audi s3 flywheel help asap please

stus32007

Reaction score
my s3 is in the garage haveing a stage 1 clutch fitted , hes got the box out and the flywheel has bad burn marks on so i am gonna replace it. the only problem is i need one tommorow and in the algarve at the moment till tommorow nite . do you know were i can get a new or used one in the manchester area tryed euro and they are out of stock

its a amk engine code my mate has a tt quattro flywheel but it the 180 bhp this wont fit will it

any help would be great as i am in my hotel on the net trying to sort one

cheers guys

Did you find a replacement dual mass flywheel??

If so where from as i may well need to replace mine on next week when it goes in to get the clutch replaced.

Anyone else know where to get a LUK dual mass flywheel from in the uk cheapish??

GSF sell them relatively cheap. I paid £400 for clutch, Slave cylinder and flywheel.

just had a look on the GSF website and i cannot see any listing for an S3 dual mass flywheel they only list the A3 and the TT

Dave_Bayern said:
Thats a good price, Audi charge £600 for the Dual Mass Flywheel...

Tell me about it. VW in Halifax were going to charge me £1300 for supply and fitting of a new flywheel!

ok am being dumb now can anyone tell me what the actual part number of the flywheel is?? i would look for the engine code not i'm not 100% sure which mine is.

Go out to the car, look on the left hand side to the top left of the front plastic engine cover, your engine code is stamped there...

Ahh did not realise it was that simple will do that when the rain stops coming down cheers dave

Spotted my engine code now and i have an APY. Still can't find the flywheel for it though :search:

Thanks Steve that looks like a very useful website. I have been looking on there for the flywheel part number and can find the clutch and related parts but no sign of the flywheel.

Oh well the car goes in 2moro so fingers crossed i don't need to replace the flywheel.

Damn it the flywheel has got to be replaced as it has alot of play in it and makes a clicking noise :( Still would rather bite the bullet now and replace it than leave it and have to go thru the whole thing again later.

I'm gonna have a large bill by this weekend i can tell!!

can anyone tell me how I will know if my flywheel will need replaced.

I have never dealt with DM flywheels before, and before commiting my car to the ramp on fri evening I want to know how I will know if the flywheel needs replaced or not.

I have a clutch kit and release bearing sitting ready to be fitted.. but may need to order up a DMF before commencing

i was told by others that you get vibration during idle, which i assume is the Flywheel being out of balance. The guys at the place i am getting my clutch etc done said its easiest to tell when you have the car apart replacing the clutch. This would seem to be true as i had no vibration in my S3 but when they took it apart they have found it needs replacing. My advice (and i'm no expert) would be to find out where you can get a DMF from asap and the let them start to replace the clutch and then if necessary get the flywheel ordered when you find out if your current DMF is knackered or not.

I was planning on getting the car remapped too but this lot is costing quite alot so won't be getting remapped for a bit. But would rather the car was in tip top condition before getting the remap.

I will be changing it myself.. friend is a mechanic and owns his own business.. so I can borrow his keys on a friday evening and get the car stripped down.. then early sat morning start to build the car back up again.

will just get him to get me one on account, if i dont use it its easy for him to return it.

what i want to know is, how by looking at it will i tell if its goosed.

Supposedly it get scoring marks on it from where the clutch gets very hot when it slips. I'm not a mechanic though so i am only going by what others have mentioned. if you can get hold of a new one anyway you should be able to compare once you have the car apart.

Still i would get a second opinion as i am pretty new to all this too.

cheers :)

most flywheels I have seen have had a few blue/purple marks on it.

will order one up anyway just incase I decide to fit it :)

Just got told by the garage doing the work on my car the LUK have screwed up and put the wrong flywheels in the box (the flywheels for the S3 are 6 bolt and they have sent out 10 bolt) So i would make sure before you take the car apart that you have the right one. I have just had to pay out £350 exc VAT to VW for another flywheel as this is the only one they could source.

If anyone knows where i can get one for 2moro in Southampton (or delivered here) for less than the vw part please let me know asap.

Got the Car back now and the clutch feels so much lighter than before i had it replaced!! got the gearbox oil changed too and the change from first to second is much smoother. Goddamn flywheel hurt my wallet alot though as had to bite the bullet and pay £400 as could only get one from VW stealers. Still its all done now and i got the cambelt replaced so fingers crossed no more big expensive jobs for me for a while.