that run high boost will try to dig up the article...
    Nah, dealers will use whatever comes in cheapest. Mine came back from Preston Audi with Bosch plugs.

Clicky Here!

6th Gear

Status
    Beru are the other ones I think.
    Agree on the iridiums not being the best for high boost cars, the thin electrodes cause hot spots and preignition.

Hence I use the cheap and cheerful coppers and change them more often!