Quickshift Racing Taipan Intake System

Grant

Reaction score
I noticed that there was a group buy on this product not long ago.

Can anyone tell me how they rate this system?

What performance gains can be expected from such a system?
What is the engine note like on acceleration?
Is it worth the money?
Are there any other systems out there that anyone would recommend as opposed to this system?

i got one of these through the group buy. The engine note is slightly harsher but not like a pipercross or K&N. it is very subtle, also the DV whoosh becomes more noticible but again not at all boy racer-ish.

It looks good under the bonnet and is easy to fit (mainly thanks to Rich supplying all the bits needed).

This particular intake system has a steel mesh filter NOT an oiled filter. Oiled filters are common in most other makes of induction systems. The oil alegedly causes problems with MAF's. Therefore the Taipan system is ideal.

IMO it is worth every penny, the construction is good, sounds good and looks good. Not too sure about performance gains, will find out next monday when the car goes into AMD.

Adam

Sorry if this has already been dicussed before, but is the original airbox actually restrictive?

Will the engine actually breath any better?

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
Sorry if this has already been dicussed before, but is the original airbox actually restrictive?

Will the engine actually breath any better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i did alot of logging in my A3 (Chipped), and it came out with a 4% increase in airflow over the standard airbox witha brand new filter. Intake temps were the same.

Are there any noticeable gains? well honestly, no. My car did, however gain an extra 12lb/ft on the rollers, but as this was not back to back testing, im assuming it was conditions.

I dont have one for the performance gains, but mainly due to the noise it makes. it gives the pretty much lifeless sounding 1.8T a bit of character... but as adam said, its very subtle and not at all intrusive.

Personally i think it was money well spent, but as i sell them, dont take my word for it, listen to someone who has bought one!

If you lookin the groupbuy section you will see the graphs i made from the logged data.

If you have any question/queries, feel free to call/mail/PM me and i will try and answer them.

mobile is 07958 036591 (01993 864739 after 6pm)
mail: richard@jbrperformance.co.uk

Rich

Sounds about right Stuart IIRC, but would check with VAG Parts for their price.

I got a new MAF sensor (S3) through Awesome GTI. Give them a call, I can't remember exactly how much it was, but it wasn't 278 quid.
GBH

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
Ive found it great, especially now its fitted properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif With a turbo intake pipe though, it growls so much more due to the better air flow. Wish id never put on the piperx induction kit as now i need a new MAF at a shocking 278 quid!!!!!! Is this price right btw? My local audi dealer quoted me this.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO NO NO DO NOT DO THAT!!! go to vag parts.. will knock £100 off that price!!!

****** dealers!

Rich

Cheers Rich, looking at receipts,I paid £200 for mine is this a bit on the steep side. If so, who and where are VAG parts
Cheers
GBH

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
Ive found it great, especially now its fitted properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif With a turbo intake pipe though, it growls so much more due to the better air flow. Wish id never put on the piperx induction kit as now i need a new MAF at a shocking 278 quid!!!!!! Is this price right btw? My local audi dealer quoted me this.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO NO NO DO NOT DO THAT!!! go to vag parts.. will knock £100 off that price!!!

****** dealers!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed at him and said 'Oh no, your being serious arent you' and then said, sorry but i think ill try cleaning it again......... Didnt order it. Ill speak to VAG parts first thing tomorrow and Impossible performance too as they are developing a new housing which doesnt restrict the air flow at all so i may trial this for them on my A3 with a new sensor.