Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear 1st Audi \o/

Status

What Oil? 2001 1.8t

Greetings,
    I'm about to set off on my first long drive in my new pride + joy (training course 120 miles away) and having broken a car very badly due to running out of oil a few years ago which landed a very expensive repair bill, im not going to run the risk again! Being a little niave I strolled into halfords thinking I just need some oil and theres a vast vast ammount, using their guide I think I need "10W40 part synthetic", before anyone jumps on the RTFM bandwagon, I have but this is the reason I ask, my manual is on about using oils that meet certain VW specifications - but the oils on the shelf are all xxWxx and/or synthetic and I would rather be safe then sorry hence i'm asking the question
    I don't race at track days and i've not had any tuning / remapping done I just need to know am I about to buy the right oil and is there any value in spending the extra few quid on a brand rather than the cheapest on the pile.
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    the VW specifications should be on the back of the container

1st Gear

Status
    To be honest mate, if your just topping up half a ltr or so its not going to make that much difference what oil you put in it, 10/40 semi-skimmed will be fine. You shouldnt mix mineral oil with synthetic oil, but im sure the last person to do an oil change wouldnt have put mineral oil in it. Just get some decent oil from any factors or accesory shop, shoudnt be more than a fiver for a ltr.

1st Gear 1st Audi \o/

Status
    Thanks for the quick responses i failed to also mention my manual says that there may be better oils and to only take the info there as current for when it was published 6 years ago, I guess I am a bit too sensitive to the oil issue, I know what can happen if it goes pear shaped (RIP my first car - fiat tipo)!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_a3
    shoudnt be more than a fiver for a ltr.
    where do you get your oil
    Built in Germany, Perfected in England

1st Gear

Status
    I was stranded in Salisbury the other day and had to top up the oil. Rung Audi in Worcester and they told me 10/40 fully synthetic is all they use on all their cars so went with that. Touch wood, no probs.