Stone chips...

ROBS3

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I've a ming blue S3, which is in need of detailing. The previous owner must have been a bit of a fan of car washes :no:.

Anyway, before I have this done I want to tackle the fact that it has a lot of stone chips on the bonnet. There is also a very small dent.

I think the best thing is to get the whole bonnet resprayed, but some people have put me off by saying, that they'll never get a good match and that you'll always notice the colour difference etc etc.

I know that you can get the chips repaired but heard that because of the colour you won't get great results - plus the price will probably be the same as a respray.

So have a bit of a dilema - what should I do?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys n' gals...

ps would post pics but tbh, I don't hink they would show up!

Respray is the only option really, just go to a reputable bodyshop and they should get a good match. Its the only way to get rid of them.

There is a product called colourmagic which is a polish and is supplied with a chipstick, which you work into the scratch/chips and then polish over the top. Its not going to be a perfect finish by any means, but if you dont want to get a respray done just yet, this could be a tempary answer??

ROBS3 said:
Afternoon all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I've a ming blue S3, which is in need of detailing. The previous owner must have been a bit of a fan of car washes :no:.

Anyway, before I have this done I want to tackle the fact that it has a lot of stone chips on the bonnet. There is also a very small dent.

I think the best thing is to get the whole bonnet resprayed, but some people have put me off by saying, that they'll never get a good match and that you'll always notice the colour difference etc etc.

I know that you can get the chips repaired but heard that because of the colour you won't get great results - plus the price will probably be the same as a respray.

So have a bit of a dilema - what should I do?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys n' gals...

ps would post pics but tbh, I don't hink they would show up!

I have used a porter cable on my car and the results are great, as for getting the bonnet resprayed, where do you live, I know I guy who is great and cheap. If you had seen what he did to my damaged S3 then you would understand!!!! He also says that as you just match the colour to the code on the car then yuo should have no problems. Is there any clear colour fade on the car. Also what colour is it?

Hope this helps.

I would invest in a good touch up kit. I got mine from audi, it wasn't that expensive. When you have the car clean and all the chips filled with paint, you really struggle to see them from a distance. I would also be wary of spraying a whole bonnet for the reasons mentioned to you before.

If you look on detailing world there is loads of good info on this kind of thing there. Some even wet sand the chips back and get very good results. I have not got the courage to try this myself yet though!

colinra said:
I would invest in a good touch up kit. I got mine from audi, it wasn't that expensive. When you have the car clean and all the chips filled with paint, you really struggle to see them from a distance. I would also be wary of spraying a whole bonnet for the reasons mentioned to you before.

If you look on detailing world there is loads of good info on this kind of thing there. Some even wet sand the chips back and get very good results. I have not got the courage to try this myself yet though!

I really wouldn't worry about a respray, as long as the person you use is good and you get a good price, it's only way to go in my mind.

I think I have the worst stone chipped bonnet, mirrors, wings on the forums.

Its gonna cost me a fortune to sort out but it will get resprayed eventually, the only way to properly sort it out IMO.

Thanks for the replies.

Nick, I live in Surrey, the colour is Ming Blue. If you could recommend a good bodyshop it would be great - thanks

I'm going to look into the touch up kits - maybe best to get the respray done then keep on top of it with the kits after?

Would it be worth getting the car sprayed at a dealers?

Dealers will be perfect job but they will charge way over the average!!

ROBS3 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Nick, I live in Surrey, the colour is Ming Blue. If you could recommend a good bodyshop it would be great - thanks

I'm going to look into the touch up kits - maybe best to get the respray done then keep on top of it with the kits after?

Would it be worth getting the car sprayed at a dealers?

I wouldn't go to a dealer, most Audi dealers use other companies to do their bodywork. I know a man where I live who is fantastic.

I live Nr Reading.

Cool, I'm not too far from Reading. If you could pass on his details. Thanks

Katy_S3 said:
Dealers will be perfect job but they will charge way over the average!!

Not necesserily, they will only use the same techniques as other bodyshops so not guaranteed to be perfect. Plus I think Audi just send their jobs to 'Audi Approved' places anyway they don't actually do the work on site. I think thats the case anyway.

joe6886 said:
Not necesserily, they will only use the same techniques as other bodyshops so not guaranteed to be perfect. Plus I think Audi just send their jobs to 'Audi Approved' places anyway they don't actually do the work on site. I think thats the case anyway.

You are 100% correct.

my front bumper had previosly been resprayed by Audi and they done such sh*t job, they just sprayed over the stone chips!
now the front bumper was peeling off and you can see the original paint!
i had to get the whole bumper rubbed down to bare and sprayed over again and now the bumper looks spot on:icon_thumright:
cant tell the difference at all paid top dollor though but well worth it!

s3ollie said:
There are some audi dealers with onsite audi body shops

"I wouldn't go to a dealer, MOST Audi dealers use other companies to do their bodywork."

:jester:

well find one that has an in house shop and they SHOULD be ok is my point

nickelvery said:
"I wouldn't go to a dealer, MOST Audi dealers use other companies to do their bodywork."

:jester:

After working in the trade for a long time, this is my experience too.

You are best trying to find a local, small business, perhaps family owned who have a good reputation in the area with plenty of word of mouth recommendations.

Just picked up my car from the bodyshop - decided to have the bonnet repsprayed in the end. And I must admit - I'm well impressed - it looks great - colour match is spot on. I'm a real perfectionist too when it comes to these things, and I can't notice a difference.

Thanks for all your input.
Next up, a full detail - just in time for the next meet, can't wait!
Car will be just how it should have been.

dan_a3 said:
There is a product called colourmagic which is a polish and is supplied with a chipstick, which you work into the scratch/chips and then polish over the top. Its not going to be a perfect finish by any means, but if you dont want to get a respray done just yet, this could be a tempary answer??

i use this on mine - it's spot on and the polish is good too.