Turbo fan not stopping

I'm_Spartacus

I'm_Spartacus
Reaction score
Hi all! I bought a 2003 S3 about a month ago now and went off for two weeks on holiday, leaving my car in long term car parking...you can guess by now that it was dead when I got back. I did 150 miles that night and thought I had it charged up but car was left for two days this week and is now dead. I had to get the RAC to boost it and it turns out the Turbo fan is not switching off. Is this common? And slightly more worryingly, two or three days with a turbo fan on - would that screw the turbo? (I'm assuming it would be pumping around cold oil for hours and hours)

I've got a snagging list that Audi are going to fix or renew for me but do any of you have a problem when you select first when moving slightly? (3-5mph when coming up to a traffic light for example) It goes in and no knocks or anything so nothing wrong with the mesh but I can actually 'feel' the cogs mating through my clutch foot and it feels like I am not fully pressing the clutch.

Also, a slight rattle from both door areas, near electric window switches, under heavy cornering. Any thoughts? The wood trim seems hollow to me and quite budget when you squeeze and push at it so perhaps that might need tightening up? The last thing is, I have an AC rattle which increases when I turn it up. Right in the middle of the dash area...

Everything else works perfectly but after the outlay I made when I could have bought a new car I want the Stealer to make everything perfect!! He agreed, but let's see shall we!

Thanks guys.
Pierce

I think the turbo fan you are refering to is a collant pump IIRC.

If it was me I would firstly get a friend to plug VAGcom into it.

The Stealers will take you to the cleaners if your not careful.

Thanks for that, yeah you're right. Luckily it is covered on an extended warranty and the sales guy I talked to says it is a semi common problem that affects the S3 and TT.

Do any of you have a similar problem to me with 1 st gear or is this not a problem?

Cheers

i find you need to be practically stationary to select 1st

Dont bother with first if you are already rolling, just use second.

I'm talking about when you are coming up to the traffic light and there is a car stopped right in front and they are red but go green at the moment you are about to stop and want to go into 1st. I think revs below 2000 are so sluggish that I don't want to be in 2nd or for that matter if you want to accelerate quickly. I've never known a car to do it before without any problems. Saying that they gave me a brand new A3 2.0 S Line Quattro to use while mine is in the garage and that does it but no where need as bad. The scary thing is that up to 2000 rpm I reckon it would be flying ahead of the S3...though not mid range torque like ours. A fine car though but not a solid as the S3. Still the right choice I think!!