Pimp my grill!

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've decided I want to take out the standard Audi grill from my front bumper and mesh it with black mesh. Does anyone here know what's involved? I think I heard somewhere that I have to take the whole bumper off - is this true? If so then where abouts does it unscrew? It's the 8L Chassis.

Cheers!
-Andy.

Umm well I want to do this, so rather than telling me not to, can someone just tell me how I'd go about doing this please? :icon_thumright:

Open bonnet, pop out the middle of those 4 funny looking fasteners and then remove fasteners.

Remove the bumper side screws on the wheel arch liners.

Remove the two screws underneath the bumper.

Pull bumper off.

The old grille fits via clips, you will see this when the bumper comes off.

Proceed and make your grille look cack.

Cheers, I can see the screws on the side of the bumper (where the arches are) but where abouts are the screws under the bumper?

Where the two slightly recessed square areas are, about 6" underneath the car...

mattyboy199 said:
It will look **** leave it alone ***

harsh, but sound advice.

unless you have the machine tools to do a 110% professional job with bending and detailing a new grille, its gonna look gash.

There was a guy who put a mesh grill on his A3.

Everyone slated it and he left in a huff.

Everyone slated it not because we are anal perfectionists but because...yep...you guessed it...

It looked total *****.

Oh, it wasnt the quality of his work and was purely and simply that it looked awful. The A3/S3 is a hard car to restyle, Audi spent millions on design to achieve the subtle and understated elegance that it is.

Yes I remember that but it only looked odd because the mesh was really shiney silver. Would look ok if it was black methinks.

I think VW's carry off that well, but not the Audis. Personal preference anyway, people can do whatever they like to their own cars.

Don't forget washer jets pipes clipped to the inside of the bumper! ;)

Next thing you will wana do is put the neon jet washers on.... sum flashy neons under the car.... a big 3" jap exhaust (the universal type that rattles all the time)......then a sun strip that says chavy c**t on it before you head down too maccy d's car park! moral of the comment.....

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:motz:

bouncer--daz said:
Next thing you will wana do is put the neon jet washers on.... sum flashy neons under the car.... a big 3" jap exhaust (the universal type that rattles all the time)......then a sun strip that says chavy c**t on it before you head down too maccy d's car park! moral of the comment.....

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:motz:

Neon Jet Washers and Undercar Neons are too Tacky for my liking

Single big round pipes don't suit the A3 very well which is why I have a more stylish oval pipe on the back of mine.

I do have a sunstrip but I made a point in getting a plain black one, I don't think it's chavy really and has a few uses...

1. It helps keep the sun out of your eyes (well duh) :)
2. It keeps the car a little bit cooler
3. It makes the inside of your car darker (makes it look like your tints are darker than they actually are).
4. It covers the horrible green tint at the top of my windscreen where Autoglass messed up and got me the wrong colour :gun2:

I dont think you grasp the concept of sarcasm.... basically... DONT do any of those things I suggested too an audi!

fingermouse said:
1. It helps keep the sun out of your eyes (well duh)

Isnt that what the sun visors are for ??????????

Yeah but sun visors don't stretch the entire length of the window and it's annoying when you're going around bends and you get flashes of light in your eyes :S

BTW yes I do grasp sarcasm (I am British afterall) - who's to say what mods I can and can't do with my own car? :eiertritt:

Dude, your car, your money. It might look like ***** but do whatever you want to it. Personally, I couldnt give a tiny rats *** but look out for some slating if you come on here :icon_thumright:

This doesn't look too bad, not my cup of team I must admit but if you want to do it then go ahead, its your car!!!

dantheman1986 said:
ha ha cant wait to see this, bet its gona look great!! or not!!

Thanks for your constructive comment Dan - really contributed something to the conversation... 'or not!!' :applaus:

:think: everyone has slated the mesh grille look but doesnt the RS range have mesh style grilles and yet they are ok ? I personally think the mesh would look better than the original... go for it fella.....

If you put the four rings back on, then I think the mesh grills look ok.

I'm not a fan of just the mesh, and I think the A3 looks a bit 'undressed' without the four rings, but hey, it's your car, and if you like that look, then go for it!! :icon_thumright:

As long as you keep the rings on and replacement grill is black like the ones that DPM sells it will look fine.

Big over reaction from most posters on this thread IMO

I say keep your old grille just in-case and give it a try at the end of the day its your car.
Give the meshing a go and if you don’t like it you can always stick your old grille back on.
I have a de-badged Slat grill not to every-one’s taste but hey I like it!

Jason

Dubplate said:
:think: everyone has slated the mesh grille look but doesnt the RS range have mesh style grilles and yet they are ok ? I personally think the mesh would look better than the original... go for it fella.....

RS's have a honeycomb grille, not quite the same.

The problem with the sheet mesh approach is that it's not deep enough. The OEM grilles, be it slatted or honeycomb, are quite deep and are in keeping with the stock chunky, solid and purposeful look of the car. For me, thats the whole appeal.

Aftermarket mesh grilles tend to look a bit flimsy though, so look really out of place. I'd be interested to see how (and if), with a bit of crafting and painting, you could make it look better than stock.

Good luck, you'll get some respect if you pull it off.

post pics please when its done, interested to see the outcome :)

i think it could look ok. but it also depends on what else you have done to the car..

why don't you just paint the grill black. that looks quite cool. well i did that :D

Yep like to see the outcome of this too. At the end of the day how do you know properly what it looks like with out having a go.

Avoid damaging the existing grill and you can always pop it back in if your not happy.

Yup, sure will - running a bit low on funds for about 10 days (then I get paid). Will have to wait until then :crying:

Ive seen this done a few times and actually look good on the car, but also a few times it looked bad and have even done it to a previous car myself.

I had a open grill on my old renault five gt turbo with black mesh, on a pearl white car it looked good, and you could see the intercooler better. It even got a magazine feature or two so arguably couldnt of looked too bad.

Your car is your car, you have to drive it and enjoy it? maybe a black mesh grill with some black alloys would look cool?

Im contemplating getting the chrome bit on the grill sprayed black, becuase imo its a bit grandad spec.

good luck with your grill and defo post the pics...

Dave_Bayern said:
Open bonnet, pop out the middle of those 4 funny looking fasteners and then remove fasteners.

Remove the bumper side screws on the wheel arch liners.

Remove the two screws underneath the bumper.

Pull bumper off.

The old grille fits via clips, you will see this when the bumper comes off.

Proceed and make your grille look cack.

Fitting this grille today - which bits are the fasteners? :S