Badger5EM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Whistle from dash with climate off....

Hi,

I picked up my '03 TDI SPort Quattro A3 today and while driving it home noticed that if i turned the climate control off there was a loud whistle coming from the front of the dash. It could be from the vent on the top of the dash or from the screen, difficult to tell while driving.

Is this a common occurance with the A3? If i turned the climate back on the whistle stopped, any ideas whats causing this?

Cheers

Steve

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    I had these symptoms, and it turned out to be the scuttle panel (the black plastic tray that sis fitted under the wipers. take this out completely, and go for a drive. if it goes away, then it just needs to be fitted properly, and possibly use some double sided sticky foam pads in places...

Neutral

Status
    Thanks, i'll give that a try

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Turn your windscreen wipers on when you hear the noise. Does it disappear?

My wipers whistle on windy days.

Neutral

Status
    i get this whistle with the climate control off too. goes away when climate is back on though. think is just air passing through the fan when its not moving or something.

Neutral

Status
    I had some time to look into this problem today,

I ran the car without the wipers fitted and the moise was still there, next i removed the scuttle tray, then pollen filter, then pollen filter housing. each time the noise was still there.

i then stripped out the glove box and had a feel under the dash while someone blew air from an airline around under the bonnet, i couldn't feel any air coming through.

While driving the car the passenger ran their hand along the front ot the dash where it meets the screen and pressed down on the dash the noise quietened and changed pitch so i think the screen may not be sealed correctly. The previous owners said it had had a replacement screen fitted.

Next pla is to pad the gap between the dash and screen with paper towels and spray a pressure washer at the screen to check for leaks.

In the meantime i have a long strip of foam pressed in the gap which seems to help, the noise used to start at 40mph now it can't be heard until 60.

steve