70k mile service - 1.8T 1999

benk

Reaction score
Got 70k mile service tomorrow.
I had timing belt, water pump and tensioner done 5000 miles ago, but is there any specific additional work I should be asking them to do in addition to the 70k service?

I'm going to ask them to think about reasons the car seems to be a bit jerky at slow speeds - e.g. release accelerator in 2nd and car sometimes seems to jerk a couple of times, as though revs fell too fast. If I rev slowly up to 3000 and then release, revs drop, jerk a bit at about 2000 and again at about 1200, then drops to idle at about 850. Is that normal?
Power delivery when accelerating seems smooth through the rev range.

Only other thing I was going to ask is that they take a glance at suspension bushes, cv joints and track rod ends.

thanks,
B

Ok, yesterday was the follow-up after my 70k service:
Original plan was to do battery and anti-rollbar bushes.
I also asked for them to replace the diverter valve as I could hear the turbo releasing pressure with a "chakka-chak" noise between gear changes.
The guy also cleaned out the throttle system (I imagine this must be what people call the "throttle body"), explaining that the valve in there is constantly controlled by the CPU to get the mix right - he revved it and you can see the metal disk on the outer part of the throttle moving as it manages the mix. A gunked up throttle means less travel for that mix valve. This seems to have reduced the jerky idle and the car definitely seems smoother.

The anti-rollbar links and bushes have made the car feel much tighter at the front, so it feels better in handling, braking and I don't get rumbling sounds over bumps anymore.

The diverter valve seems to have helped - power seems smoother and the engine seemed smoother and quieter at higher speeds. Haven't really had a chance to listen to the car between gear changes to make sure the pressure release has stopped, but didn't hear it this morning, and the valve should definitely fix that.

Battery was a new VARTA one for something like 43 pounds. He said they're better than the ones normally used as replacements, but they cost less. The old one had been leaking so they flushed the area with boiling water, but told me I should get some bicarbonate of soda (alkaline), mix with water and flush again, then more boiling water. I just have to help neutralise and rinse that old acid off basically. Will do that tomorrow.

So, car feels miles better than it did. Very happy with that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif