Temperature Sensor??

GarryA3

Reaction score
Hi guys,not been on for a while but back again with another problem.Got my turbo changed a while back due to lack of boost and going into limp mode.Everything seemed fine but then the lack of boost returned and also limp mode.I got a full service done because i thought my filters would cause the limp mode if the fuel/oil filters were blocked.Again things seemed better after this.
Just before christmas i noticed on a cold start that the car seemed to jump a bit,kind of kangaroo style and it felt like some kind of valve not opening properly.Never took much notice because once the temp gauge got to 90 then it was fine.Untill last week.
The car jumping got quite a bit worse then i noticed the temp gauge was dropping.Got to around 60-70 degrees and stopped.Also felt like the car had no boost at all and was back into limp mode.
Ive done a search for temp sensors which sounds like my problem but there is no mention of the car jumping with any of you guys.
Would a faulty temp sensor cause the car to go into limp mode or should i be more worried.Ive had the MAF,turbo,cam belt/water pump and some other valve (amongst other things) changed all in the last year or so and i just cant seem to get the car to its best again.Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

The temp sender would cause hard starts and erratic temp display, but it's not normal for it to cause any of the symptoms you've described. The best thing to do is to get it scanned for fault codes, and take it from there.

It may also be a faulty coilpack, once on of these goes the car will splutter and lurch as it won't be running on four cylinders.

GarryA3 said:
Hi guys,not been on for a while but back again with another problem.Got my turbo changed a while back due to lack of boost and going into limp mode.Everything seemed fine but then the lack of boost returned and also limp mode.I got a full service done because i thought my filters would cause the limp mode if the fuel/oil filters were blocked.Again things seemed better after this.
Just before christmas i noticed on a cold start that the car seemed to jump a bit,kind of kangaroo style and it felt like some kind of valve not opening properly.Never took much notice because once the temp gauge got to 90 then it was fine.Untill last week.
The car jumping got quite a bit worse then i noticed the temp gauge was dropping.Got to around 60-70 degrees and stopped.Also felt like the car had no boost at all and was back into limp mode.
Ive done a search for temp sensors which sounds like my problem but there is no mention of the car jumping with any of you guys.
Would a faulty temp sensor cause the car to go into limp mode or should i be more worried.Ive had the MAF,turbo,cam belt/water pump and some other valve (amongst other things) changed all in the last year or so and i just cant seem to get the car to its best again.Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

Hum.. that could be the INTAKE AIR TEMP sensor. It's located on the inlet manifold. It just screws in by one bolt. Try removing it and spray contact cleaner on it. It's worth a try and is easy to do.

Hope this helps.

It may be that you have a couple of problems
Does sound like for what it costs it may be worth doing the coolant temp sensor
They are very common to go down
Try that , but it is worth getting it checked over before you go down the route of spending loads more money on it
Sarah

Throttle_Body_2.jpg

It's just here ^^^^^ where the plug goes into.

It does sound like the temp sensor to me, Ive had a few mates with them go lately and they produced similar problems, however it may also be the coil pack.
You need to get it on Vag-Com mate.

Thanks for all the replies people.Still having problems and ive been unable to get the car to someone to look at it or get it checked on Vagcom yet.
Last night however the engine management light was flashing and the car cut out at one point.Seems to be an intermittent fault so would that tell any of you anything else whether it would be coil pack or just the temp sensor.
Meant to say its a 1.9 Tdi 2001 btw.

It could well be the coil pack.

Does it get worse in the wet? Does it miss at all under load?

I havent noticed whether its been worse when wet mate.Just kind of feel when accelarating its just not doing what its meant to be doing and has went into limp mode due to me trying to accelrate to hard on occasion.
Quite sluggish and jerky but as i said when the engine heats up it seems better but not 100%.
Would the coil pack cause the temp gauge to drop though?Or maybe ive got both problems????

I had similar problems on my previous mk4 Golf . Hesitation hot and cold engine Turned out to be coilpack which got replaced on warranty.
Then a few months later had the samish problem which turned out to be coolant temp sensor. I cant remember which way round it was but it only happened at either hot/cold
But get it checked out first on VAG.com or someting as this will bring up exactly what it is. You can get the coilpacks i think on Vag parts / Vag spares for approx £50. The local garage charged £75 for the sensor fitted which also got claimed off warranty.

Buy a temp sensor and try it, theyre about £20 iirc

Ill hold my hands up and say guys that ive very little skills when it comes to cars.Are the temp sensors easy to fit?If so where are they located?

The air intake temp sensor is really easy to fit takes 5 mins. Just one screw.

Throttle_Body_2.jpg

Just be careful not to mess around with the wires and stuff you'll know what I mean when you take it out.

Hope this helps.

I'm getting similar symptoms plus my idle is quite lumpy and high over 1000rpm. I took Nickelvery's advice and cleaned out the temp sensor (made sure i was careful with it) still got the same symptoms so took it to the garage today and they vag commed it and both the MAF and the Temp sensors were giving a low reading so am gonna replace both n fingers crossed solve this.

can someone direct me to where I can get a temperature sensor from?! I've tried to find them on then net and tried vagparts.co.uk but can't seem to find it, is a temp sender the same thing?! Sorry for being stupid!!!

i bought one last week from dealers £28 and thay can show you where it is

or euro parts £23 with a 'good luck!'

your choice ......

p.s remember to buy some G12 coolant and wait for engine to cool

that still doesn't help me i'm afraid, am i looking for the temperature switch, the coolant level sensor? I'm a total bonehead when it comes to this little green thing it appears!! can you give me a link to the exact page to get it please?!?!

Scrappy said:
that still doesn't help me i'm afraid, am i looking for the temperature switch, the coolant level sensor? I'm a total bonehead when it comes to this little green thing it appears!! can you give me a link to the exact page to get it please?!?!

hope this helps - pretty universal accoss range petrol and derv

1029eQiI7-9615.jpg

059 919 501B
That I believe to be the part number required
GSF , Euro car parts should be able to sell you them
Get a seal to go with it too , approx £1 for it , so not worth messing
Make sure the engine is cold when you do it , and just loosen the expansion tank cap too
Good luck
Sarah

k i now have a green temp sender, and have absolutely no idea where it goes. I have tried all the guides looking for where it may be, and have been under the bonnet looking for the right place for ages now!!

I know from other guides it's between the head and the airbox but cannot see it!! If anyone can help via a photo i'd be eternally grateful!! It's a '98 1.8T btw.!!

Ok, I've got a hold of the sender, I had the wrong part, my one is the older version! I've managed to change it and nothing,. the car is still acting up temp wise. Even when it gets to 90C now the turbo is just non-existent, there's no pull from it whatsoever, when I slow down for junctions etc, it drops off to about 80C as well, very temperamental. Any ideas????