Chris NottAH Fabrications
    You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

Question What is this? & How to top it up?

As the title says, what is this? Coolant? or power steering thingy? and how exactly do I go about toping it up as mine is on the low mark?

2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

2. # ADS
    ADS

RD350YPVS - Loves 2 stroke oil

Status
    Its the coolant expansion tank, needs topping up with the correct grade of coolant which i THINK is G12 but i stand to be corrected?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    It will be ok to top up with water upto the max mark, but if you are anal about it, G12 is the stuff you want, around a fiver for a bottle.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    lol cheers guys, I think I will be anal about it Joe , you forgot to mention to make sure that the water isn't cold or else if you're engine it warm it could cause some nasty problems
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

Status
    i just put water in mine! whats this G12 stuff?

Xbox online id - supaed133

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edward_harris
    i just put water in mine! whats this G12 stuff?
    G12 is the actual coolant stuff that VAG cars use, it's ok to top it up with water every now and then, but you don't want to water down the coolant too much, so some people prefer to use G12 to top up.

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    G12 is the actual coolant stuff that VAG cars use, it's ok to top it up with water every now and then, but you don't want to water down the coolant too much, so some people prefer to use G12 to top up.
    Oops when my rad hose cam off i just filled it all back up with water! should i just drain it all then put in this G12?

Xbox online id - supaed133

4th Gear

Status
    Without the G12 at the correct dilution you will have inadequate protection against frost and no protection against corrosion.

Get some G12 and make sure you have the correct mixture. Anti-freeze is not anti-freeze anymore. It's there to protect the engine against more than just frost.

If you are using only water or a very weak solution of G12 then you're engines water ways will be rusting away nicely.

It's ok to top up with plain water now and again but I would always try and use the correct mixture.
    Last edited by marms; 30th June 2007 at 15:51.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

6th Gear

Status
    you have to wonder though, why you need to top it up? Mine never uses a drop, in 7 years with Mk4's and audis I have never had to top up the coolant..? Just keep your eye on the useage.../??

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by simch
    you have to wonder though, why you need to top it up? Mine never uses a drop, in 7 years with Mk4's and audis I have never had to top up the coolant..? Just keep your eye on the useage.../??

Mine had an ever so slow leak, needed topping up every like 4-5months, found out where it was leaking when I had my cambelt done though, it was a little weep from the seals of my waterpump, got me a metal GSF item and not had a problem since!

Status
    Without the G12 at the correct dilution you will have inadequate protection against frost and no protection against corrosion.

Get some G12 and make sure you have the correct mixture. Anti-freeze is not anti-freeze anymore. It's there to protect the engine against more than just frost.

If you are using only water or a very weak solution of G12 then you're engines water ways will be rusting away nicely.

It's ok to top up with plain water now and again but I would always try and use the correct mixture.
    Thats what i was gonna say but you beat me to it

6th Gear

Status
    what a load of rubbish you only need G12 if you ve emptied the whole system. Adding a glass of water to the tank to simply top it up will have no effect on the system at all. There should be enough G12 to make do.

The G12 solution wouldnt be the bear minimum anyway, things would go wrong an awful lot.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

Status
    what a load of rubbish you only need G12 if you ve emptied the whole system. Adding a glass of water to the tank to simply top it up will have no effect on the system at all. There should be enough G12 to make do.
    As said already adding water will do no harm but will weaken the coolant strength IF done many times

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    Damn I never knew this thread would cause such a stir, I would have thought my throttle body cleaning post would of gotten more attention , I spent a lot of work cleaning that bloody thing

Audi S3-BAM

1st Gear

Status
    G12+ and deionised water is what you want. Any good mechanic should be able to do a simple test to tell if you have the correct ratio.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3-ROB
    As said already adding water will do no harm but will weaken the coolant strength IF done many times
    agreed ;-)
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

4th Gear

Status
    I was referring to Edward_Harris post.

It certainly isn't rubbish! If you run your car with inadequate G12 your engine will rust internally and block the radiator and waterways.

He said a hose came off and I think thats a little more than a cup full of coolant lost. Totally agree that a simply top up to of water will be fine. But if you top it up more than a few times I would add some G12 ( and check why I was loosing coolant in the first place).

In Ed's case I would definitely check the mixture as it sounds like he lost a lot of coolant.

G12 is cheap so whats the problem with getting a bottle?
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marms
    I was referring to Edward_Harris post.

It certainly isn't rubbish! If you run your car with inadequate G12 your engine will rust internally and block the radiator and waterways.

He said a hose came off and I think thats a little more than a cup full of coolant lost. Totally agree that a simply top up to of water will be fine. But if you top it up more than a few times I would add some G12 ( and check why I was loosing coolant in the first place).

In Ed's case I would definitely check the mixture as it sounds like he lost a lot of coolant.

G12 is cheap so whats the problem with getting a bottle?
    G12 has to be diluted anyway, the car does not take it neat or it won't run at the correct temperature so half a pint will make no difference.

As for rusting the engine and blocking the waterways, this is very unlikely. Older cars only ran on water eg Ford Cortina, and there are some of them still running 25 years on.

This is immaterial in my case as I have some spare G12 in my garage anyway, its a fiver a bottle from GSF
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net