Confusion over chipping?

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

As I have just had this problem with the citreon saxo, I now realise it is time to chip. I know chipping has been discussed millions of times so I appologise in advance.

I have narrowed the choice down to two companies:-

AmD
APR

I was going to go for the AmD one-click device but I keep getting mixed stories from them.

I phoned AmD and asked what the performance gains would be on a one-click for a 210bhp S3. I was told +40 bhp (which would take the car to 250bhp). This I thought seems quite low for a chipped S3 so I asked whether a (old fashioned) remap would produce higher results. AmD told me that the one click would produce the same results as the traditional remap and all that was different was the delivery method (serial port rather than soldering iron)

They then said that if I had the 225bhp S3, this would give the extra 40bhp as quoted which would take the car to 265bhp. (This is more like it). Now this is where the confusion starts :- I thought the 210bhp model and the 225bhp model produced the same results when chipped? Is this right or did I dream it! AmD said that this wasn't the case which has left me all confused. If you look at their web site, it clearly shows that the traditional remap produces and extra 60-65 bhp for the 210, and 40-45 bhp increase for the 225. Looking at this I think i'm right!

I would prefer to go to AmD but all this confusion has tempted me towards looking else where. This is the first time I have chipped a car and I know that AmD know what they are talking about, which makes this painfull.

Does anyone on here know the answers to my questions? Is the one-click the same as the remap, just a different delivery method? What gains could I expect?

Anyone care to share their experiences with their APR remap? I am thinking of going to awesome gti to get it done. As they don't have a rolling road, anyone had it done and then had it rolling roaded?

Sorry about all the questions and the long post.

P.S This message is not intended to have a go at AmD as I know they are very reputable and good at what they do. I just would like some clear answers before I spend my hard earned!

Thanks
Rich.

i was expecting the increase to be 60-65 bhp for the 210bhp using the one click.

this still does not answer the main reason for this thread

Doesn't AmD run this forum? Can you help us with our questions?

I think there is at least 2 people on this thread who want to spend some money...

Cheers
Rich.

Don't worry Dicky, i've just copied your post from the top of this thread(hope you don't mind) and emailed it to them to answer. Hopefully they will come back to me with a answer.

Like you say as soon as this is cleared up, i will invest in a CHIP.

Great...

No I don't mind.

Looking forward to hearing what they say.

Cheers
Rich.

Dicky
I had my 210 S3 done at Awesome GTI for convenience. Have the switchable programme through the cruise control. I got the chip switchable programme, cruise control and Milltek exhaust all fitted for £1200. I'm lead to beleive this is comparable with most of the reputable tuners, but I didn't get a rolling road session so couldn't quote power figures. I never use the 210 BHP setting anymore as it feels s**t in comparison. The difference is unbelievable. Jim at awesome was very friendly as are all the guys there.
Both AMD and Awesome have a fantastic reputation, so to my mind it is horses for courses as someone has already stated. Either way, you won't be dissappointed. Good Luck
GBH

Is the "one click" option which AMD are about to release as simple as plugging the unit into the diagnostic port and switching it on, ie similar to flashing the bios in your computer?

In otherwords can they actually sell it by sending you the unit in the post?

Reason for the query is due to geographical location. AMD is a long way away for me!

regards

Whats the fuel bill like with the chip, as my standard S3 does about 26.2mpg and get about 150 miles out of £20.

Great differnece or minimalistic!

Hi

Where's the closest to Aberdeen for chipping? I take it there's no where cloes at hand.

Collect my S3 on Saturday!

Gregg

Star Performance are closest to us northern types, they do APR stuff...
They used to do AmD also...not sure if they still do though...

Give Jim @ Star a call for more info.

Alex,

those figures are really impressive. Is this with optimax? I take it that the chip program senses what fuel you have in the car and adapts accordingly? Do AmD set the car up for Optimax?

Cheers
Rich.

Alex,

I know this may sound cheeky but as we are not that far from each other (and I work in Cardiff) what do you think about meeting up somewhere one night?

I would like to talk to you more about the AmD stuff and it would also be nice to meet anyhow.

What do you think?

Hi Dicky,

Sorry but I think your dwelling way to much on figures !
Think of the product as a whole and how you will use it then buy the one that suits you best from a reputable dealer - your not going to notice 5 bhp here or there and will be far more impressed/pleased if there's extra user-friendlyness to the system you choose - eg APRs security (which I personally feel would be invaluable for the price) or the AMD one click - a small box that holds both modded and orginal programs for you to download in 5-10mins.

Try to find which one gives the best and flatest torque curves with good power gains as that's the one that "should" feel the best on the road.

Lastly on the dealer front - go to the one that is within a distance you would be prepared to travel should you have any problems - this all adds time and money to the purchase.

Just my 2p worth but hope it helps.

Dicky

Nice one mate for getting the answer.

I'm definatly going to wait for the one-click.

Can you send me the same document?

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
Dicky

Nice one mate for getting the answer.

I'm definatly going to wait for the one-click.

Can you send me the same document?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just sent you a PM.

Cheers
Rich.

Hi Rich,

I've got my S3 booked in at AMD for the One-click late next week.

Can you let me have the info on the Group Buy too?

Thanks!
Asif

Quote:

DavidR said:

"I would go to Star and get the APR software. Its nice to get you car checked on the rollers prior to the rechip to ensure there is nothing nasty going on with MAFs, DVs etc etc."

Thanks for the reply, even Fife is the best part of 250 miles away, so the idea of a generic plug-in module is appealing. OK it may be 5-10HP down on the fully mapped affair, but I can live with that. May give AMD a shout when they develop this.

regards

I've always felt it was a bit strange that there are no chip tuners in either Glasgow or Edinburgh (that I've heard of at least) Maybe you can stop off on the way up to the next Scottish meet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Alex / Dicky

I will second the 'cheeky question' of meeting up if its on the cards, i too live / work locally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have had my S3 for a yr and a half love it to bits, its due its 2 AVS very shortly and its now about time for me to fullfill my upgrade craving! would be good to meet some guys who know what they are talking about (relative to me) to find out where my money is best spent.

taking it to Nurburg again later this year .... i am looking to beat my 9:50 B-to-G

cheers
Marcus

PS just finished reading the thread - "Group Buy" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ?!?
could you send me the details aswell

Blimey Marcus, you live just round the corner from me - I'm surprised I've not seen you blasting about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll keep an eye out for you from now on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Alex.

..that will be my cloaking technology /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sounds about right.

was just under £200 for me on first S3 11-20% increase and then i got £160 rebate when changed to more expensive New S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

that was with DL. tesco and Privilidge are all mod friendly.

Just changed to Barclaycard direct.

btw you dont have to tell them who you are using.

none of my insurer's have ever asked.

its just insured as:

"Chipped management systems

Engine power : increase by 11-20%"

I was quoted an additional £211 for the remainder of my policy (10 months remaining) and that is with Direct Line. The way I look at it is the S3 is relatively cheap to insure compared to other cars in its league, and once it is chipped its like owning a different kind of animal! I think its not that bad when you consider what your car will be capable of.

When I just got a quote for an amazingly cheap £910! I thought great what will it be with the remap? I think it is always best to be fully declared, if you can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif However they will not insure me if the remap is over 25% bhp increase! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif If it is up to a 25% increase it would cost me another £675!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

This is why I cannot afford to do it. Ironically if I was to put the remap on the insurance, I wouldn't be able to buy the remap in the first place. I have put everything else on the insurance and I would love to put the remap on!

Why could I get insured on an S3 with slightly more bhp, torque for a quarter the cost of delcaring the remap on my A3? When will the insurance companies extract there c@#k from my ****! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

oops, looks like i've started something ...
Phall - i take your point, insurers do take the **** when it comes to extra money charged /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif i think we all here would agree.

My question was not 'do i declare', but who uses who and was i the only one who was surprised with the increase in premium. As Paul said, in the scheme of things an extra couple of hundred is a small price to pay for insuring a potential loss of 26000 !!

...and please dont get me ranting about those uninsured drivers that we all pay for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif