Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

does facelift climate control have same wiring as the preface lift climate control

Just wondering if it is possible to update the pre-facelift centre dash to the facelift centre dash in the S3

I have a preface lift car, and thinking of upgrading to facelift dash, wondering how viable this job is to do?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    In a word.

No.

There is someone on here who has tried, if you do s search you will find their pleas for help with regards this. Mostly unanswered.

Thought about the same thing myself, and ruled it out as a lot of money and effort to get stuck with incompatible wiring.

2nd Gear

Status
    thanks, as I said just a thought at this stage, no point in getting a load of butchered wiring just to make it work

1st Gear

Status
    In the most part, yes, however; you need to ensure the unit is from a car without CAN, as these units use CAN to let the ECU know the A/C compressor is active. CAN units will plug in and work, but the ECU will be unable to compensate for the cycling A/C pump and engine revs will fall as the pump is cycled.

I had a 1995 A4 with no air con and manual heater controls, to which I retrofitted air conditioning and climate control. I used a 1998 loom (same as the pre-facelift S3) so it was compatible with my non-CAN setup, but used 1999 climate controls as I was upgrading the dashboard to a facelift look with symphony 1 double DIN.

To get a facelift HVAC unit working with an old loom you will need to swap over a few of the pins. This was a few years ago now, to my memory the illumination pins needed adjustment, there was something else too but I just cant remember without checking the wiring diagrams.