Clunk/Crack noise when I change gear?

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive noticed recently a noise on the A3 when I change gear, not always but its like a crack, doesnt sound all that bad, kinda hard to explain.

When I dip the clutch, you hear it when you let it out and the car moves forward, dont hear it if ur free wheeling.

Could it be to do with the 4WD? its done 64k now.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

I have the same problem.. today I'm having a rear engine mount replaced, maybe this will help.

dont think its the 4wd. poss gearbox/clutch.

which part of the car does the noise come from?

Kivi, let me know how it goes

It sounds like under the drivers seat kinda, you can hear it more when the noise bounces off walls in narrow places

Already fitted.. Seems like there is some improvement. However the cracking noise is still there but smaller, mainly when shifting from 2 to 3. I suspect it may be one of the front engine mounts.

Not a big deal to change this rear mount, maybe in your case it will solve the problem completely. Part numer 1J0 199 851R. Cost is around 70 Euro + 1/2 hour workshop work to change it.

Cool, cheers!

Ive worked out theres 2 noises now, lol, one is deffo front n/s spring I think, does it on the numerous speed bumps I have to go over, grrrrr

and other im still not sure of, my mate works for VW so is pretty good with things like that so ill have a word!

Anoyying these ****** noises, im sure the car was silent when I got it a couple of months ago, I had the same spring noise on my Golf which had Apex springs but thinking back im sure it could be an engine mount, think I also had one of these go on my Bora as well!