S3 Advice Please

seb_s3

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I joined yesterday and I'm currently thinking about buying an S3.

I currently own a Clio 172 and have been thinking about getting an S3 for a while but wanted to get some advice from you guys about the cars.

Basically I'd probably be looking at spending around £9K on one so from what I can tell I'd probably be getting a 2000 model with 75K+ miles. I do roughly 1200 miles a month so it would soon rack up over 100K. How reliable are the cars at high mileage and how long would you expect it to last? Also, is there anything specific I should check for when buying?

Cheers!

My 2 penneth...

Ultimately very reliable but can suffer from a few niggly issues. Treated with respect and tlc they will happily eat up the miles and still be going strong at 200k. Remember the main body has a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty.

Dont expect them to handle like a clio out of the box though. In standard form they are lardy FBs.

If you want a daily driver that's approaching the fun of a clio then look at shocks, springs, anti roll bars, remap and uprating the brakes. Ultimately though they are still a heavy car and will never be as nimble as a clio but you will have a quality solid car that will still feel solid and well built at 200k. The toys and interior will still garner appreciation in a few years time as well.