audi a3 1.6 sport 1999 - a few problems..

paulious

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first audi, infact my first car and am completly new to owning a car so please excuse me if some of the questions seem stupid or have been answered in other threads.

i bought the car a few weeks back( brought along a mechanic ) who assured me that despite the high mileage there were no serious faults or excessive engine wear. however having driven it around abit now iv noticed a few things..

when i start it in the mornings the idle revs are around 1200 till it warms up (a few minutes)then it drops to the normal 800. Is this something to be concerned about?

When driving at low speeds i can hear a faint knocking sound from the front near side, am i right in guessing that its worn bushes? I had the same problem from the back when i test drove it and made the seller send it to garage to get it fixed befor ei bought it. If so is this something i should get sorted quickly as it might be dangerous or just annoying?

A couple of times when waiting at lights or junction the idle revs will suddenly jump to 2000+ for a few seconds then drop to normal. i pulled up the back of the accelerator pedal with my foot but there seemed to be no play and it made no difference.

One last problem is that im sure the odometer is innacurate, i drove to town which im sure is no more than a mile but the odometer had registerd just over 2?! The speedo seems to be accurate however. I will have to get a mate to drive the same route see what distance it is but until then im pretty convinced its wrong. Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance for your replies.:rockwoot:

paulious said:
when i start it in the mornings the idle revs are around 1200 till it warms up (a few minutes)then it drops to the normal 800. Is this something to be concerned about?

completely normal!

paulious said:
When driving at low speeds i can hear a faint knocking sound from the front near side, am i right in guessing that its worn bushes? I had the same problem from the back when i test drove it and made the seller send it to garage to get it fixed befor ei bought it. If so is this something i should get sorted quickly as it might be dangerous or just annoying?

possibly, get it checked though

paulious said:
A couple of times when waiting at lights or junction the idle revs will suddenly jump to 2000+ for a few seconds then drop to normal. i pulled up the back of the accelerator pedal with my foot but there seemed to be no play and it made no difference.

sounds easy to fix (someone'll know!)

paulious said:
One last problem is that im sure the odometer is innacurate, i drove to town which im sure is no more than a mile but the odometer had registerd just over 2?! The speedo seems to be accurate however. I will have to get a mate to drive the same route see what distance it is but until then im pretty convinced its wrong. Is this a common problem?

check the distance accurately, if it's WAY off, then possibly the wrong tyres?

:icon_thumright:

Thanks BaBs for the advice and prompt reply! I will post an update after me and my mate have measured the distance accurately, itl be interesting to see how far off it is, and if it is that would mean the total mileage of 161K would also be an oversight!

I'd borrow a road angel or satnav and check the mph. Don't see how one can be out and the other accurate. Tyres would effect both.

Is it possible your odometer is reading in km and not miles, that may explain how it seems to be innacurate.

Thanks again for all your replies, i have just been out for a drive and took my satnav, over 40miles (indicated by odometer) the GPS read a trip distance of 41miles and checking the speed as i was going along there was virtually no difference upto around 60mph then only a small variation of about 3-4 mph. I must admit my own stupidity here, where i thought the town was only a mile away but odometer read 2, well ofcourse it did i came back it was a round journey haha. Having read some interesting articles about speedo's tho i found that they tend to overestimate speed slightly the faster you go. An example they gave was a 5 year old mondeo reading 105 on the speedo but actual spead was 98. Apparently it has something to do with the way most speedos calculate speed.

'A couple of times when waiting at lights or junction the idle revs will suddenly jump to 2000+ for a few seconds then drop to normal. i pulled up the back of the accelerator pedal with my foot but there seemed to be no play and it made no difference. '

had my mechanic mate look at it and he assures me that its the clutch plate slipping and i should be able to get away with having the clutch re-conditioned rather than a new one.

All i have to do now is send off my concert radio as it has the typical problem of the volume going straight to max whenever you try to adjust it. If anyone has this same problem, send it to:

O. E. Electronics Ltd
6 Fourbrooks Business Park
Stanier Road
Calne
Wilts
SN11 9PP

Thread reference : http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1842