Brembo's fitted - spacer problem

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
Just had my brembo's fitted yesterday and they feel awesome, a lot more bite than standard but when I brake heavily I get vibrations thru the steering wheel. I had to put 5mm spacers to clear the wheels but they aren't hubcentric. Could this be the reason why it shakes? I don't think its the discs that are warped. Do I need to get the car re tracked?

Any info is appreciated.

Matt

yep! i had exactly the same problem mate, you need hub centric spacers coz the other cheap ones just make your wheels wobble
PM dpm on here thats where i got mine from!

Ash

I use H&R 10mm hubcentric spacers with longer bolts, try these

Thank god for that - I'd love to give Damian some money but I could do with these today. I've seen some Forge ones but they seem a little steep at £36.50 each

get them off damian but in the meantime drive slowly :eyebrows:

I take it you got the Brembo GT kit on.. I`m just trying to do a deal myself.. just worried they won`t it with my 17" standard alloys...

Pat said:
I take it you got the Brembo GT kit on.. I`m just trying to do a deal myself.. just worried they won`t it with my 17" standard alloys...

Yeah but you'll need some hubcentric spacers. The brakes feel like very good - just need to stop the shaking and a track day to try them out properly. Some pics below for you guys.

2007_06300001.jpg

2007_06300002.jpg

2007_06300003.jpg

Pat said:
just worried they won`t it with my 17" standard alloys...

on oem avus, they fit fine apparently. Its just the oem 18"ers that have the problem.

Aky said:
Yeah but you'll need some hubcentric spacers. The brakes feel like very good - just need to stop the shaking and a track day to try them out properly. Some pics below for you guys.

2007_06300001.jpg

2007_06300002.jpg

2007_06300003.jpg
Nice S3...thats the fastest colour innit?

madvw said:
on oem avus, they fit fine apparently. Its just the oem 18"ers that have the problem.

yep, no spacers needed on standard 17" avus wheels

H and R do an 8mil hubcentric spacer (each side). But with bolts and then matchign rear spacers, it can be £100+!

There is still a little vibration but a lot less than before so its drivable. Sould do with driving it on the standard wheels without spacers to see whether it is the discs that are slightly warped or it could be cheap spacers (non H&R). Thats the only problem with buying 2nd hand!

Hope this helps

Did I read this right?
You got vibration whilst braking...but not at speed without braking?

If so, it would suggest there is nothing wrong with the spacers...and either your discs are warped or they are fitted on dirty/warped hub flanges.

Spacers giving wheel wobble would be barely noticable ar 30 MPH...then get more noticable as the speed increases (generally)

As for cheap spacers...I've used many types and a spacer is a spacer...cheap or branded...they all do the same job. So I can't see that being an issue.

But of your brakes are still wobbling...you haven't solved the problem.

Well thats what I thought - a spacer is a spacer! I think it is the disc that is warped as the guy mentioned that his hub was knackered (once I had handed the cash over) so when I get round to it I'll be down to the Seat garage for a new set of discs and hopefully this will cure the problem. My wheels were balanced at the weekend however haven't had the tracking doing which seems a little out - don't think this will affect the braking & shaking.

you will get a shock at the price of discs

id contact bill @ badger 5 for a set of discs

As above....

The discs are a shocking price.

And get grooved and not drilled if you intend on doing track days.

Tell me about it - thinking of going solid just like they come on the LCR.

Can't knackered track rod ends (or other suspension/steering components) cause shaking through the steering wheel under braking aswell? Just a thought :think:
Would i be right in thinking this can be identified through shaking through the steering wheel rather than the brake pedal??

Have a look over on seatcupra.net for discs. Bill Badger has a section over there. I was lucky enough to pick up new grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500s for £275 off a forum member selling off bits. I think Bill sells the grooved items for £125 + vat each.