Traction control not working !

stevess3

Reaction score
The traction control isn't working on my s3 its a 2000 model, I have a warning light on the dash that dosen't ever go off ? The esp button makes no difference when pressed

This car has been in a hedge but suspension etc are undamaged what is the likely cause ? a sensor ?

Yeah I had this on mine for a short while. The first time it happened I had left my MAF unplugged. VAGcom has found a fault with my MAF so the second it was plugged in but went away after a while. Have you got VAGcom?

Sorry whats vagcom ? i'm new to audi's !

where can i find the maf sensor ?

i got the same problem mines almost always on, ive been told the sensor is stupid expensive so im leaving mine for the time being, think its the laterial acceleration sensor (g200) and its located under the steering wheel to the right i think.

Vag-Com is diagnostic software for all VAG cars www.vag-com.com

Its the same stuff the dealers use and charge you £50 a time for the privilige!!

Where are you based?

I'm far down in cornwall !

I'll have a look for that sensor and check out that site

How much is the software ?

first clicky doesn't seem to work for me ?

is it worth getting the software and i guess a comms lead if your an audi owner

Do some research first mate. The prices are on the website, and the genuine stuff is around £200 iirc, but thats only 4 or 5 visits to Audi, so depends how flash youre feeling.

You can get copy leads on ebay though.

It may be worth buying then, I'm guessing that in a couple of years it will pay for itself ?
These s3's are far more complicated than i first thought, anyway before i start buying software i need to attend to soem other problems first

Thnaks for all your help !

I had the g200 sensor go on mine - VAG.com should confirm this. First symptoms are that the light comes on intermittently then after a while it just stays on. The part is about £100 and it is fitted under the steering column in facelift cars as part of the 'combi sensor' module. An hour or so to fit but be prepared for some scraped knuckles. Worth knowing that there is a Torx screw head in the mounting bolt under the dash...

jcs356 hi m8 is there a part number for this as i would like to order asap just dont feel safe driving around without any of the safety aids working.

thx

i have this too, as it goes. Will get round to it one of these days. But it is so intermittant at the moment - i cant really justify the expense. Ill wait until it happens more oftern then not on a cold start and then change it.

stevess3 said:
How much is the software ?

first clicky doesn't seem to work for me ?

is it worth getting the software and i guess a comms lead if your an audi owner

You can get the full copy of VAGcom for £50, just download the latest version off http://www.ross-tech.com/

Then buy the lience for £50.

As for the cable just buy it off ebay. You shouldn't have to pay more than £20.

You can do all Audi's, most VW and Seat's too.

Very useful.

Hope this helps.

im defo gunna get this, im worried my MAF may have said ceeyaa have a nice journey as my fuel consumption is like 25mpg at the moment after a remap!

Thanks to some advice from Stan , I've decided to get some bits off ebay and have a look
i have found a lead and software for around £30 delivered from the uk and not from Hong Kong !

I think most of my trouble is due to the fact i have bought mine crashed, Its not to badly damaged and its going to be repaired asap but i think this maybe part of the trouble

I have heard that if the accident is in the crash register it may be that i can never reactivate the traction control ? this dosen't sound right ? Dose anyone know ?

Jonesy said:
jcs356 hi m8 is there a part number for this as i would like to order asap just dont feel safe driving around without any of the safety aids working.

thx

Erm, I'm away on my travels at the mo so I don't have my invoice with me. However it is definitely worth checking via VAG.com to find out which sensor it is - there is both a lateral and a longitudinal sensor, both of which can fail and result in these symptoms. They are expensive (approaching £100 each) so you need to make sure that you are buying the correct one.

There is some more info in this thread:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=37547

Whilst playing around with my car after cleaning the throttle body i noticed that when i unclipped the temp sensor the esp light came on and would not go off so maybe this is the fault you are getting.

Vagcom should let you know as that is what i have just had confirmed on my S3 so am looking into getting my own vagcom now after the good advice from Nickelvery.

Mastayoda : What remap did you get done on your S3 + how much did it cost and where from??

hi i own vagcom and it defiantly says laterial sensor, may go to audi and order 2moro morning, if i find out code ill post abck here.

jcs356 said:
Erm, I'm away on my travels at the mo so I don't have my invoice with me. However it is definitely worth checking via VAG.com to find out which sensor it is - there is both a lateral and a longitudinal sensor, both of which can fail and result in these symptoms. They are expensive (approaching £100 each) so you need to make sure that you are buying the correct one.

There is some more info in this thread:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=37547

bought the laterial sensor cost 106 quid, gonna attempt to fit and hope it fixes the problem. if anyone interested part no. is 1j2 907 639

Allan

Now my vag com has arrived i have found the same fault with mine

under the abs section its say lateral acceleration sensor . i cleared the fault code and the esp light went out but after turning the ignition off then on again it was back with the same fault code

Dose any one have a picture of this sensor etc for the pre face lift s3 ?