Toyo tyres.

Which tyres do you prefer between these two?

• Total voters

nickaudi41

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I live near Reading and was wondering where a good cheap places to get some 225/40/18 Toyo Proxes TR1 tyres from?

Burghfield Tyres don't do them.

Any ideas?

Wheel Game in Tadley have quoted me £446.15 including VAT and fitting.

Headley Tyres 01635 268384 is the only other one near reading that are cheap.

Wheel Game is a Toyo stockist so you can probably barter them down if you ask, give em a sob story and they will knock off a few quid. Got my tyres from them for the past 5 years and they have always done me a deal.

Micheldever tyres is surely the place to try...............certainly used to be the bees knees, people form all over the country used to queue up around the village waiting to get in there!!

jesters3 said:
Headley Tyres 01635 268384 is the only other one near reading that are cheap.

Wheel Game is a Toyo stockist so you can probably barter them down if you ask, give em a sob story and they will knock off a few quid. Got my tyres from them for the past 5 years and they have always done me a deal.

Yeah i mostly use Wheel Game too, I just phoned Headly Tyres and he informed me that Toyo Proxes TR1 are econonmy tyres which he doesn't rate at all?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:no:

I actually prefer Goodyear Eagle F1's to the Toyos, and they are a similar price, they are usually a couple of £ more expensive but its worth looking if you aren't having any luck sourcing the Toyos.

simch said:
Micheldever tyres is surely the place to try...............certainly used to be the bees knees, people form all over the country used to queue up around the village waiting to get in there!!

Yes, but who can face the queuing, I went there on a week day thinking it would be quiet, took 2 hours to get 2 tyres fitted.
If you select the ones you want on blackcircles then select local fitting, they will give you a lsit of local fitters, then call them direct and you'll get a better price. Very few of them advertise as they're all small industrial estate type places, very low overheads.

nickelvery said:
Yeah i mostly use Wheel Game too, I just phoned Headly Tyres and he informed me that Toyo Proxes TR1 are econonmy tyres which he doesn't rate at all?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:no:

What balls!!

They are exceelent on the S3. I have 350hp and cannot unstick the things! And they are so much quieter than the GSD 3 F1s. A very nice tyre, check out the reviews on mytyres.com, you will be hard pushed to beat them for the money.

I reckon he just does not sell them or sells something else he makes more money on!

simch said:
What balls!!

They are exceelent on the S3. I have 350hp and cannot unstick the things! And they are so much quieter than the GSD 3 F1s. A very nice tyre, check out the reviews on mytyres.com, you will be hard pushed to beat them for the money.

I reckon he just does not sell them or sells something else he makes more money on!

Spot on, he doesn't stock them!!!!! :icon_thumright:

Yup, I'll agree with the Quieter than the F1's statement.

Not as sticky as F1's but they seem to last longer as a result.

I bet he recommends Nakangs or somerthing else he makes 200% profit on instead!

I've had Toyo's on my Zetec S and I have to admit they were the worse tyres I have ever known. They may have improved since I last bought them approx 3 years ao but they were that shocking that I will not buy another set. They didn't grip in the dry and certainly didn't grip in the wet. absolute Cr@p

Aky said:
I've had Toyo's on my Zetec S and I have to admit they were the worse tyres I have ever known. They may have improved since I last bought them approx 3 years ao but they were that shocking that I will not buy another set. They didn't grip in the dry and certainly didn't grip in the wet. absolute Cr@p

Those aren't the Toyos I know. They have been updated and the newer ones are the TR1.

Fair enough but I certainly wouldn't buy anymore without a test drive first!

Can only give my opinion of Goodyear F1's, never tried Toyo's........

Had F1's on my 16v anniversary Mk3 Golf. The stickiest tyre I have ever used, fantastic.

The wear rate isn't great, but then you can't have your cake and eat it I suppose!!

:thumbsup:

I had Toyo TS1s and Eagle GSD3s on my Clio Williams and found the Goodyears quieter and had more grip. The Toyos (very noisy) lasted longer and were great in the wet about the same as the Goodyears but not as good in the dry.

Ive never had TR1s yet but had Eagles again on my Golf GT Tdi - were superb again but seemed to wear quickly.

I've got Vredestein tyres and they are RUBBISH LOL

Were on there when I got my car - gonna wait till I need to replace them to get new ones - can't wait!

Do the F1's come with the rim protector?

My vote goes to the Goodyears at the moment, as its my first time on Toyo rubber...

Still to push it & find the limits in the wet. Had Goodyears on b4 & they were the dogs gonads! :respekt:

Trouble with the goodyears is that about three years ago they were excellent tyres made in Japan and the dogs bits etc......then I had a second set and they were dreadful by comparison on my gof, car was all understeery....I looked carefully at them and they said made in China.......>!!!

Goodyear acknowledged the problem with them, and whilst the chinese versions are improved, they are not in the same league as the old japanese ones..

so be careful, there are lots of the early chinese ones still about. if you look on mytyres you will see various load ratings and model numbers for the same size tyres .........There are many variables.......

My toyos were form mytyres and just seem to be faultless on the s3 so far (4k miles). wear rate appears good, wet traction that it was marked down a little on is not a problem with the 4wd. I would buy another set tomorrow for it.
My golf has GSD3 F1s on it....I would be tempted to move to T1Rs on that next time around, but will deffo stick with the toyos on the S3 now.

i just got some Bridgestone potenza RE070's .. and i think they are fantastic in the dry! not so great in the intense wet, but i dont plan to do go quick through foot deep puddles as it seems to be popular in my area at the moment!!

Well I better add my 2p, I thought I should give a different tyre a go so tried the T1-Rs last time around on the front (Jan), here's my comparison with eagle F1-GSD3s (225/45/17)

Toyos were worse when brand new.
Toyos were less predictable but slightly more outright grip when hot
Toyos didn't last anywhere near as long as the goodyears, will try and figure out by how much when they are replaced with F1s again this week.

simch said:
Trouble with the goodyears is that about three years ago they were excellent tyres made in Japan and the dogs bits etc......then I had a second set and they were dreadful by comparison on my gof, car was all understeery....I looked carefully at them and they said made in China.......>!!!

Goodyear acknowledged the problem with them, and whilst the chinese versions are improved, they are not in the same league as the old japanese ones..

so be careful, there are lots of the early chinese ones still about. if you look on mytyres you will see various load ratings and model numbers for the same size tyres .........There are many variables.......

My toyos were form mytyres and just seem to be faultless on the s3 so far (4k miles). wear rate appears good, wet traction that it was marked down a little on is not a problem with the 4wd. I would buy another set tomorrow for it.
My golf has GSD3 F1s on it....I would be tempted to move to T1Rs on that next time around, but will deffo stick with the toyos on the S3 now.

Yep - I've got some of the chinese ones on at the moment. Car hasn't felt half as good handling wise - to the point I was looking at suspension components for probs. I think it is the tyres though. Tyre noise terrible now.

Want to switch but not sure to what. Was gonna go with T1Rs but some -ves in this thread. Opinions, opinions, opinions!!!!!!!

bantam1 said:
Yep - I've got some of the chinese ones on at the moment. Car hasn't felt half as good handling wise - to the point I was looking at suspension components for probs. I think it is the tyres though. Tyre noise terrible now.

Want to switch but not sure to what. Was gonna go with T1Rs but some -ves in this thread. Opinions, opinions, opinions!!!!!!!

I have pretty much always used Toyos and think they are great. They are alightly cheaper and great in the wet.

I know most people on here think that Goodyears are the way to go but Toyos are great tyres.

Dave_Bayern said:
Bracknell tyres fit for £6 a tyre.

Or they did for me anyway.

I have spoken to them and they will do it for £8 +VAT for each tyre.

I think with petrol costs I might aswell just go to Wheelgame in Tadley. They quoted me £410 fitted for all 4.

Nick you have rubber hanging off your side walls, then on your tread! :)

Got those Toyo's yet?

If you check the poll, Goodyears seem to have the vote! ;)

I must get special price :)

Thats what being an honest northerner does for you.

And saying "HOW MUCH" in shops when they tell you how much they charge. It makes them feel guilty and offer better prices.

Jampublic said:
Nick you have rubber hanging off your side walls, then on your tread! :)

Got those Toyo's yet?

If you check the poll, Goodyears seem to have the vote! ;)

The thing is has everyone who has voted tried both sets of tyres on their Audi? I didn't vote as I've only ever had the Goodyears on the S3 as they were the tyre of 'choice'. There is the possibility that this is perpetuated as whenever people ask about tyres the F1s are the answer and so many never try anything else and continue to think they are best. A third option of haven't tried both would have helped - or was the assumption that people wouldn't vote if they didn't have the basis to compare?

bantam1 said:
The thing is has everyone who has voted tried both sets of tyres on their Audi? I didn't vote as I've only ever had the Goodyears on the S3 as they were the tyre of 'choice'. There is the possibility that this is perpetuated as whenever people ask about tyres the F1s are the answer and so many never try anything else and continue to think they are best. A third option of haven't tried both would have helped - or was the assumption that people wouldn't vote if they didn't have the basis to compare?

Its all about choice :) Cheers Bantam1! I have only used Pzero's, so I know nothing about these tires! :(

Oh and I have seen Nick's Tires, they are knackered!! He needs some new rubber!

I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's and Toyos on several cars.

The Goodyears have had the edge every time, apart from price as they can be up to £10 more per tyre.

I also currently have P-Zero's, which are OK but not as good as as either the above.

Dave_Bayern said:
I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's and Toyos on several cars.

The Goodyears have had the edge every time, apart from price as they can be up to £10 more per tyre.

I also currently have P-Zero's, which are OK but not as good as as either the above.

He keeps telling me Pzero's suck! :(

P-Zeros last for ever though don't they.

Thats the trade off.

I've never got more than about 11K from Goodyears or Toyos.

My F1 GSD's last about 5000 miles. Good but too expensive when you go through a few sets a year

I know this is against popular opinion but I think I'm going to go for the Toyos. I will get them on Tuesday next week. Can't wait, mine are starting to look like slicks!! Thanks for all your input.

Dave_Bayern said:
P-Zeros last for ever though don't they.

Thats the trade off.

I've never got more than about 11K from Goodyears or Toyos.

Yep they sure do, get loads of wear out of them!!

I have had both on the s3.
I prefer the toyo t1rs, but mine were from mytyres and hence came from Germany. Bearing in mind what I said about the jap and chinese goodyears, it may be what you get from a tyre place in UK is not what you get from the mail order in Germany!

But for me I'm pleased with them in all conditions and 350hp!