Chris NottVolks Autos

View Poll Results: how many points you got??

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 12 points!!!!

    2 4.65%
  • 9 points!!!

    7 16.28%
  • 6 points!!

    2 4.65%
  • 3 points!

    32 74.42%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 165
  1. #41
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn
    sorry if my post came across as very 'boy racer'
    ...
    ^^^ Rest of post as above ^^^
    Given the situation I suppose thats fair enough I guess but I still think there's no absolute way of really knowing you would get away... It would only take a lost sheep/cow or a drunken local on a push bike or something equally as daft and the plan of evasion could go very wrong.

    Nice to see you didn't take my comments personally, they weren't meant to be, I was only pointing out why I think that ideology is flawed.

    Or maybe I'm just jealous 'cuz with my sort of luck I'd think "Yeah, I can get away with this" and then end up with a great big bloody cow in the middle of the road foiling my plans!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn
    i dont actually feel the need to drive the audi as fast as the mini
    I believe you...

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    There's no option for "none" because no ones interested in what people haven't got.
    The question wasn't "Besides those who have none, how many points have you got?", the question was "How many points have you got?" and as "none" is a valid response to this question it should have been available as an option.

    Besides, I'm interested, so there goes your assumption that no-one is.

  4. #43
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    You're interested in people with no points?
    That's up there with "accidents I didn't have" and "girls I've never shagged" - fascinating stuff. The long winter evenings must just fly by!

  5. #44
    silver75's Avatar
    Big Ron

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    at work
    Posts
    3,243
    ^^^lol

    Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

  6. #45
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades
    ... It would only take a lost sheep/cow or a drunken local on a push bike or something equally as daft and the plan of evasion could go very wrong.
    That can happen any day, any time you are driving. You are making the assumption that just because one would be driving faster the level of concentration, anticipation and observation would deteriorate. For me it's the complete opposite as I'm sure it is with anyone else who takes their driving seriously.

  7. #46
    Katy_S3's Avatar
    Goodwood Green Baby

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    None for 10 years, then 6 points in one go in February of this year.

    @Katy, I was just wondering, how does 13 points effect your insurance premium, and whats the response of the person taking your details down?
    I pay 1450 quid which i dont think is too bad for 13 points...........my mate works at the insurance company so that hekps!!

  8. #47
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    I don't envy you Katy, I was on 12 points a few years ago (court appearance, pleaded my case etc etc and they let me keep my licence). I managed another 12 months of driving like a granny, but innevitably got done again by unmarked car VASCAR on the M3. This time they threw the book at me and I got a 12 month ban. In hindsight I would have been better taking a shorter ban the first time round.

  9. #48
    StaffsS3's Avatar
    Flat Out

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades
    What a stupid attitude! Its this kind of sh*te that puts the rest of us in danger! What happens if someone, while driving like a tw*t to get away from the police, has an accident and hurts or, god forbid, kills someone? They'd be in far, far less **** if they just pulled over accepted what was coming and therefore not recklessly endanger other peoples lives simply because they didn't want a few points and a fine!

    There is absolutely, totally and utterly no way of "knowing" you can get away!

    There's a black one that prowls up and down the A50 in Stoke/Longton. Saw it tonight again, there had been an accident in/near the Meir tunnel and it was stopping traffic from joining the A50.
    Totally agree. Have to say it's not the smartest thing to brag on a public forum, when
    a) You have driven like dick
    b) You don't know who is looking on this site or what the members do for a living!!

    In answer to the thread I have 3.......But so it seems does the rest of the world (including my Mum!!)
    "We don't do these things to escape life, but to stop life escaping us"

  10. #49
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy_S3
    I pay 1450 quid which i dont think is too bad for 13 points...........my mate works at the insurance company so that hekps!!
    lol, you are just too connected Kate, must be all the winks and lip pouting.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  11. #50
    MikeS4's Avatar
    MikeS4

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    155
    Picked up 3 points a while back doing 45 in a 30 zone. Just renewed my insurance recently & they wanted to increase the premium by 150.....just for 3points!
    mikeS4

  12. #51
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy_S3
    I pay 1450 quid which i dont think is too bad for 13 points...........my mate works at the insurance company so that hekps!!
    1450 is very good. i pay 850 with 0 points.
    I used to have a scooby a few years ago which was 3600

  13. #52
    dummi's Avatar
    smoking a6

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    brumingham
    Posts
    1,188
    3 so far, i use cruise control a lot to keep my speed regulated or i wreckon could make up the other 9 in a day haha
    just a little a6

  14. #53
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    3 points will not increase your premium. If they try it on, then it's definately time to change insurers. I had 9 points until recently and my premiums never went up.
    They only go up for anything worse than fixed penalty SP50's i.e. 6 points in one hit or a mandatory court appearance like Katy's

  15. #54
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by mwstewart
    That can happen any day, any time you are driving. You are making the assumption that just because one would be driving faster the level of concentration, anticipation and observation would deteriorate. For me it's the complete opposite as I'm sure it is with anyone else who takes their driving seriously.
    Assumption? Where? Learn English and re-read!

    Yes, you are right, it can happen any day, any time you are driving. But no matter how much you THINK your skillz improve with increased speed and no matter what machine you have strapped yourself in/on you can never, ever, ever account for whats around the next bend. Why increase the risk of something serious happening just to evade a few points? Or would you rather possibly have to, one day, stand up in court and explain why you came flying round a bend and made little Johnny Smith an orphan because you didn't want the points/fine/ban from a speeding offence you commited earlier?

    Granted you could have the same accident on any day, even driving within the realms of the law and without the influence of evading points/fine/ban but that is all it then would be; an unfortunate, regrettable accident.

    I know which one I would rather have on my conscience.

  16. #55
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    You're interested in people with no points?
    That's up there with "accidents I didn't have" and "girls I've never shagged" - fascinating stuff. The long winter evenings must just fly by!
    Yes, I am... do you have a problem with that? What gives you the right to decide what is and isn't interesting and then take the p*ss? I find the information interesting and useful because it gives an indication of who, taking the content/tone of posts into consideration also, rightly deserve to have no points, and therefore get respect, and the pr*cks that wear their points with pride in the same way as a chav/pikey would an ASBO!

    I'm not talking about those (or their mothers) that once got points/fined for clocking up 40 in a 30 zone but those that consistantly clock up points, ***** about the fact they got caught breaking the law, continue to do so and then declare their points like a badge of honour on a website.

  17. #56
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    520
    StaffS3 shouldnt be speeding without those blue lights

    Interesting story from the previous page I enjoyed it! Personally most police officers are great when you get pulled over and as long as you remain polite alot of the time will let you off, unless its something very dangerous, in which case you should be pulled up for it anyway! I was even asked if I ever thought of being a police officer after being involved in an accident and sitting in the back of the cop car!

  18. #57
    chrisnic0's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    38
    None also! But i do hibitually speed. But in the right places if that makes sense.
    Never through town etc. Been driving 7 years tho.
    Also my dad been driving 35 years and go no points and hes never late

  19. #58
    jcb
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,070
    I have none and intend to keep it that way.
    Fighting a f'ing speed camera at the moment, submitted the standard PACE statement hoping that the European Court of Human Sh1tes would see sense and uphold the appeal to the failure in the justice system for self incrimination.....but no, aparently motorists have less rights than rapist and robbers.

    I am hoping now that the court system is so pants that they will miss there statutory deadline for presentation (6 months from the offence)....20 days and counting!!

    If that fails then I will play dumb, plead like hell and take the points and pay the tax. worse case scenario I have delayed the points being on my license for 6 months and my recent insurance renewal!

    if everybody let the fines go to court the system would collapse! they are counting on ignorance and apathy. Its my car, its my money, I already pay through the nose to use it on your cr@ppy roads....if I happen to be doing 36mph in a 30 zone what give the government the right to tax me more?!
    6mph! hardly armed robbery or paedophilia is it!?

  20. #59
    Katy_S3's Avatar
    Goodwood Green Baby

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades
    Yes, I am... do you have a problem with that? What gives you the right to decide what is and isn't interesting and then take the p*ss? I find the information interesting and useful because it gives an indication of who, taking the content/tone of posts into consideration also, rightly deserve to have no points, and therefore get respect, and the pr*cks that wear their points with pride in the same way as a chav/pikey would an ASBO!

    I'm not talking about those (or their mothers) that once got points/fined for clocking up 40 in a 30 zone but those that consistantly clock up points, ***** about the fact they got caught breaking the law, continue to do so and then declare their points like a badge of honour on a website.
    Who crawled up your arse and died?

    Your attitude stinks who appointed you chief police officer of this forum, people do not come on here for a lecture.......and before you start with the high and mighty you dont know what i do for a living either!!

    Are you referring to me as a prick/pikey/chav??

    My 13 points are not a claim to fame i have paid dearly for them

    a) i had to put my career in the police on hold for 3 yrs
    b) my insurance is sky high
    c) i cannot risk getting caught again so therefore my driving is also effected

    I do not think i'm cool as **** for getting these points however i do laugh at the fact im 23 and mangaed to get caught so many times, i'd say im def no good at covert operations!!

    So take your name calling back to the playground, this is a discussion not an oppurtunity for you to start hurling abuse.
    Last edited by Katy_S3; 12th July 2007 at 15:34.

  21. #60
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,836
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb
    Its my car, its my money, I already pay through the nose to use it on your cr@ppy roads....if I happen to be doing 36mph in a 30 zone what give the government the right to tax me more?!
    6mph! hardly armed robbery or paedophilia is it!?
    I'm sorry to say, but speeding, is speeding!. Wether it's 31 in a 30 or 59 in a 30, you was speeding, not armed robbery or paedophilia I agree, but it's breaking the law, and I'm sure we all do it on a regular basis. If you get caught, own up to it, it's not the end of the world.
    How are you taxed more for having payed a fine or getting points on your licence?

    Each to their own I guess...


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  22. #61
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Oh goody, its been a while since I've had one of these


    Quote Originally Posted by Katy_S3
    Who crawled up your arse and died?
    Good comeback... Oh, sorry, no it wasn't! Nicely out of context too!


    Quote Originally Posted by Katy_S3
    Your attitude stinks who appointed you chief police officer of this forum, people do not come on here for a lecture.......and before you start with the high and mighty you dont know what i do for a living either!!
    Chief Police officer? By God woman what are you going on about? To whom did I lecture? I couldn't give a flying f*ck what you do for a living! Did I even mention anything about what you, or anybody else, does for a living?


    Quote Originally Posted by Katy_S3
    Are you referring to me as a prick/pikey/chav??
    Christ on a bike! The world does not revolve around you dear! It seems English is a lost art these days. I reffered to no-one as a pikey/chav, I used the terms as an analogy. RE-READ THE POST. Given your chosen 'career' I would have thought you would realise the importance of having information that allows you to build a profile/opinion of those around you so you can make an informed decision about who or not to give the time of day to. In no way did I refer to anyone, specifically or incidentally, in my post. Least of all you... you have only just joined the bloody site!


    Quote Originally Posted by Katy_S3
    My 13 points are not a claim to fame i have paid dearly for them

    a) i had to put my career in the police on hold for 3 yrs
    b) my insurance is sky high
    c) i cannot risk getting caught again so therefore my driving is also effected
    And rightly so. I'm also beginning to get an idea how you managed to keep your licence with 13 points (Oh dear, another can of worms!).


    Quote Originally Posted by Katy_S3
    I do not think i'm cool as **** for getting these points however i do laugh at the fact im 23 and mangaed to get caught so many times, i'd say im def no good at covert operations!!
    Oh yes, hilarious... call me a doctor...


    Quote Originally Posted by Katy_S3
    So take your name calling back to the playground, this is a discussion not an oppurtunity for you to start hurling abuse.
    So, exactly whom did I specifically, or even incidentally, call names and start hurling abuse at?

    I'm not going to have this argument again. I'm always very, very careful about what I type... I never (usually) type the first thing that comes into my head and just submit it straight away. I put a lot of thought and consideration into what I post, I do not like offending anyone unless I actually mean it. I actually make use of the "Preview Post" button before I post most things too, just to be sure of what I am saying.

    I would suggest that the 13 points on your licence is not the only thing holding your career back. And yes, I did mean that one!


  23. #62
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    Shades I've no idea why you still continue to have a go at people with points and "respect" people with no points.
    "rightly deserve to have no points, and therefore get respect"
    Points on your licence just means you do a lot of driving.
    No points means you do very little driving or are extremely lucky. Neither of which deserves any respect (even yours).
    These are the facts. They bear no relation to how good or bad a driver you are unless you are a completely brainless gullible muppet who naively belives everything they read in the papers.
    People don't wear them like a badge, they are seriously worried about their livelihoods being threatened by pen pushing deskjockey civil servants who have seized an opportunity to make a fortune in the name of safety.
    Research doesn't support it, the police don't support it and unfortunately neither do the accident figures for the last 10 years.

    You're blinkered view of road safety is unfortunately the law, so you've won. I'm sure that will be a great comfort to all those thousands of accident victims that continue to clog up our hospitals thanks to views like yours that have failed to protect them.
    Last edited by AndyMac; 12th July 2007 at 22:44.

  24. #63
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    I'm sorry to say, but speeding, is speeding!. Wether it's 31 in a 30 or 59 in a 30, you was speeding, not armed robbery or paedophilia I agree, but it's breaking the law, and I'm sure we all do it on a regular basis. If you get caught, own up to it, it's not the end of the world.
    How are you taxed more for having payed a fine or getting points on your licence?

    Each to their own I guess...
    JoJo is that not a bit extreme? I'm all for enforcing the law but when even the police are doing 80 on a 70 mph highway what exactly does that tell us? The police wont even pull you over for doing 31 and speed cameras wont either so there is a margin of error available.

  25. #64
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,836
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpaceCowboy
    JoJo is that not a bit extreme? I'm all for enforcing the law but when even the police are doing 80 on a 70 mph highway what exactly does that tell us? The police wont even pull you over for doing 31 and speed cameras wont either so there is a margin of error available.
    Not in the slightest, I've already mentioned we all do it on a regular basis, 37 in a 30, 55 in a 50 or whatever, my reply was aimed at JCB justifying doing 36 in a 30 zone and saying it's ok, we should be let off etc. We all do it, that's a FACT!, but we don't do it on purpose, it just comes naturally to most of us, like we know the roads, just like a majority of us drivers slowing down for a camera and speeding back up again right after. We are use to driving the way we do, it's become a matter of habit, then we moan about getting 3 points for doing a measly 6mph over the speed limit!
    I'm with Andymac here, the more mileage you do, the more risk you take in getting points on your licence, doesn't reflect your driving skills at all. 3 points is nothing really in this day and age, doesn't really effect premiums, unless the insurer is being anal, then try a different company... just pay the fine, accept that you have been caught and get on with your life.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  26. #65
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,836
    Oh, I also forgot to mention that when police don't stop you for doing say 35 in a 30 zone and 75 on the motorway, it's because they have common sense(upto a certain point), which speed camera's don't have. I'm currently on six points, and that was from a police speedtrap, where thay had a lazer gun to measure my speed, I couldn't exactly deny it, but I've had my moan, gone to court and avoided a ban... and life goes on... just gotta drive like a grandad now lol.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  27. #66
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    Shades I've no idea why you still continue to have a go at people with points and "respect" people with no points.
    "rightly deserve to have no points, and therefore get respect"
    Points on your licence just means you do a lot of driving.
    No points means you do very little driving or are extremely lucky. Neither of which deserves any respect (even yours).
    Why do these things get so out of hand so quickly?

    You have missed the point a little. I am not trying to have a go at anybody, indeed I have not had a go at anybody (well, except Katy_S3... a little, her post annoyed me but I really hope she doesn't take it too personally). If you re-read my post you will see that I am not specifically targetting people with points simply because they have points. I was simply making a point that, by taking previous/future posts/threads into consideration along with points accumulated, or lack thereof, it is possible to see who are the complete knobs who should not be given the time of day and those who, by doing what so many of us seem incapable of doing, deserve to get some respect at least. We make similar judgements about other people in 'everyday' life in almost every possible situation (work/social) so why is it unacceptable to do so here? I was not passing judgement upon everybody with points in general as there are obviously a myriad of reasons why it is possible to rack up points, even for the 'law abiding' citizens amongst us. Yes you are right when you say there are some people with no points simply because they are lucky but that is why I deliberately made reference to also taking the content/tone of posts/threads in consideration before I form an opinion about someone.

    Having points on your licence does not necessarily mean you do a lot of driving however it is entirely logical as far as saying, for example, the more planes you travel on the more likely you are to crash and the more cake you eat the fatter you are likely to become. Driving more does not justify the accumulation of points.


    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    These are the facts. They bear no relation to how good or bad a driver you are unless you are a completely brainless gullible muppet who naively belives everything they read in the papers.
    Once again, I made no reference to points, by themselves, indicating how good or bad a driver one may be.


    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    People don't wear them like a badge
    I'm sorry but some people do, just as pikeys/chavs do with ASBO's. Again, I am not calling anybody a pikey/chav, I am using the terms as an analogy.


    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    they are seriously worried about their livelihoods being threatened by pen pushing deskjockey civil servants who have seized an opportunity to make a fortune in the name of safety. Research doesn't support it, the police don't support it and unfortunately neither do the accident figures for the last 10 years.
    If they were that worried they wouldn't continue to accumulate points if their livelihoods depended upon a licence. If they were that worried they would alter their approach to driving after the first fine/points issued. Breaking the law is breaking the law and if someone loses their job by repeatedly doing so they have no-body to blame but themselves.

    Here we go again with the old revenue chestnut. The ONLY reason so much revenue is being generated is because so many people these days believe themselves to be above the law and blatantly disregard the laws governing speed.

    However you do (sort of, in a roundabout way) raise a very important issue. If the government was really committed to cutting speeding offences in the interest of safety they would raise the minimum fine to something like 1000 which WOULD prove to be a real deterrent to speeding. That's all I'm going to say about that, I really don't want to go down this road again.


    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    You're blinkered view of road safety is unfortunately the law, so you've won. I'm sure that will be a great comfort to all those thousands of accident victims that continue to clog up our hospitals thanks to views like yours that have failed to protect them.
    Won what? Was this a competition? There is nothing unfortunate about the law, its there for a reason, it is the enforcement that is in question. It is not my views that have resulted in thousands of accident victims, it is the individuals who disregard the law and continue to cause accidents due to penalties NOT being SEVERE enough!

  28. #67
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    "It is not my views that have resulted in thousands of accident victims, it is the individuals who disregard the law and continue to cause accidents due to penalties NOT being SEVERE enough!"

    Views like yours are hugely damaging, they disregard all the reasons why people have accidents, distill them down to just one, to the detriment of all the real reasons and worse still promote the idea that as long as you don't break the speed limit you are a safe/good driver.
    Yes people shouldn't speed, but you've already admitted we all do it. If we all do it then the more mileage you do then the more likely you are to get points for it, that's just simple maths.
    You've also admitted that you agree speed camera's and mobile traps don't work, so how are they a deterrent? We have more accidents now than before we had camera's, and by virtue of the fact that many good experienced accident free drivers now have 3, 6 or 9 points, it's devalued the whole speeding debate. Now everyone (except you) considers speeding in a different way i.e it's nothing to do with road safety, just a revenue earner. This is the worrying trend. Most people with points were caught speeding perfectly safely - on a pedestrian free dual carriageway, motorway etc. There view on speeding in areas where it is dangerous to speed is then tainted and it is these areas where you never see a mobile trap.
    What message is that sending out?
    "If the government was really committed to cutting speeding offences in the interest of safety they would raise the minimum fine to something like £1000 which WOULD prove to be a real deterrent to speeding"
    No! Talk about missing the point. There should not be a fine at all, just points and/or speed awareness courses. This would then finally convince the public that the camera's are not there to generate revenue, and claw back some credibility for speed enforcement - that it is actually something to do with road safety.
    "If they were that worried they wouldn't continue to accumulate points if their livelihoods depended upon a licence"
    This is the exact logic of Darling/Ladyman, it doesn't work. People don't go out for a drive with the intent to speed. People who drive for a living are generally the safest drivers on the road (apart from HGV/van drivers).
    Fine and point the morons who have accidents, not the experienced drivers who might potentially have an accident by creeping over the speed limit.

  29. #68
    M44 DUB's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rosyth, Fife, SCOTLAND
    Posts
    152
    JCB i can assure you that the court system wouldn't collapse if no one paid their fines, everyone would be issued with Extracts for Prison instead. I know i would rather take the conditional offer of £60 & 3pp rather than have a criminal conviction with 7 days inside.
    NEW PLATE............WRONG CAR.............

  30. #69
    silver75's Avatar
    Big Ron

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    at work
    Posts
    3,243
    Quote Originally Posted by M44 DUB
    I know i would rather take the conditional offer of 60 & 3pp rather than have a criminal conviction with 7 days inside.
    conditional offer

    LOL we caught your car speeding if you own up and pay us 60 quid we will turn a blind eye and give you 3 points, if you dont then we will put you in jail....

    Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

  31. #70
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    Quote Originally Posted by M44 DUB
    JCB i can assure you that the court system wouldn't collapse if no one paid their fines, everyone would be issued with Extracts for Prison instead. I know i would rather take the conditional offer of 60 & 3pp rather than have a criminal conviction with 7 days inside.
    He didn't mean just ignore the NIP, he meant if everyone declined the fixed penalty and requested a court date instead, which is everyone's absolute legal right.
    I don't think the court system could cope with an additional 2million cases on their books.

  32. #71
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades
    Assumption? Where? Learn English and re-read!

    Yes, you are right, it can happen any day, any time you are driving. But no matter how much you THINK your skillz improve with increased speed and no matter what machine you have strapped yourself in/on you can never, ever, ever account for whats around the next bend.
    How amusing. Your original reply based no facts therefore what else was it other than assumption? Lean English and re-read? If you are so interested in the use of English then why do you start sentances with a conjunction?

    Anyway, in reference to your reply you are right on one thing; a driver can never take in to account what's around the next bend . Please tell me though why this is a valid reason for not exceeding the speed limit?

    While I don't agree wholeheartedly with many principles of advanced motoring, I've taken the time become an IAM certified myself (learn some new 'skillz' init). A good driver anticipates and fast driving doesn't have to mean reckless driving i.e. you can and should actually slow down for potential hazards. This is what is referred to as appropriate use of speed.

    So back to the point here, yet again you make another absurd assumption that is drivers who break the speed limit do so in all situations. Do you realise how ridiculous and small minded you actually sound?

    Your post clearly shows your small minded attitude, and further to this, it tells me your driving is to a mediocre standard meaning you are far more likely to be a danger on the road than some of the people in this post who actually have points on their licence.

    There's no need to reply to this, I have no further interest in what you have to say.

  33. #72
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Something more intelligent to follow!
    Last edited by Shades; 13th July 2007 at 15:09.

  34. #73
    batwad's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beds
    Posts
    841
    I nominate this thread for AS.net Awards 2007 "Fight of the Year".
    03 A3 (8L) TDi quattro Sport, Aluminium Silver with leather, armrest, cruise, xenons and me at the wheel

  35. #74
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by batwad
    I nominate this thread for AS.net Awards 2007 "Fight of the Year".

  36. #75
    StaffsS3's Avatar
    Flat Out

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    125
    I usually only get this kind of entertainment on Pistonheads!!!
    "We don't do these things to escape life, but to stop life escaping us"

  37. #76
    campbell's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    712
    i think everyone speeds from time to time, you would have to be a saint not to.
    why does discussions get out of hand so quickly on here?!

    we can all speed and i agree there is no evidence to suggest that speed traps, gatsos etc decrease accidents etc, it is just to fund the government we have!

    ok in some instances speeding traps etc can serve the public well and the scum that stupidly drive cars like they stole them deserve to locked away (not directed at anyone-speaking in general terms).

    i believe in my opinion speeding can be done safe (right time of night) but i also agree you dont know what is around the corner so through my personal experiences i am a very causcious, safe, observative driver with no points to my name...
    2002 225 S3, metallic black, REVO, 18" RSTT alloys, goodyear Eagle F1s, silver leather heated seats, tinted windows, H&R spacers, black diamond grooved discs & Ferrodo DS2500 pads, BOSE system, xenons, forge DV, samco TIP & upper boost hoses.

  38. #77
    hud at ye bam

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    2,231
    17 years of driving and no points yet . Never been snapped by a camera, and I've always been polite and apologetic when pulled over - seems to work.
    [/sarcasm]

  39. #78
    shineydave's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bradford, Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    driving 30 years and managed to accumulate a grand total of 9 in that time, 3 left that are due to come off in october.

    did get caught on the isle of mann a couple of years ago on the bike when the tariff was 3 for every mph over the limit plus a base of 40, that cost me 70 quid but no points as they have their own government and laws
    Dave

    "If that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell Her I'm not in"

  40. #79
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by mwstewart
    How amusing. Your original reply based no facts therefore what else was it other than assumption? Lean English and re-read? If you are so interested in the use of English then why do you start sentances with a conjunction?

    Anyway, in reference to your reply you are right on one thing; a driver can never take in to account what's around the next bend . Please tell me though why this is a valid reason for not exceeding the speed limit?

    While I don't agree wholeheartedly with many principles of advanced motoring, I've taken the time become an IAM certified myself (learn some new 'skillz' init). A good driver anticipates and fast driving doesn't have to mean reckless driving i.e. you can and should actually slow down for potential hazards. This is what is referred to as appropriate use of speed.

    So back to the point here, yet again you make another absurd assumption that is drivers who break the speed limit do so in all situations. Do you realise how ridiculous and small minded you actually sound?

    Your post clearly shows your small minded attitude, and further to this, it tells me your driving is to a mediocre standard meaning you are far more likely to be a danger on the road than some of the people in this post who actually have points on their licence.

    There's no need to reply to this, I have no further interest in what you have to say.
    Please, quote me the exact passage where I made any assumption? Please quote in context and not use a single sentance that could be used to serve your own purpose. I believe you will struggle... without making assumptions yourself.

    The blindingly obvious reason to why you should stick to speed limits because you don't know what is around the next bend is simply that; you don't know what is around the next bend. Does it not occur to you that, at or below the speed limit, some (notice I said some, I even put it in bold for you!) accidents may be avoidable but above the speed limits they may not be. Speed limits are there for a reason, safety, much the same as solid white lines in the middle of a road. Would you ignore those solid white lines in the same way you ignore speed limits? Have we now become a society were people actually believe that the rules of the road have now become a pic 'n' mix whereby we can choose what is and isn't acceptable for us to adhere to? You may be the 'safest' driver in the world and you may be able to drive fast 'safely' but that does not give you licence to choose which laws to follow. Rules of the road aren't there to eliminate all accidents, that is impossible, rules of the road are there to attempt to limit in someway the consquences should an accident occur.

    At no point have I once mentioned that I believe all drivers who break the speed limits do so in all situations. Now who is making absurd assumptions? If thats what I wanted to say I would have said it.

    Speaking of absurd assumptions how can you possibly tell the standard of my driving by what I have said? There may be reasons why I still have a clean licence other than pure luck. I am not saying I am a better or worse driver than anyone else but surely the fact that I have a clean licence, only ever been stopped by the police due to the brake lights being stuck on in my last car and never been involved in an accident (other than some pr*ck running me off the road into a 5ft ditch on a country lane and causing over 2,500+ damage to my A4) speaks for itself.

    The only person I can see being small minded on here is you. The last sentance of your post compounds that fact. If you took the time you will notice that I have even agreed with some people and thanked them, even if their posts appear to conflict with some views I have expressed. Genuinely I may not have thought about some things so I will stand up and admit it when I have overlooked something and even got something wrong.

  41. #80
    StaffsS3's Avatar
    Flat Out

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    125
    I just can't keep my mouth shut, so I'll add my two peneth for what it is worth!!..........

    Thought I would give you my own perspective as 11 yrs in the police service as both PC and Sgt I feel I am fairly qualified to give my views. Everyone has their views of speeding/gatso's etc and the police. Some I feel are justified, others less so. I also realise that like any profession there are both good and bad police officers.

    My points are;

    1) Yes there are too many Gatso's, and some of the sites of camera vans (which in my force are not staffed by police officers) are sited purely as a money making exercise. Not good, I speak from experience sadly....

    2) Everyone does speed, I'm no hypocrite. In my 11 years I have issued 2 tickets for speeding (a long time ago). On the roads I would rather target those who are travelling criminals than the public who are going about their normal daily lives. We police by consent and rely on the public for their good will. I see no reason for alienating members of the public and think it is sad that the roads are being 'taxed' to such an extent. It's far more rewarding to seize an unninsured vehicle that is being used in crime.

    3) I Enjoy driving, and I enjoy my job. I'm not on a power trip, I see those that are occasionally and I have words. I am lucky to have been trained to the highest police standard, currently being both an advanced and VIP counter terrorist driver. This does not make me the best driver in the world, just makes me well trained.

    4) Speed does kill, when combined with poor observations and the wrong speed for the location/road conditions. Having dealt with a fatal accident recently where 4 young men in their 20's lost their lives, I feel I am qualified to comment. I'm sure the driver of that car thought he had great skills. What saddens me is some of the comments earlier in this thread, nobody is invincible. I could do without witnessing the aftermath of when someone gets it badly wrong. The memories of that accident and helping to lift four mangled bodies into plastic coffins will stick with me for life.

    5) I'm not here to preach, and certainly don't want to hi-jack this thread. These are just my opinions and I realise that by identifying myself I'm putting myself up to be knocked down.

    Like I said earlier, I have 3 points.
    Unlucky?.....No,
    Poor Observations?.......Yes!! (In my defence I did think I was in a 40, hence doing 41 mph)
    Embarassing?........Most definately!!!

    Last edited by StaffsS3; 13th July 2007 at 19:15.
    "We don't do these things to escape life, but to stop life escaping us"

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO