dicky indicator stalk?

moesplace

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I was last on here but you guys sorted me out with a problem on my A6...now I've got a prob with my A3...?

The indicators have just stopped working? Hazard lights work fine so I know the bulbs and flasher unit are ok. The main beam works which is on the same stalk but when I try to indicate nothing happens, left or right....any ideas...common fault?

The car is a 2003, 52 reg A3 1.9 TDI 130 Sport which I have owned and loved from new, this is its first ever fault!

Hope you can help guys, thanks in advance

the hazzard relay and indicator relay are in the same unit (they plug directly into the hazzard light switch), but are separate physical relays. Its also common for these to break.

cost for part is about £35, and is DIY'able with some swearing..

Dealer fixed mine for about £78.... as long as you tell them what the problem is, they don't charge you 3 hours "diagnostic" or "fault finding" ;)

So you think its the relay and not the stalk its self?

Anyway of checking before I go out and spend my cash?

Thanks for fast response by the way!

can't really say for sure, but when mine went, they would flash either not at all, or 3 or 4 times and then stop.

I guess you could multimeter the relay terminals to make sure they're receiving a current when the indicators are switched on?

Can I remove the hazard switch and swop the two relays?

just happened on my A6

the relay cost about £12 from vagparts

its not worth bothering swapping the relays

remove the trim surrounding the hazard switch and it pulls out easy

5 minute job.

I thought it was the stalk as well and ordered both as a precaution. Stalk was about £32.

I changed the hazard switch first, just in case and it cured it straight away

Simon

heres the link for you, bit more than mine but at £20 still a bargain

https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onea...nid=15469c683d58575/shopdata/index.shopscript

moesplace said:
Can I remove the hazard switch and swop the two relays?

yes. Getting the trim out without scratching it is the hardest part.

Thanks guys, I would have bought a stalk and wasted my money!

I'm picking up a brand new hazard switch from the main dealers tomorrow, more expensive but I need it in a hurry, still only £28 from Audi!!!

I've already removed the panel (without scratching...phewww!), the cup holder came away easy as did the esp button etc but the hazard switch seems more stuck....I'll wait untill I get the new one tomorrow and have a look at that?

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on!

What a great forum...

...my A3's indicators stopped working out of the blue and before I had a chance to ring my local garage you guys came up with the answer!

Just £28 from the main dealer, new hazard switch, and 5 mins of my time, the car is now fixed and ready to take me on holiday!

Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work!!!!