What do you like about your A3/S3?

god_thats_quick said:
I like the fact everyone assumes the S3 isn't very quick - even in a lairy colour like mine... that once moving I have the confidence in the car to push hard enough to keep up with MUCH quicker cars on paper over our roads.

I also like the fact it's the only car I've been in where I am comfortable for a very long journey, guess that explains how I've ended up doing 75,000+ miles while owning it.

All this ******** about needing a remap / sorting the suspension is all well and good, but it's not a bad car in standard 210 guise and I've left a tuned CTR for dead in real life recently.

Couldn't of put it better myself, Im happy with the performance without the remap but am still considering getting it

theitalian3 said:
- i like the fact that im quite young, most people my age are driving around in saxo's and clio's and iv got the audi

- i love the side on view

- i love its subtlty

- and most of all i like the fact thats its fast
:thumbsup:

not to mention

- class

- comfort

- build quality

- interior

- effortless cruiser on long journeys but immense fun on the country roads

- complete confidence in it because i know it's planted (except for last night, driving onto loose chippings at 60 = sideways fun :blush:)

- so many more, love it loads, best car ever owned

drew

I like 20v engines and.... erm...erm.... the interior :)

i dont like...

the handling
the standard performance
the perceived image of them over my way (drug dealer bus)

thankfully the top two can be sorted the last cant :(

fact of the matter as a good friend tom so aptly put its a fast luxury hatch not out and out performance hatch

For me, it's the overall 'package'.
The quality build, enjoyable interior, good looks, performance (especially in the wet) etc.

There are other cars that offer better performance, handling, more toys etc but not necessarily in one package and for a good price (2nd hand).

That's what I think anyway :o.k:

S3MHT said:
Couldn't of put it better myself, Im happy with the performance without the remap but am still considering getting it

I was happy with the performance too until I got it remapped and fettled with the rest. Now a lot happier - faster, handles better, stops quicker, more smiles per mile. But very costly and I can understand why someone would leave their cars standard. Just don't start, cause you won't stop.

Plus points

1) The looks, when polished up (black with ali mirrors), there's no car for the money that I'd rather own.
2) The interior (half leather/silver alcantara), BOSE etc, excellent place to be and so much better than any Subaru/Type R/Cupra R in my humble opinion.
3) The power/grip/fuel consumption (with a remap).
4) The residuals (although they have taken a bit of a fall of late).
5) The image. Call me superficial and shallow, but not too many Chav types own them (although ultimately in time this will happen which is a shame).
6) The ability on sweeping A roads to make great (ahem)......progress.

Negative Points

1) The stealers
2) The Cambelt/Water pump issues
3) The standard brakes
4) The fact that my wifes 2002 MX5 is a better handling car.

All this is just my humble opinion and based on having driven a lot of fast well sorted machinery. Still miss my Golf Mk3 16v Anniversary with sports handling kit.....

At the time like a few people I was considering Type R's, Cupra R's, WRX's and 330ci's. Still feel I made the right choice. The S3 is by no means the best, just the best package for my needs. Does what is says on the tin I suppose!!
:salute:

StaffsS3 said:
fullTVC020904202717PIC.jpg

I love the shiny emblem & outer ring on my (facelift) steering wheel :racer:

I love the fact that mine goes like the absolute clappers! There aint a lot that can keep up out there! Nice interior, subtle and classy.

I dont lioke only one cup holder, and the pitifully small boot! Also would prefer the blue illumination of the clocks etc like on golfs, (very calming!)

Love: -

Classy

Look of the car

The heated seats

The power

Hate: -

The uncomfy seats not nice for long drives

Hate that everything for them is so ****** expensive.

silver75 said:
:think: wheres ess_three

Oh, I'm here...just chuckling away...

Despite what some think, I loved my S3. It was a brilliant car...especially when fully sorted. It looked good, was quick, handled brilliently, braked superbly, was fantastically put together...but was dull to drive.

Very capable...but dull.

Despite that, I regret selling it as it was effortlessly quick.

Personally, I don't think an S3 can be called fast.
It's not. Quick...OK...but not fast.
Drive a fast car and you'll know what fast is. And an S3 isn't it.

The standard S3 is a fine car for everyday driving...but for really pressing on the handling is verging on dangerous. The chassis is numb and unresponsive.
It handles OK at best...but with a bit of work it can be brilliant.
Standard...it's not a good handling car and anyone who thinks it is obviously hasn't driven proper handling cars.

The brakes are weak...but I never thought they were all that bad...sure the Brembos take things to a new level, but chance the standard pads and make big improvements.

Overall I really liked my S3...I wish I'd kept it.
Great though it was...even when fully sorted it wasn't properly 'fast'.
...and standard the handling is awful!

i love the black/white suede interior,and the arches most,and i think it is a quick car,when we are talkin fast what cars are we talkin about...ferraris or skylines etc:blackrs4:

My S3 is not as quick as my old M3 (E36) but think its quick enough, i find the standard brakes very good so far, handling is ok, good grip but still not the sort of car you can throw around so could be better.

As said already its no supercar but i think its a good all round package for the money.

I was after either an S3 or Civic type R, knew the civic would be more reliable and probably handle better but went for the S3 in the end as Civic type R's are quite common and also i thought if i get bored or the performance then the S3 is cheaper and easier to improve.

Kiteyboy said:
I'm with campbell.....I love my silver interior.....oh yeah....and the tyres

ha ha lol i totally agree, i think you may have a tyre fetish too like others on here !

I don't see how the standard brakes are rubbish, mine work fine. Could be better but they do stop the lardy ****** pretty quick when you want to.

Handling definatly could be improved but there is loads of things I love about mine.

to be honest i think my brakes are decent too ,they have saved my balls a few times, could be better as everything in life but if your happy why change them IMO

I still want some LCR front brakes, but standard are more than adequate if you ask me.

Theres a whole load of people satisfied with woefully inadequate here!

Do you lot also have fat girlfriends?

As in, she does the job, but you've no experience of the size 4 model variety, thus you don't see the benefit over your size 14 current one.

The S3 brakes are cack, but they can be massively improved with the right discs and pads.

I'd even go so far as to say that Black Diamond grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads are as good as standard LCR/Brembo.

Dave_Bayern said:
Theres a whole load of people satisfied with woefully inadequate here!

Do you lot also have fat girlfriends?

As in, she does the job, but you've no experience of the size 4 model variety, thus you don't see the benefit over your size 14 current one.

The S3 brakes are cack, but they can be massively improved with the right discs and pads.

I'd even go so far as to say that Black Diamond grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads are as good as standard LCR/Brembo.

Now Now Dave, what have I told you about your S3 envy?!! :p

So they are'nt cack then are they, they just could be better. Same as most things in life.

And my girlfriend is just right thanks, i'd never settle for adequate on that front.

i dont think daves got S3 envy really......

give it a month and he will be pulling away from mapped S3's no trouble.....

god im going to start a row with that comment :p

i love my audi, i accept its not an amazing car, but amoungst all my friends, its the best, theyre all in 306's and saxos, so it does make me feel good, even if in the real world its not all that.....

sinse mapped, its reasonably nippy, and gets me comfortable from a-b with minimal fuss, its a VERY comfortable place to be, and coving 400 miles a week, it needs to be.

i could have gone for the tdi, but after comming from my mini, i just couldnt face the idea of total everydayness......

i like the fact that my A3 can still spin up the wheels when it comes on boost..... it makes it a bit less dull.

REALLY looking forward to seeing how she rides on coilovers and H&R arbs in a few months time.....

joe6886 said:
So they are'nt cack then are they, they just could be better. Same as most things in life.

I think they do justify being called cack.

The pads overheat with spirited road driving and the discs don't get any cooling air.

Remove the splash shields from the insides and fit some better pads and they are fine...I ran with standard callipers, grooved standard discs, EBC pads and no splash guards for long enough...and they were fine for aggressive road use...if you could live with the spongy pedal.

But Brembos are much better all round.

Either way, standard (I mean standard pads...the lot) they are very, very poor for a heavy car with the potential for going swiftly.

Dave_Bayern said:

Steady on Dave...
I tried Black Diamond grooved discs and some bespoke Mintex Racing (F4Rs I think...more aggressive than the DS2500s) pads and they still weren't up to the standard of the Brembo kit.

The 4 pot kit is just better all round...you simply can't match it with those silly sliding calliper things fitted standard.

I love the look of the car and the fact its got all the mod cons that i wanted in the car.

The down side is its boring.

I use to have a mk1 golf gti, and all i wnated to do was keep spending money on it. I thought whats the point of spending all this money so ended up getting a car that wouldnt need me to mod it as it would have the complete package from standard.

Now i miss having my mk1 golf and the fun of woriking on it and driving it. Dont think i could use it as a daily driver again as im to use to the comfort of the S3.