Problem!

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
just as it was all going ok, i went over one of those small but high speed bumps. went over real slow and came down with a bang. Then it sounded like something was rubbing. looked under for anything hanging off but nothing then i thought it was a wheel rubbing but no. the rubbing sound goes with the cars speed. managed to get it home and jacked it up. got the wheel off and it looks like the drive shaft ( rod going to wheel !) is trashed. there was a bit of rubber hanging off. also the scraping noise happens when i turn the brake disc but sounds like it is coming from just behind the front passenger side wheel. only makes the sound when the disc makes a full rotation. it's like the prop or something has lost loads of oil? going to call ed (APS) in the morning see if they can come pick it up! Not happy!

Thanks mate. Spoken to Aps it's going there Monday. Was quoted £250 to transport it there but wangled it with the AA to do it for free! Apparently Aps have got a few drive shafts anyway do ill let them sort it out!

Drive shafts brand new will cost ya below £100 anyway and apparently they are an easy part too replace... mechanic friend of mine said he does them in about 20min so maybe an hour too a first timer? had a look at mine while under the car last. think mines got a slight bit of play on the passenger side. Going to pick up a 2nd had one off a breaker and fit it myself if it gets any worse. Hope you get it sorted though mate

yea it has been lowered but not loads, a pic

DSCN0015.jpg

11072007090.jpg

where are you located im also in reading havent seen this car around before

That looks quite a lot.

How many fingers can you fit above the wheel before you hit the arch?

Approx 2 is the maximum you can lower without having driveshaft and sump related problems really.

Dave_Bayern said:
That looks quite a lot.

How many fingers can you fit above the wheel before you hit the arch?

Approx 2 is the maximum you can lower without having driveshaft and sump related problems really.

just checked 2 is a squeeze!

Just move it up a TINY bit once you've had the driveshaft fixed them. I've had mine lowered by that much for over a year and not one single problem so far...

not 100% sure, but all the rubber is hanging off the drive shaft inner gater. the scraping noise is behind the passanger front wheel not in the arch. and only makes a scraping noise when it does a full rotation!

danotto said:
where are you located im also in reading havent seen this car around before

Oh Ed has been spotted a good couple times! :)

hmmm, I reckon you may have clouted the miltek centre box and its catching the propshaft....? I cannot see a cv joint dying in such a way, (they just go! ).I suppose if you can see damage then maybe it is the joint but the miltek clearance ot the prop can be tight, hence I took mine off and ran the unsilenced centre pipe!

Good luck Ed, let me knwo when you come pick the beasty up, I'll pop down and say hello if I can!

A little off topic i know, but what percentage tints have you on the imola??
Thanks

they are light smoke from pentagon glass! it's been droped off to APS today! working on it now! gonna give them a call in a minute! Got the AA to take th car for free! result!

Spoke to Ed, the problem was a cv boot?! going to be replaced in the morning! the scraping was just the prop on a heat shield so no problems there! should be all back together tomorrow!

ahh not soo bad.. a universal Cv boot only costs around £5 1 hours labour.. job done