sports panel filters

danotto

VAG HUNTER
Reaction score
I have just bought a pipercross panel filter for my s3,but not sure if it will f~ck up my engine in any way,it does make the turbo sound louder though,has anyone got any thoughts on these filters ?good or bad?

If its oiled it *could* potentially knacker your maf, lots of people use them tho without much bother

when you say oiled do you mean some one has sprayed pipercross spray on it,or do you mean the fibres have an oil in them already,

I had a pipercross panel filter on my old TDI - the trick is not to oil it too much - all you need is a fine spray over it and leave it for about 30 mins before putting it back into the car.

if it's wet with oil etc - that'll get sucked into the engine - that's not good.

From what I have learnt, the standard air box can with stand upto 300BHP so there is no real need for neuspeed type ones for example. I used to own one and they make cool sounds but not alot else. The panel ones are better. There was a very interesting article about air fliters which I think Dave sent me once. I'll see if I can pull it out. It's a good read.

M44 DUB said:
I'd personally swap the piperX panel filter for a green cotton one! Better noise and proved more power gains.

I have a Pipercross one in my Fabia
It has been there for over 40k miles , not a problem
It is NOT the filter that causes the MAF to fail , it is the air passing over it that makes the MAF`s fail

The K&N filter is the market leader and have been for YEARS

The Pipercross is unoiled and does not HAVE to be oiled , the oil is there IF you want to put it on

I have a small amount on mine and that is just to help with the filtration

K&N ( the EXACT same as Green) will give slightly better air flow to styart when new or cleaned , but after approx 1k miles the Pipercross one will give better air flow and this is due to the way it filters the particles

So with the Pipercross ones being cheaper , mmmmmm pays your monet takes your choice

I chose Pipercross ;)

Another 20k miles or so , I can afford to throw it and get new if I choose

Hope that helps
Sarah

Not being funny but an air filter will give you jack all power gain, it just wont.

Unless you actually count 0.5-1bhp

im not after power gain really,jus air flow and an air filter which i can clean rather than replace,i fitted a pipercross panel filter and it seems ok

ive got the pipercross one... im happy with it... noticed a slight noise change... and my top speed increase by 5mph....

bouncer--daz said:
ive got the pipercross one... im happy with it... noticed a slight noise change... and my top speed increase by 5mph....

Got a pipercross also. Had 2 MAF's !?!? DON'T OVER OIL IT!! and do clean it regularly!!

ummmm ok i feel dumb.... you have to oil it?!? first ive heard of doing it?

bouncer--daz said:
ummmm ok i feel dumb.... you have to oil it?!? first ive heard of doing it?
On this type of filter its the oil on the gauze that enables the filtration to take place. It traps the smaller particles.