how wide?

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
how wide can you go on wheels for an s3? also what off set?
cheers

8.5" wide with an offset of ET25-30 for the fronts, and 235 wide tyres max! Rears can accomodate upto 255 section wide tyres, probably can squeeze 9", 9.5" would be rather tight!

255 on the back , wow , might have to order some tommorow , do u reckon it will make the car handle any better

nick-barnes07 said:
255 on the back , wow , might have to order some tommorow , do u reckon it will make the car handle any better

Nope...
Wide rear wheels will make an already numb chassis feel even more numb and will most likely add understeer.

In my view, the S3 is over-tyred as standard on 225s, so you certainly don't need any wider...
I found 8" wide wheels handle sweetest...

Ess_Three said:
Nope...
Wide rear wheels will make an already numb chassis feel even more numb and will most likely add understeer.

In my view, the S3 is over-tyred as standard on 225s, so you certainly don't need any wider...
I found 8" wide wheels handle sweetest...

If you want handling, take Ess's advice, but if BLING and PHAT is priority, then 255's on the rear is the way to go. :cool:

I thought the fashion amongst the terminally stupid, is to fit silly wide wheels (like 10" wide) and stretch 225s (or narrower) onto them...making the car dangerous and hilarious looking in the process?

This 'look' I especially like on FWD hatches...because you really need those 10" wide Porsche 911 rear wheels on your 150 BHP FWD hatch.

Especially pleasing on the eye, is the expanse of unprotected alloy sticking out past the tyres...nice!

Funny that all these heros tell you that their wheels are legal because the tread of the tyre is inside the pulled, rolled and stretched arches...yet they all fit different wheels for the MOT? How very odd...
Muppets.

Ess_Three said:
I thought the fashion amongst the terminally stupid, is to fit silly wide wheels (like 10" wide) and stretch 225s (or narrower) onto them...making the car dangerous and hilarious looking in the process?

This 'look' I especially like on FWD hatches...because you really need those 10" wide Porsche 911 rear wheels on your 150 BHP FWD hatch.

Especially pleasing on the eye, is the expanse of unprotected alloy sticking out past the tyres...nice!

Funny that all these heros tell you that their wheels are legal because the tread of the tyre is inside the pulled, rolled and stretched arches...yet they all fit different wheels for the MOT? How very odd...
Muppets.
:)

Then there is the risk of pulling to bead of the tyre in to the well, loss of air in the process, followed by visit to the hedge. Could use inner tubes?

Ess_Three said:
Muppets.

Better safe than sorry Glenn, we all hate to go back to MOT stations twice! Saying that, I've always had my aftermarket alloys for MOT, never a problem. :)

I'll be stretching 225's on to a 9.5 and running staggered wheels - with wheel adapters too!!! :asskicking:

People shouldn't need to fit MOT wheels...they're wheels should be legal if they are on the road. End of story.

As for 'looking different'...you look as different as you want...just not dangerously so if you are sharing the road with me and other innocent drivers who don't deserve to be collected when a stupidly stretched tyre lets go and causes an accident.

I can't believe the depth of stupidity that causes people to choose looks over safety...the mind boggles, it really does.

i got 235 on the front and rear at the mo , they handle okay as well , chucking all the lowering bits on when they arrive , so that should make it a loy better , best do , it has nearly cost me a £1000 for all the bits