Beaten by a Saxo!

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Right then, I'm slightly p**sed off as last night I could not beat a Citreon Saxo. I persume it was the vts model and it was modified (lowered, exhaust, lights etc).

I was behind him on a dual carridgeway and on 2 attempts could not gain on him. I even think at one point he was slightly pulling away from me. I don't think there is anything wrong with my car.

Anyone know how easily these cars can be modified? What sort of power do they have and has anyone else been up against one? How did you get off? I know they are light but come on!

I will be booking myself into AmD very soon!

Cheers
Rich.

i would have thought you would kill a standard saxo, a couple of places do turbo kits for these - maybe it had somthing like that on it ???

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Right then, I'm slightly p**sed off as last night I could not beat a Citreon Saxo. I persume it was the vts model and it was modified (lowered, exhaust, lights etc).

I was behind him on a dual carridgeway and on 2 attempts could not gain on him. I even think at one point he was slightly pulling away from me. I don't think there is anything wrong with my car.

Anyone know how easily these cars can be modified? What sort of power do they have and has anyone else been up against one? How did you get off? I know they are light but come on!

I will be booking myself into AmD very soon!

Cheers
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you hav a spare £5k, they are very modifyable engines! I know somone with 210bhp... Running quad throttle bodies... baically the same setup as the rally cars. Plus there are lots of companies that do supercharger/turbo conversrions. They are actually pretty quick as standard, and an exhaust and de-cat and ram air filters work well for good gains (as far as NA tuning goes anyway).

Rich

I would get your car booked into Audi first sounds like your Turbo has fallen off :0)

Never had any problems with these cars but who knows could of been modded up big time.

Had a run with a a modded RS Turbo the other day, he pulled on me up to 70MPH then i stuffed him quite suprising really, but lighter car and had been modded apparently.

Need a REMAP to !!

I had a Saxo VTS before the S3.

7.7 to 60mph standard, but with exhaust with CAT by pass, filter and suspension on there, makes it a very quick car and its a light car too.

My old one was pushing about 135/140 hp

Great fun!

I want mine chipped by AMD, but at the end of the year due to cost and insurance etc

I thought it was illegal to actually modify the engine on a Saxo?
Are you sure he wasn't just 4 up and everyone was pedalling really fast?

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Handlings one thing, roadholding is another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were much the same - guess its semantics. Anyhow, the Saxo (VTR/VTS) had great handling and roadholding, combined with a surprisingly good ride for something so darty and pointy. My only criticism was that the rear end could be a little keen to overtake the front if you threw it into a bend too quickly. But as an OEM car without mods, it is hard to find a car that can corner as quickly and stop so effectively.

Comparisons with an S3 are silly though, as they are totally different machines, designed for totally different buyers with totally different priorities. I'd still rather take my old VTS down any given country road over anything VAG has offered up recently (perhaps with the exception of the R32 Golf!)

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Handlings one thing, roadholding is another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were much the same - guess its semantics. Anyhow, the Saxo (VTR/VTS) had great handling and roadholding, combined with a surprisingly good ride for something so darty and pointy. My only criticism was that the rear end could be a little keen to overtake the front if you threw it into a bend too quickly. But as an OEM car without mods, it is hard to find a car that can corner as quickly and stop so effectively.

Comparisons with an S3 are silly though, as they are totally different machines, designed for totally different buyers with totally different priorities. I'd still rather take my old VTS down any given country road over anything VAG has offered up recently (perhaps with the exception of the R32 Golf!)

[/ QUOTE ]

David, I take 'handling' to mean the feel of the car and roadholding to be the actual grip of the thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
RS6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The RS6 handles like a very fast barge. Better, perhaps, that one might imagine it to, but barge like nontheless. It was not difficult for a standard S3 to keep up with an RS6 on some challenging northern roads recently. Arguably the RS6 is one of the poorest handling of the VAG "sporty" cars.

I had the same problem not long after i got my s3 a moded vts up my **** going down the dual carrigeway little sod kept up with me upto about 120-130mph after that i pulled away thank god otherwise the s3 would have gone back or i would have topped myself.When i turned off he come past me and his exshausts were just as big as his car and it sound like a very wet fart.

+20% takes a 225 up to 270 bhp thats enough for a standard remap

[ QUOTE ]
NWMark said:
oh please tell me your taking the ****, a tin can of french crapness with torsion bar rear suspension, can really outhandle an S3!!!

surely this can be true????

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to say...a well driven Saxo can reasonably easily leave a standard S3 under certain circumstances.

If the roads are dry and the Saxo well driven, it will always turn in quicker than the understeering S3. Basic physics...less weight etc.

I dislike the nasty little things immensely, but there's no doubt that they are a joy to drive (the Pug 106 is the same to drive) if you like the 'oops here comes my back end' type of driving experience.

Nothing wrong with torsion bar rear suspension either...many of the best handling hot hatches use torsion bar back ends.

For the money, they do exactly what they promise...but in a reasonably tinny and badly built sort of way...but you can't fault the handling (or roadholding if you prefer) if you drive an Audi.

I've had bother with one recently...damp night...S3 understeers, caught off boost...Saxo took me into illegal speeds to pass it...so a well driven Saxo can cause a chipped S3 a few problems too.

It's all down to power to weight ratio.

I thought it was stuffing - e.g. turkey/chicken. No.. that's Paxo.

It's a shitroen *** - not even the sport as an Audi let alone the same league. If you want something that will cane the **** off a piece of **** go buy a subaru or something like a supra twin turbo, problem sorted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but if you want a well crafted piece of engineering stick with the audi (says he who don't own one yet - with emphasis on YET!) my main enemy drives a kitted up Almera Gti (which I must say was nice until he put them ****** **** stickers on, now it looks like a fast zebra) I know it will tonk my *** all over the roads when I get my T Sport, but I'll always be better lookin than him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My EX girl has a saxo VTS.. and i've Tunned it up to the max!! i mean it's a 1.6 piece of ****.. with Koni adjustables all round.. but check out what i done to it

-Turbo T25 Hybride stage 1
-DP ex manifold
-EPS 63mm Downpipe
-Custom made exhaust system 70mm
-Forge univ intercooler
-Forge Dumpvalve
-Auqamist MF2 injector driver +2bar MAP sensor
-2 extra injectors
-4 Bar fuel regulator
-SFS hoses and RVS
-Open airfilter
-flowed head
-lowerd compresion
-Reinforced engine mounts

and not to mention the ****** leather trimmed interior and the 17's!! just try and fit 17's on a SAXO... it's a biach!! for real!! took about 2 weeks work to get them to sit under the arches propperly without rubbing or scraping!!!!!

the beast nearly flew off the chatr on the roaling road..!! check out the attachment for a pic of the stat sheet!!

Later Mac

Lots of power in a light weight car.

Had a tuned Saxo VTR before the S3 and loved the little thing.........

If its the saxo I am thinking of..........its a mad one and owned by a guy called Simon.

VERY QUICK!

Starting to miss mine now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif ..............feeling better now after looking out the window to see the S3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Have to agree with David R on this. On a straight handling front, the Saxo was a blast. Right up until I hit that post and ended up updside down.

As for grip, the S3 is better, no doubt, sorry David, but I think your wrong there. I recently chased a VTS round a sweeping bend onto the motorway and the Saxo was squirming about, whereas I could easily have gone quicker. Frankly, I was surprised, my memory was obviously playing a trick or two there. Had that been a tight, twisting bit of road, well, I'd probably have been working hard to keep in touch.

Yes, the interior was naff, but handling was great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
RS6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The RS6 handles like a very fast barge. Better, perhaps, that one might imagine it to, but barge like nontheless. It was not difficult for a standard S3 to keep up with an RS6 on some challenging northern roads recently. Arguably the RS6 is one of the poorest handling of the VAG "sporty" cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree RS6 was too barge like but in a straight line the car was immense and had no bother passing said S3 at 170+mph. RS6 was one of the worst handling cars I have owned and the gearbox was simply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif although apparantly it sounded quite good. In the twisties anything would leave it for dead(including a saxo!) especially when the dumb *** driver drove with the handbrake on complaining of terrible oversteer.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif