S3 Vs SCOOBY Vs CUPRA R

S3 Dave

Now running on Heavy Oil
Reaction score
OK what are your thoughts?? original comparisons favoured the Scooby for better performance but interior and ride were not good.

Cupra R is a budget S3 and was not bad just lacking Quattro. Anyone owned a scooby and an S3??
Is a chipped S3 quicker than a Works Scoob??

My personal view is not a lot in it. But cabin and status (no backwards cap) won me over hence my purchase.:icon_thumright:

havent owned a scooby although a friend has they are definatley quicker and handle better in my opinion maybe a chipped s3 will keep up but not sure whether chipped s3s are quicker,but at the end of the day an s3 looks better and feels better to drive in my opinion thats why i bought mine

A chipped S3 still won't beat a Scooby! Scooby has a bigger engine, better gearing and none of the excess weight that the S3 carries around! Sorry :(

S3 is the choice! :)

Or maybe I am wrong! :(

Depends on the scooby my old UK300 would be murdered by my S3 instandard form, especially at 125mph+ mark how ever its was company bitch car other scoobies I have been in are faster and the scooby didnt understeer as much how ever the lift of and re apply works wekll on the S3, as to the LCR these are good but would loose to the prior on the corners, the S3 is a the better balance of power comfort and handling IMHO,

i used to have a uk Scooby turbo and it did feel quicker than my S3 i think it was because it is quite raw inside and alot lighter in comparrison eg no eleccy seats etc.. Third gear of the Scooby was great though and i thought the full time 4wd made it handle nicely. My mate used to have a cupra R which was revo'd etc and it was quick but understeered as it had too much power for the fwd to cope with in my opinion.
So when i was looking for something a bit more luxury than my Scooby to upgrade to i went for the S3 cos of the quattro aspect. Am looking forward to getting the S3 remapped as i think this will make it better than my Scooby was.
I have also had a drive of the Mk3 Scooby Uk STI version which was good and its performance was great but was not sure as it still felt a bit naff inside n very plasticky the S3 just felt like it was much higher build quality. Saying that in the 3 years i had my scooby nothing mechanical went wrong with it and my S3 is already eating money with a new clutch etc...

BaBs said:
oh boy...

I know, but had to say some thing! I remember another thread about an S3 beating an M3 or mind you lets not mentioned remapped desiel! lol

Maybe I should go :(

I have owned a couple of Impreza's prior to my current S3 and can therfore give opinions on both.
Starting with body work; Impreza panels are very light and flimsy with very poor paint by which i mean it chips very easily.
The S3 however is very solid and doors close with a clunk.

Interior; Impreza very cheap plastic and basic looking instruments, good fromt seats though. S3, higher quality finish and no squeaks unlike Impreza's.

Performance; My last Impreza (STI PPP 305bhp) would destroy the S3 through all acceleration ranges (0-60, 0-100 etc).
S3 quick but no tarmac scorcher.

Overall though i prefer the S3 as it offers more good points akin to everyday driving, its cheaper to run, 30mpg as oppose to 20 in the Impreza, a third of the cost to insure and i can leave the S3 almost anywhere without worry. With the Impreza i had to be very particular where i left it as they stand out like a sore thumb for thieving scum to spot. One last point, S3's hold their values far better then Subaru's.

So, would i buy another Impreza.......NO.

Nik.

Jampublic said:
I know, but had to say some thing! I remember another thread about an S3 beating an M3 or mind you lets not mentioned remapped desiel! lol

Maybe I should go :(

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

There are soooooo many variants of Scoobys now.. But a standard WRX (Classic shape) will be seen off by a remapped LCR/S3 that's for sure..
Standard for standard not a great deal in it really.. The later ones are slower though (Bugeye etc)

Here's one I beat earlier... :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HOtu_vkAZmw

if you want speed and cornering then the scooby is the way to go, imports are even quicker than uk spec and have stronger engines too. If you want comfort and mod cons then the S3 is the way to go. I wouldnt say the LCR is a cheaper option than the S3 cos there selling around the same price as S3. From comments i've read about the LCR there interiors arnt as nice but there more practicle being 5 door and there brakes are better but then for £500 -£800 you can get them for the S3

chipped s3 no where as fast as a scooby.
mines on revo trial (265)which is rapid at 3000, but my 280bhp scooby was more rapid from 1500.
S3 is nicer car to live with but depends what you want. You can spend bit more on s3 to make it even faster but it will never beat scooby

Just to add, I had an LCR for 2 1/2 years before the A3 and it was the best car I've had.
It does have it's faults like the low rent interior, soft suspension and only 2 wheel drive.
But unlike a lot of cars, it had character and was very easy to mod.
I find the A3 a little bland to drive in comparison, but maybe that's down to the DSG box

i also had a LCR for a while , missing it now , as the s3 doesnt feel half as quick as the leon , and the s3 is chipped and had a lot more work done to it , i think the front wheel drive makes the leon a lot more fun , as the quattro on the s3 slows it down quite a lot as well as the heavy recaro electric seats , it took 2 people to take one of them out of my old s3 , im selling the s3 now as i am going to buy the lcr back of my old man ,

Don't blame you at all, they really are fantastic value for money and I would certainly consider going back to one.
I think Seat really missed the mark with the new Cupra as styling is as big a factor in making a car desirable as to how it drives IMO and for that reason alone I chose not to get one.

I own an S3 and did own an Impreza(260bhp) - to be honest my Scoob felt much faster and was bucket loads more rewarding to drive! If I was purely performance focussed, Id buy the scoob everytime - as it is I went for the S3 because I wanted leather, aircon, civilized motoring.........as it is Im in the process of buying an M3 because I want both and the S3 just doesnt do it for me.

I have a 2002 top gear mag and they compare a LCR (210), S3 (225), bug eyed Subaru (stock 215), BMW 325 compact, CTR and Focus RS and as an S3 owner, it's embarrassing...it was saved by the BMW! Round a very short track (RS did it in 54 secs) it was a second slower than the Impreza, 0.8 seconds slower than the LCR and there's no need to ask which car was quickest...

The S3 ticks a lot of boxes but quick it isn't!!

jojo said:
Which is why a remap is amongst one of the first things you should do, brings the competition back in line. :racer:

Still doesn't make it a driver's tool though so what's the point? Let's be honest, the S3 is a good tool for getting from A to B at a reasonible pace but if you want driving pleasure, why waste your money?

Hotscar said:
Still doesn't make it a driver's tool though so what's the point? Let's be honest, the S3 is a good tool for getting from A to B at a reasonible pace but if you want driving pleasure, why waste your money?

I agree, an S3 isn't really a driver's choice, there are plenty of better options for the same money.
I personally found the remap to be a bargain for the in gear performance gains, still enjoy it now, after four years, but only because I use mine as a weekend car. Next car would have to have over 300BHP and a bit of steering feel though...